3 Years in and loving Adelaide

etch123

Hello All!

Just wanted to say Hi and send a quick update on our Journey so far, Firstly thanks to everyone on here for all your support during our migration and transition, this forum was instrumental in so many ways. 3 years in this weekend and we still love Adelaide, in my previous update from a year ago I mentioned that we were building a home up in mount barker, well we took possession of our completed home in November and are loving life up in the Adelaide Hills (yet to face a winter up there though) but nothing ducted heating cant handle. 

I also wanted to encourage new arrivals and those of you hoping to make the move to Adelaide that my experience is that Adelaide is a fantastic place to migrate to and start life a new.  Sure nailing my first job took 11 months, but once I got my foot in, its been really stable and have been made job offers from other companies as well (which I haven't taken) its all about getting you first Aussie job and then when you show that you have Australian experience on your resume, finding other positions is not much of a challenge. In the past 3 years I have been asked the question why are you staying in Adelaide hundreds of times. Firstly I love the pace of life, its not rushed its perfect for my family. And Where else can you build a new home with 4-5 bedrooms on a 600 Sq meter plot for under $500K with a commute of under 40 mins in peak traffic to the heart of a capital city? Not Melbourne or Sydney that's for sure! If your new to Adelaide hang in there! or if you are looking to migrate to Adelaide and are being put off by the negative comments on employment etc, let me put it to you that not many people who find jobs and are employed come back (as I have) to say that everything is fine! 

And if you want to know which Footy team to barrack for* it has to be the Crows! #weflyasone 

Cheers

Etch!

*barrack for. To give support or encouragement to (a person, team, etc.), usually by shouting names, slogans or exhortations. Some claim barrack comes fromAustralian pidgin to poke borak at 'to deride', but its origin is probably from Northern Irish barrack 'to brag; to be boastful'.

• Like 2

I've often wondered how things were going for you, so good to see you drop in with an update. 

Enjoy Mt Barker :)

And yes, Carn The Crows :D We are season members and don't miss a home game. Will also be down in Melbourne later in the year and will see them play there too. Love the footy. 

10 minutes ago, snifter said:

I've often wondered how things were going for you, so good to see you drop in with an update. 

Enjoy Mt Barker :)

And yes, Carn The Crows :D We are season members and don't miss a home game. Will also be down in Melbourne later in the year and will see them play there too. Love the footy. 

Fantastic! I was at the Richmond game last week too! how good was it to get some revenge! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. Great to hear your positive storey. Its quite reassuring and encouraging that we too have made the correct decision.

While we have yet to move , we will do so towards the end of the year.  Our circumstances are a bit different, we are moving inter-state , it still is quite a change moving to somewhere where you have no friends,  family or business/work network, so I am encouraged by your experience. I did find like yourself that it can take awhile to find the first job here, for me it took around 6 months (in Sydney), but thereafter things fell into place quite well. Finding work in Adelaide is my number one challenge, but having 7 years of Aussie experience should make it somewhat easier. We'll see how it goes....

Thanks again for posting... I cant say I'm a big AFL fan...but it beats the hell out of NRL ...so I'll take it...and I hope the kids will see the beauty in it !

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hi @etch123  It's really encouraging to read posts like yours - thank you!  I've been a part of the forum for ages but have commented much.  We got our visas back in May and we've just sold our house so it's all a bit frantic.  These sort of posts remind me that it should all be worth it!   : )

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 9:22 PM, Daisy said:

Hi @etch123  It's really encouraging to read posts like yours - thank you!  I've been a part of the forum for ages but have commented much.  We got our visas back in May and we've just sold our house so it's all a bit frantic.  These sort of posts remind me that it should all be worth it!   : )

Hope its all going well for you that end. Once you reach the point where the house is selling and you are looking to book flights etc it all suddenly starts flying by and before you know it you'll be landing in Aus. 

Good luck with it all and let us know when you arrive ?