Is Adelaide a good place to be

Guest aroundoz

Guest sarahsmartiepants
You come out with some real pearls of wisdom Sarah I can see where you get your name from and I mean that in a nice way believe you me your posts make good reading and good sense

Jill

Hee hee:biglaugh: I do try!

I know what I am talking about! Glad you do too at least someone understands me!!:goofy:

sarah

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest75
Blimey, just about to sign the form of my visa agent to start the process of emigrating to Adelaide on a 475 visa but it sounds like we could be moving to a ghetto full of drug dealers, gangs and rednecks. Has anyone got anything positive to say about the place or would it be easier to do a course in firearms in England or wait till we get to Mossside Oz style??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd just take time to read the forum and see how many are happy here - thst will tell you;)

Guest Guest75
Which bit of leeds r u from? I lived in crossgates, farnley & headingly & used to go out drinking every week in town & dont remember loads of trouble or crime (or am I just looking back throu rose tinted glasses)

I lived in Pudsey.

Had a lot of trouble through Stanningley,Farsely and Bramley.

Guest daveyboy

i sat down for about 4 hours last night and it really helped to read so many good things about the place and that everyone seems to go through the same concerns, now wheres that emigration form?

Guest KateG

We have been in Adelaide or surrounding areas for 3 years. We are unfortunately stuck here because the children are finally settled in good schools and it wouldn't be fair to move them. I hate the racism here most of all, it is deep and very in your face. Adelaide is particularly backwards, the Australian way is not to question anything and bury your head in the sand. So nothing really moves forward and you get ripped off by businesses and government alike. It is rather big brother like here. I happened to complain at about a senior education officer and found myself receiving a letter threatening me with defamation, it all got rather heavy very quickly. It is apparently a common practise to stop people complaining about anything. Needless to say they were just trying to shut me up and failed dismally. There has been huge corruption within political circles here and it is very Americanised.

On the plus side, it is beautiful and the weather is great. Adelaide has it's bikie element and north of the city is rough, as are parts of south of the city. Queensland and Perth have much more to offer in every aspect. However, Queensland has it's rednecks and the Ku Klux Klan in some regions so there does need to be some perspective. Best advice is to see as much as possible before you settle, although for many families with children that is not possible.

Personally we haven't found crime half as bad as the UK, but we are living outside of Adelaide now. The Cronulla riots for example were a pretty disgusting display of Aussie racism at its worst.

I wouldn't go back to the UK, but certainly hope there is more to life than South Australia. Finding the racism very difficult to swallow.

Guest thelincolns

Hi Kate,

that was helpful! it is important to know a bit more about the culture-helps people settling in more easily if they know what to expect (or what not to :skeptical:)

On the racism side, if I may throw in my 2p worth, unfortunately I have experienced it myself living in England. It might sound like an alien concept to many, but believe me I have and am always reminded that I am a foreigner. On many occasions I have been called "bloody European". Have to say things are a lot easier now, but I do get some people patronising me as if I was some sort of culturally challenged person. Only for them to discover that I have "Dr" before my name. Then the fun starts :biglaugh:

Sorry- no offense meant to anyone- just wanted to put things in perspective putting my own case fwd- racism is everywhere. And I haven't started speaking about my home country....

But having said that- where I come from they would be very much in awe of a Brit... assuming superior intellective qualities this time- so reverse racism- there you go :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest The Pottertons
I hate the racism here most of all, it is deep and very in your face.

hi Kate- interesting post. Could you tell me more about the Racism? Who is it against and from? Yvonne x

Guest lastboyscout

Adelaide has problems?:unsure:

Does anyone know where to book a flight to Shangri-La?;)

For the people who are concerned about these so called problems, its simple, don`t go:p

For those that can see the same thing , only 10x worse, in their own country, good luck to the move and see you over there ;)

Guest KateG

Who is the racism directed towards?

Well firstly the poor aborigines. If it wasn't bad enough we stole their children, dumped them in the desert and left them to die, then forced hundreds of aborigines over cliffs in Tasmania to a barbaric watery death. They seem to blame them for just about everything and have little understanding of Australian history. In fact most Aussies I know have very little factual knowledge about Australian history. Mostly because they don't get taught history in schools, although that is changing. Living in Australia is like living on the Trueman Show in one big bubble. The news is toned down, almost every single paper is owned by Murdoch. The media here is really censored, with the exception of Fairfax and The Age.

