Where to rent

Phil the dec

Hi everyone

I am currently going through the frustrating process of the visa application. My partner and I have decided that we would like to live Adelaide. We would hopefully be making the permanent move next May 2020. We would be bringing an 11 year old boy and his 19 year old sister. We do not know to much about SA so any info would be appreciated. I am a decorator so would be looking for work in that genre. How is the work situation? We would bring coming with a decent deposit for a house so can anyone recommend where a nice place to settle is. I have looked at Aldinga beach, and read some good reviews.  As I have said we are really going in blind so any information would be great.

Thanks in advance

Hi 

Me and my family moved to Adelaide around 2 and a half years ago and we had never been here or knew anything about SA other than what we had read. We have a 21 year old and 10 year old daughter who live here with us and a 25 year old son who is currently in Sydney. 

I’m an Electrician so similar type of role that you are looking into. I have to say that jobs in the construction industry is booming at the moment whether you work in commercial or domestic. The jobs market is different over here where it’s better to get out there and introduce yourself to companies rather than doing it on line. You will have to get a license to work over here also but you will probably get to that when you are closer to the move. 

We haven’t really been anywhere else in Australia but we love it in Adelaide and we are looking at building our first home in Seaford this year which is not far from Aldinga. We have lived just about 15minutes from the city for the last couple of years and like it around here but a little bit too expensive. 

We prefer the south of the city rather than North. The beaches are really good and much quieter. The roads and connections are pretty decent and improving all the time. 

Adelaide is classed as a small city and it’s very easy to get around and public transport is very good. We never really struggle for things to do.

Hopefully this helps in some way and I’m sure there will be other people with advice on different areas 

Starting out in Aldinga with a 19 year old would be too far out for me personally. Even with a train route from Seaford its still a 15 minute bus ride from Aldinga to Seaford train station. Plus then the train time into the CBD. Or wherever else you happen to need to go (uni; Adelaide or Flinders say or Tafe for example). https://adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/SEAFRD However, it may suit all of your family down to the ground. I've no clue as to your personal wants/preferences/social activities etc, just going on what I know of and take from Aldinga and how it appeals, or rather doesn't appeal to me to live in. People live there happily of course, but it really is not for me and even less so factoring in kids/teens. 

I'd suggest looking a bit closer to the city at least to begin with. Then take your time researching areas, seeing what appeals, looking carefully at schools for your 11 year old (keep in mind high school won't be far away), commute to where your work may be based or tend to take you. If you are a decorator then you could well be travelling a reasonable distance from your home so may want to base yourself somewhat more central to Adelaide itself and not in one of the outer lying small towns or far out suburbs. 

When we moved over we spent 7 months living in Glenelg and used that time to explore, find areas we liked that suited out lifestyles and what we hoped to get out of living here etc. Plus schools for primary and then in future high schools played a big part. We ruled out early on we didn't want beach side suburbs or anywhere on the flat around Adelaide. So we looked to the east, the Hills and the southern hills suburbs mostly. And settled in one of those, about 15 minutes into the southern foothills from where we had been living. Its like being in another world tbh it is so different from the flat city suburb living of Glenelg. Beaches are an easy 15 minute drive away from us now. Plus we are a short drive from the train line into the CBD. And also its about a 30 minute commute by car to the CBD in non rush hour. Can add on an extra 10-15 in rush hour depending on where exactly we are going and what time in rush hour we are in. Can be down at Westfield Marion for mall shopping within 12 minutes or so. And good access to hospitals, GP, dentists, local shops and so on. And up here we are surrounded by amazing wildlife, huge gum trees and open countryside not far from our door. Koalas, roos and even echidnas are often sighted. Sometimes in our garden 😎  But still close to everything thanks to the car and train 🙂

Once it comes to buying a house, your budget will dictate where you can afford to buy. Obviously closer to the CBD or the city beaches and its a fair whack more on the price. You can get more for your money as you move further out north and south but not all of those areas are going to appeal for you to live in the long term. 

• Like 1

Hi our visa took about 9 months from first Emigration interview to gaining the visa. 

