Buying and selling cars - Is it doable here?

richard300

Back in the UK i had a bit of a hobby/sideline that (luckily) happened to make a little money.

I would buy and sell classic/retro Mercedes-Benz, BMW's and a fair few Jaguars.

Basically, i would buy something i liked as a car to own, at price i thought i might make a little money on, do a little fettling and detailing, take some nice pictures and then advertise the vehicle at a price that would see me make a little profit - Sometimes these cars sold quickly and sometimes i got the opportunity to enjoy them for a little while.

I never sold anything that had an issue and i never bought a lemon that might require stitching someone up with.

Now, over here i am at a disadvantage as i'm not 100% familiar with any of the markets and researching prices is something i have to actively spend time doing - But i would still like to dabble and have identified a couple of cars i could work with.

I guess my question is - Can it legally be done here? Or do you need a licence to trade cars?

I'm happy to buy a car, register it in my name, put Rego on it, do the fettling and detailing, use it a bit and then sell.

If you sell more than 4 cars in a year you are deemed to be a dealer for which you need a licence and licensed premises.

You would then be subject to used car warranty act and tax.

Without the above you can be fined $20000

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/business-industry-and-trade/licensing-and-regulation/licensing/occupations-and-trades/second-hand-vehicle-dealer-licence

This is South Australia. You cannot do what you did in the UK as you are not worthy. You have not got a licence. You must embrace the unnecessary paper trail until you have one, whereupon you are still not worthy in the full sense as you still will have to pursue yet more paperwork for things as yet unspecified and unknown. Once you have all the necessary paperwork you will be worthy until they change the requirements upon which you will once again become unworthy.

Welcome to South Australia, the paperwork state.

Hi there,

Me and my wife are soon moving to Adelaide.:wink:

We have a car dealership in Holland wich has been good for the last 7 years. Only the last year has been up and down...

I am wondering if anybody knows how the market is at the moment and has been for the last couple of years?

we sell secondhand cars up to 15k ..and want to continue/start the business in Oz.

Is there someone who started a dealership, would love to get some info.

Thanks Steven

Hi there,

Me and my wife are soon moving to Adelaide.:wink:

We have a car dealership in Holland wich has been good for the last 7 years. Only the last year has been up and down...

I am wondering if anybody knows how the market is at the moment and has been for the last couple of years?

we sell secondhand cars up to 15k ..and want to continue/start the business in Oz.

Is there someone who started a dealership, would love to get some info.

Thanks Steven

You could start with the information on the link below

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/business-industry-and-trade/licensing-and-regulation/licensing/occupations-and-trades/second-hand-vehicle-dealer-licence

Thanks for that!

I'm more keen on how the market is at the moment..hope there's someone out there who can shed a light.

Any other info is welcome ofcourse...

Thanks Steven

Thanks for that!

I'm more keen on how the market is at the moment..hope there's someone out there who can shed a light.

Thanks Steven

Perhaps a motoring forum might have some more specific advice, try the link below

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11398050

Article is 18 months old but nothing much has changed since. You may wish to join and ask for recent information.

Good luck with your research.

Haha that's a great thread in the link above. My favourite reply is

'will get even worse with end of baby bonus.. less bogans updating the VN for VT...'

I know of a few dealers that have disappeared in the 2 years we've been here but most remain.

The car trade is the same everywhere - if you have something desirable at the right price, it will sell. Otherwise you will need a good salesperson.

I don't think anyone can tell you the general state of the trade, in my experience even the dealers will exaggerate or play down how busy they are depending on who they are talking to.

Best of luck with your venture.

Thanks for that!

Thanks Steven

Hi Steven

I have worked in car sales at a dealership for 4 years and the trade has always been steady with about 45 sales per month and plenty of profit in each sale too.I have often thought about opening my own small car yard but it's finding the right spot of land that's the problem!

Cheers Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for that reply, gives me somehowe a bit more confidence coming over..:wink:

45 sales a month is pretty good!

How many cars where there in stock?

What brand did you work for?

What did they do with the trade ins?

I've got so many questions..my mind is sometimes working overhours!

If you prefer you can send by PM

Thanks in advance..Steven