Daylight Saving and smoke alarms.

It's almost that time again...don't forget to change your clocks!

[h=2]3 Apr[/h]Back 1 hour

[h=2]3 Apr 2016 - Daylight Saving Time Ends[/h]When local daylight time is about to reach

Sunday, 3 April 2016, 3:00:00 AM clocks are turned backward 1 hour to

Sunday, 3 April 2016, 2:00:00 AM local standard time instead

Sunrise and sunset will be about 1 hour earlier on 3 Apr 2016 than the day before. There will be more light in the morning.

Also called Fall Back and winter time.

It's also this time of year that fire departments recommend that you change your smoke alarm batteries.

The local hardware stores are promoting batteries by their registers so pick some up and change them...please!

I have this additional info (on the advice of a former fire safety officer).

If your smoke alarm is one of the older ionization alarms it's best to change it for one of the photo electric ones. The ionization alarms only last for 10 years (i stayed at an apartment in Perth and the alarm was 22 years old!!!). The photo electric ones respond quicker.

Beware of cheap smoke alarm purchases at the local Bunnings stores. On their shelves they only have very few of the older ionization alarms (the rest are all photo electric) BUT on the promo section at the front of the store they are selling alarms for $10...right by the register where you pay. DO NOT BUY THEM...these are the older slower responding alarms.....spend a few Dollars more and get a photo electric one.

If you need any help choosing one just ask.

+1 for the smoke alarm battery advice, every rental we have been in i've changed the batteries as soon as we moved in and done it at lease renewal thereafter. Our current rental looked like it had the original batteries in from installation over 7 years ago.

The South Australian law states that every rental must have at least one hard wired (mains) smoke alarm OR a 10 year sealed lithium battery alternative. It is the owners responsibility to ensure that the smoke alarm is compliant and a good agent would have this sorted out before tenants move in.

Our own home is pretty much the same as my furnished rentals..overkill! We have hard wired alarms but also a smoke alarm in EVERY bedroom, lounge and passage area. I understand the logic behind it. A closed door would allow a fire to develop without activating an alarm in another area and most people die of smoke inhalation rather than from fire.

There is a big push for people to replace their older ionization alarms with the quicker acting photo electric ones.

On my trip to Perth their smoke alarm in the holiday rental was 22 years old and the battery had died 7 years previously! Shocking. I was watching the news last night and it's still the case that many house fires are caused by electrical faults.

My OH unplugs adapters, turns off switches, turns tv's off when left on standby etc etc and when challenged by the children who thinks that he's nuts he just gives them a look and says "how many dead children have you taken from burnt out homes?"

It doesn't have to happen.