Secondly if you are Greek or Italian you are a wog? So there is hate directed towards the Europeans although that is not so prevalent now and it is now aimed more at the Vietnamese and Lebanese. When the Cronulla riots started a few Italians were badly beaten as they were mistaken for Lebanese by mistake. Just goes to show the mentality. The Brits can get a hard time, depends where you work and where you live. My husband worked with an Indian chap when we first came over ( 3 years ago and said he felt sick every time he left work because they blatantly called this poor guy Paki to his face and treated him abysmally.

This is a great Australian Anti-racist site http://www.fightdemback.com/

Most Australians are just ignorant souls who are racist because their parents were and don't bother to look any further. I have had many a night trying to argue against racism with Aussie friends but I am wasting my time. Then you have your hardcore Neo-Nazi's and the likes of the Klu Klux Klan. Check out this link on an anti-racist site here and see the abuse they get. http://www.fightdemback.com/about/threats-and-hate-mail/

Racism is world wide sadly. However, at least in the UK it is deemed politicially incorrect, which at least keeps the mainstream population quiet, even if they do harbor racist thoughts. Here people are openly and outwardly racist. These are only my experiences in SA, but my hubby is in the mining industry and has pretty much traveled everywhere. He comes across really hardcore racism all the time.

I just find racism sickening and the fact it is born out of such ignorance is even more frustrating. As in many other countries nationalities tend to stick to their own groups, so Australia is not this multi-cultural hotpot as it loves to advertise. It is a very disjointed society.

Cheers

Kate

We've only been here ten months and I can only speak as I find but we've not come across any racism and we seem to be living in a reasonably crime free area. If you were to ask me to choose between Birmingham or Adelaide - well you'd be pretty stupid to ask me the question in the first place to be honest!

Guest smit
Who is the racism directed towards?

Well firstly the poor aborigines. If it wasn't bad enough we stole their children, dumped them in the desert and left them to die, then forced hundreds of aborigines over cliffs in Tasmania to a barbaric watery death. They seem to blame them for just about everything and have little understanding of Australian history. In fact most Aussies I know have very little factual knowledge about Australian history. Mostly because they don't get taught history in schools, although that is changing. Living in Australia is like living on the Trueman Show in one big bubble. The news is toned down, almost every single paper is owned by Murdoch. The media here is really censored, with the exception of Fairfax and The Age.

Secondly if you are Greek or Italian you are a wog? So there is hate directed towards the Europeans although that is not so prevalent now and it is now aimed more at the Vietnamese and Lebanese. When the Cronulla riots started a few Italians were badly beaten as they were mistaken for Lebanese by mistake. Just goes to show the mentality. The Brits can get a hard time, depends where you work and where you live. My husband worked with an Indian chap when we first came over ( 3 years ago and said he felt sick every time he left work because they blatantly called this poor guy Paki to his face and treated him abysmally.

This is a great Australian Anti-racist site http://www.fightdemback.com/

Most Australians are just ignorant souls who are racist because their parents were and don't bother to look any further. I have had many a night trying to argue against racism with Aussie friends but I am wasting my time. Then you have your hardcore Neo-Nazi's and the likes of the Klu Klux Klan. Check out this link on an anti-racist site here and see the abuse they get. http://www.fightdemback.com/about/threats-and-hate-mail/

Racism is world wide sadly. However, at least in the UK it is deemed politicially incorrect, which at least keeps the mainstream population quiet, even if they do harbor racist thoughts. Here people are openly and outwardly racist. These are only my experiences in SA, but my hubby is in the mining industry and has pretty much traveled everywhere. He comes across really hardcore racism all the time.

I just find racism sickening and the fact it is born out of such ignorance is even more frustrating. As in many other countries nationalities tend to stick to their own groups, so Australia is not this multi-cultural hotpot as it loves to advertise. It is a very disjointed society.

Cheers

Kate

Yes there is racism, especially towards the aboriginies. However being called a wog is no different to being called a pom, a paddy,a sheep shagger IMO, and the ozzies call Pakistanis Pakis because it is the shortened version of the name ( they call them this in the papers also). Paki has become over the years in the UK associated with racism, I dont believe it is seen this way here.They dont seem to like the Lebs though.( another shortened name).

And yes, things arent always rosy for everyone.

