Return to UK with Expired Passports

star123

Hi all

finally returning to the UK, and I’ve a question re UK passports, now I was under the impression that me and my 4 children can fly out on our Aussie passports and fly into UK with the Aussie passports then just get on with our lives back in the UK, we are all born and bred UK and emigrated 7 years ago.

we do not have valid uk passports Anymore as they have all expired and I’ll be honest I didn’t think we would need them to fly home with, but I’ve been reading that maybe we do? Or that we can enter on our expired UK passports and with extra info like birth certificates etc... I don’t really want to renew uk ones as it’s going to be very difficult getting 1) a countersignatory as I do not know anyone with a uk passport in the required profession and that has known us all for 2 years and 2) the added expenses of 4 more passports on top of the expense of recently getting the Aussie ones!! 

Also 2 of my children’s father lives in the uk so getting his signature is a nightmare and my other 2 children’s father lives here in Australia (he is staying here and not returning with us ) 

very complicated. Very stressful.  And I’m living on the edge constantly trying to figure out the best, easiest, less expensive and less stressful way of getting us back home.

so with regard to the expired uk passport situ any advice or people that have recently returned and used an expired uk passport be great

thank you all x

I’d expect you can use the Aus passports to enter the UK and get a 6 month visa stamp in and the expired UK ones at the UK immigration as back up. 

You have birth certs you can carry with you to prove their UK citizenship once back.

Double check and ask over on our sister site Poms In Oz. I do recall reading about people not having valid UK passports and using Aus ones to enter the UK and then carrying expired UK ones also.