Adware popping up after accessing the forum

Diane

Couple of times in the past few weeks I've had adware pop up on screen when opening up my PIA screen. It's happened often enough that I know it's this site that is triggering it somehow. You get a full page ad open up on screen and by clicking on the X to close it, that enables adware which then puts ad-links on any future page you try and open. You get random words underlined in green with a clickable arrow next to them.

For anyone else getting the same thing, you need to go into tools on your browser - on Chrome for instance I click on the three lines at the top right then select More Tools, then you choose Extensions, and you'll probably find right at the top is some spammy ad site with the 'enabled' box selected. Deselect and bin - and run some software like MalwareBytes (i think that's what it's called) regularly.

I'm no sort of computer expert (obviously) but if it's happening to anyone else, I thought this might be useful

I'd be surprised if its actual adware from this site itself. I'm not aware of any pop ups used on here, the google ads are the things running you see on screen when browsing. Nothing so invasive as pop up ads.

I've not seen anything like you say about on any of my browsing on here. I'll check and see if there could be something just to be sure.

I'd think its perhaps you've gotten something on your computer somewhere/how and its spamming. Pop ups are horrible and often can be a pain to get rid of even if you manage to close them. You can pick them up browsing other pages/sites/links and they can stick around.

Well I keep getting rid of them, then every now and again I open up PIA and up they come again. I've run virus and malware software and adblocker, and it doesn't happen everytime, but each time they have come back it's started from opening the PIA page.