Guest thelincolns

Why this attitude about the Lebanese? I have seen it mentioned a few times in the last couple of days... I am preparing myself to be called wog, whilst DH is happy with Pom :goofy:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Why this attitude about the Lebanese? I have seen it mentioned a few times in the last couple of days... I am preparing myself to be called wog, whilst DH is happy with Pom :goofy:
The lebs hang around in large groups and want things to be how they want, not how they are here ie. they dont go with the "when in Rome" .

A wog here is also a cold/bout of gastro or anything annoying:wacko:

Guest sprayer
The lebs hang around in large groups and want things to be how they want, not how they are here ie. they dont go with the "when in Rome" .

A wog here is also a cold/bout of gastro or anything annoying:wacko:

Well they are not helping themselves then surely?

I feel sometimes the racism card is used to much. In my town in UK, it is political correctness gone mad. There is a large number of asians in the town and they sound like the lebs. We have "no-go" areas in the town (council will never admit this) were non asians are not welcome or get beat up. We have had race riots here and the council have said we are now all intergrating. This is not true. I feel like a second class citizen in my own country and cannot wait to move to Australia.

Ps: If I was thinking of moving to Spain for example, then I would make sure my family and I spoke spanish and adapted to there culture.

Guest BAZnDAF

I have always beleived that people will always tend to group via their origin/race/religion, it sort of stands to reason that like minded people keep to their own groups, however, i do think that if you are a foreigner then you should embrace the culture of the country your in and should not try and convert it. But that does then tend to create suburbs of a particular race, which can lead to other problems, but this is the way human beings are, its the same the world over.

Guest taylor family

Adelaide is very poor in most things and for people going there with a family and not much money then most are stuck and if you come from many parts of england you think adelaide is great.

but you get ripped of for most thing and it is cold in winter but if you can try and do a reccie to a few other places and you will see for yourself adelaide is a big con.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kevscotoz
Having Migrated from the UK seven years ago and living in New Zealand and Queensland and having travelled a lot of OZ we found ourselves giving Adelaide a go!!!

We feel this has been a mistake in that the social deprivation and associated problems in Adelaide are far greater than other parts of OZ, it is not as clean and pristine as other areas, has youth culture problem and the level of violent crime is outstanding even on UK terms....a nice looking city in a nice settting but has serious problems at its core.

We are going back to the real Australia.

I feel that people need a balnced view and not the rosy view often posted on here.

And before the attacks begin....you cant deny that 12-15 guys running down a restaurant strip in the city shooting at each other isnt serious and even in the UK is not a common occurence!!!

What do you call 'the real australia?' :err:

Guest KateG
Adelaide is very poor in most things and for people going there with a family and not much money then most are stuck and if you come from many parts of england you think adelaide is great.

but you get ripped of for most thing and it is cold in winter but if you can try and do a reccie to a few other places and you will see for yourself adelaide is a big con.

That is spot on.

Guest Diane

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I came from a lovely part of England, a little country village in Essex, and have been here now for nearly four years... and I think it's lovely! I have met some wonderful people, both Brits and aussies, my daughter's school has a total mixture of great kids from all nationalities, if anyone says anything about me being a pom I just join in the laughter and agree (my accent probably gives it away!), and I haven't felt ripped off by anyone - except perhaps with the petrol prices! But, hey, I felt that i nthe UK too!! I don't think South Australians are backward in any way - just maybe it still has the friendliness that other places lost 20 or so years ago.

It suits me, it suits my family, and if people don't like it, we have a nice quiet airport calling your name!

People have different experiences whenthey come here, some settle in and feel at home straight away, others take some time and some just don't ever. Those in the latter category should voice their concerns/ views to give all sides of the picture, BUT

rather than blanket general bagging of the place, be specific. Adelaide is not going to suit everyone who comes, but instead of stating what other people have said and laughed at say the exact things that are wrong for you. This way people who are like you and in your situation may take into account and validate your experiences.

For example things could be mentioned like...

Missing family

Too cold, you personally want somewhere warmer.

Your line of work is difficult to get into.

You need to spend money updating qualifications.

The things you like to do are not readily available here.

Your wife/ husband hates it and you value their view.

Forums such as these are there to voice opinions and also to provide advice to those following in your footsteps. Scaremongering without specifics opens it up to hurt feelings, auto defence mechanisms and general slagging matches.

So anyone who wants to voice their unhappiness with the place should do it in a constructive way.

Guest KateG
It suits me, it suits my family, and if people don't like it, we have a nice quiet airport calling your name!

