Bushfires, Wildlife and Help.

Lazy Cow

It's a real testament to South Australians, the way people have come together in a desire to help. :notworthy:

As for your koala mittens, R & H, (how cute are they?) unfortunately I think Snifter's right and they probably won't be surplus for long :frown:

If you're keen to keep sewing how about making some bags for Shoe Boxes of Love (SBoL) ? I know they put a call out for them when the firies needed them, but by the looks of it they still need them - probably because SBoL is an ongoing thing.

Here's their link:

http://www.shoeboxesoflove.on.net/index.php/component/content/article/2-uncategorised/47-canyousew.html

LC

Guest Claire-n-tel

I think it is just the Adelaide Koala and Wildlife hospital that are saying they have enough.....

"An animal welfare group is giving koalas injured in the Adelaide Hills bushfire a helping hand, by getting volunteers to sew cotton mittens to protect paws burnt in the blaze.

* NOTE: The Adelaide Koala and Wildlife Hospital has advised it now has enough koala mittens and thanks everyone for their support."

I think it is just the Adelaide Koala and Wildlife hospital that are saying they have enough.....

I was talking to 'my' koala's carer earlier this evening (I totally :notworthy: her!) and she told me that the extra koala mittens will be shared with other rescues - apparently, and sensibly, the charities are coming together so if one has enough, another benefits.

She added ...

Warning: potential cuteness overload follows

Some of the mittens are being used as beds for bats! I'm sorry, I just think that's too cute for words!

:wubclub: LC

Hi all, the IFAW are appealing for people who are good with a needle to make 100% cotton mittens for injured Koalas. You can send them to IFAW 6 Belmore St., Surry Hills 2010 and they will send them to rescue centers in Adelaide and Victoria where they are needed urgently. You can find their simple pattern on the Daily Mail Website under "Wildlife Hospital Launches Mitten Appeal"

I've printed off the pattern for the Koala mittens and will make some up for the poor little things. The media photos of them wearing their mittens because of burned paws (?) is truly heartbreaking.

I've printed off the pattern for the Koala mittens and will make some up for the poor little things.

barbaitch, that's so lovely of you but by all accounts they have enough now.

Some carers won't use them, because they believe the koalas become stressed when their nails are covered. They bind the burned skin with bandages so the claws are visible. This allows them to be put on low pieces of branch in the cage, rather than on the cage floor, which means they are sitting and eating more 'normally'.

Would you be prepared to make roo joey pouches or heat pads instead? I know they need those and there's a pattern on a different thread....

Thanks - and I still can't access the emoticons, so please imagine a 'notworthy' one here lol!

LC

barbaitch, that's so lovely of you but by all accounts they have enough now.

Would you be prepared to make roo joey pouches or heat pads instead? I know they need those and there's a pattern on a different thread....

LC

Thanks, LC; glad to help. I googled 'joey pouch pattern' and up came a variety of styles, so printed one off. I'll get down to Spotlight and pick up some cotton/bunnyrug fabric this aft and will get stitching. I'll also google where best to drop them off, unless you already know and can let me know? Thanks.

where best to drop them off, unless you already know and can let me know? Thanks.

This is a pattern posted on the Fauna Rescue site :

https://wildlifevictoria.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#500000007s546LZxC1QfiNsR53.22QUlSC3hhXY=

That's a fancy one, but the carer said they'd be grateful even for simple cotton pillowcase-type bags!

As as for dropping them off, I only have a private address of the lady who requested I put out a call for them (she doesn't use social media) so obviously I can't give that out. I'd be happy to collect your bags though, if you like? Or we could arrange a drop off at somewhere local to you, maybe?

if any of that works for you, feel free to pm me :)

Thanks again,

LC