That is the typical type of comment that makes people feel they don't want to post honest opinions. I may comment on my feelings about Adelaide, but would never dream of suggesting people get on a plane and go home. I find it really amusing that Brits think they have the right to suggest that other Brits should leave if they don't like it. What right have you to say that. My dad was Australian and his side of the family go way back originating from Rockhampton. My mother is British. I have negative comments about both countries and positive comments about both countries. It just makes me a little cross when Brits starting telling other Brits to go home if they don't like it. Are you an Australian citizen now?

Those Brits who arrived when property and living costs were cheap cannot even imagine how depressing and stressful it is for families with children, to come across to low incomes or non-existent jobs these days. Those Brits who have come over financially secure are loving it here, who wouldn't. If you have money anywhere is great. It is an extra bonus if it is hot with beautiful scenery.

Stop knocking Brits for telling the truth as it is for them. Many Brits are suffering out here and would love to go home, but cannot afford it. So before you tell them to get on a plane perhaps you would like to offer to pay for it. I know numerous people who are desperately ill, cannot afford medication and medical costs here and cannot afford to take families with children back to the UK. We don't all have families to rely on, we don't all have money and we didn't all arrive in the good old days, when property and lifestyle were cheap.

It seems who ever wrote the comment above is a bigot, bully and totally devoid of the realities of struggling families. I always thought these sights were meant to portray a varied set of opinions for new families coming over. Not bash people because you disagree with them. Perhaps you just didn't think before making that comment or perhaps you have no feelings for those families who are now stuck in financial devastation. Try supporting people next time you post. They made an honest comment of how they feel, it was clear which points they were unhappy with. You may not agree, list the good points, some of which you did, but don't start telling people to get on a plane home, when you are an immigrant yourself.

CHARMING.

Kate

Guest leemi1
That is the typical type of comment that makes people feel they don't want to post honest opinions. I may comment on my feelings about Adelaide, but would never dream of suggesting people get on a plane and go home. I find it really amusing that Brits think they have the right to suggest that other Brits should leave if they don't like it. What right have you to say that. My dad was Australian and his side of the family go way back originating from Rockhampton. My mother is British. I have negative comments about both countries and positive comments about both countries. It just makes me a little cross when Brits starting telling other Brits to go home if they don't like it. Are you an Australian citizen now?

Those Brits who arrived when property and living costs were cheap cannot even imagine how depressing and stressful it is for families with children, to come across to low incomes or non-existent jobs these days. Those Brits who have come over financially secure are loving it here, who wouldn't. If you have money anywhere is great. It is an extra bonus if it is hot with beautiful scenery.

Stop knocking Brits for telling the truth as it is for them. Many Brits are suffering out here and would love to go home, but cannot afford it. So before you tell them to get on a plane perhaps you would like to offer to pay for it. I know numerous people who are desperately ill, cannot afford medication and medical costs here and cannot afford to take families with children back to the UK. We don't all have families to rely on, we don't all have money and we didn't all arrive in the good old days, when property and lifestyle were cheap.

It seems who ever wrote the comment above is a bigot, bully and totally devoid of the realities of struggling families. I always thought these sights were meant to portray a varied set of opinions for new families coming over. Not bash people because you disagree with them. Perhaps you just didn't think before making that comment or perhaps you have no feelings for those families who are now stuck in financial devastation. Try supporting people next time you post. They made an honest comment of how they feel, it was clear which points they were unhappy with. You may not agree, list the good points, some of which you did, but don't start telling people to get on a plane home, when you are an immigrant yourself.

CHARMING.

Kate

WELL PUT :notworthy:

this is why i posted a set on questions to find out what some of you thought about oz

Scooterdan, im pleased for you but the statistics dont reflect that...Adelaide has higher crime rates than most parts of the UK its murder rate is higher than London's per capita....people need a balanced view.

MOST PARTS OF UK bloody hell mate you want to live here in liverpool

I was shopping at tesco today when some poor man got shot he was with is 7 year old daughter

NOWHERE in adelaide is worse than here OK belive me :policeman:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
MOST PARTS OF UK bloody hell mate you want to live here in liverpool

I was shopping at tesco today when some poor man got shot he was with is 7 year old daughter

NOWHERE in adelaide is worse than here OK belive me :policeman:

I mean NO offence by this but.......do you believe people dont get shot here? People dont get raped, murdered. The guy getting shot in tescos is terrible, but I am sorry those terrible things happen here too.

sarah