Are you doing it yourself or going through a company? I have heard if you do it on your own it can take up to 18 months. It probably depends on what visa you are coming out on too

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 6:54 PM, snifter said:

Starting out in Aldinga with a 19 year old would be too far out for me personally. Even with a train route from Seaford its still a 15 minute bus ride from Aldinga to Seaford train station. Plus then the train time into the CBD. Or wherever else you happen to need to go (uni; Adelaide or Flinders say or Tafe for example). https://adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/SEAFRD However, it may suit all of your family down to the ground. I've no clue as to your personal wants/preferences/social activities etc, just going on what I know of and take from Aldinga and how it appeals, or rather doesn't appeal to me to live in. People live there happily of course, but it really is not for me and even less so factoring in kids/teens. 

I'd suggest looking a bit closer to the city at least to begin with. Then take your time researching areas, seeing what appeals, looking carefully at schools for your 11 year old (keep in mind high school won't be far away), commute to where your work may be based or tend to take you. If you are a decorator then you could well be travelling a reasonable distance from your home so may want to base yourself somewhat more central to Adelaide itself and not in one of the outer lying small towns or far out suburbs. 

When we moved over we spent 7 months living in Glenelg and used that time to explore, find areas we liked that suited out lifestyles and what we hoped to get out of living here etc. Plus schools for primary and then in future high schools played a big part. We ruled out early on we didn't want beach side suburbs or anywhere on the flat around Adelaide. So we looked to the east, the Hills and the southern hills suburbs mostly. And settled in one of those, about 15 minutes into the southern foothills from where we had been living. Its like being in another world tbh it is so different from the flat city suburb living of Glenelg. Beaches are an easy 15 minute drive away from us now. Plus we are a short drive from the train line into the CBD. And also its about a 30 minute commute by car to the CBD in non rush hour. Can add on an extra 10-15 in rush hour depending on where exactly we are going and what time in rush hour we are in. Can be down at Westfield Marion for mall shopping within 12 minutes or so. And good access to hospitals, GP, dentists, local shops and so on. And up here we are surrounded by amazing wildlife, huge gum trees and open countryside not far from our door. Koalas, roos and even echidnas are often sighted. Sometimes in our garden 😎  But still close to everything thanks to the car and train 🙂

Once it comes to buying a house, your budget will dictate where you can afford to buy. Obviously closer to the CBD or the city beaches and its a fair whack more on the price. You can get more for your money as you move further out north and south but not all of those areas are going to appeal for you to live in the long term. 

Hi Snifter,

Your post is very informative, we are also moving over with a 17 and 18 year old. Plans are in motion for October arrival. One of the kids will be going to university either Flinders or uni SA. What is your personal opinion of Blackwood area for travel? I would probably find work in the city as would my hubby. One of the kids will be looking to volunteer at the RSPCA, activities we like are archery and golf. I've looked on Google maps but it's good to get someone's opinion who is already there.

I've got family in Blackwood and it's a lovely part of the world. Feels like you're in the hills but as you're only just in the hills it's much closer to the city and the beach etc than, for example, Stirling. Great in the winter as everyone has log fires burning but it's also worth remembering that it's a couple of degrees cooler in winter up there, and there'll be a bit more rain, frost etc. There's also a small but real risk of bushfire in the summer. 

Blackwood's has a nice little centre, a bit like a British high street with shops, supermarkets, cafes etc. It's really close to the Belair National Park and there's also a train station which is very useful if you want to commute to the CBD (it's about a half hour trip with some great views).

There are some lovely houses, many nestled right in amongst the trees - including lots of interesting mid-century and A-frame type houses if that's your cup of tea. You'll probably have a few local koalas you'll become familar with. Such a nice environment for kicking back with a glass of red.

Flinders University is just down the road (they have a fairly good reputation for nursing and social sciences) and the beach is around 15-20 minute drive away.

The wife and I have spoken about moving there a lot. We probably will one day...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 4:59 AM, Jenki75 said:

Hi Snifter,

Your post is very informative, we are also moving over with a 17 and 18 year old. Plans are in motion for October arrival. One of the kids will be going to university either Flinders or uni SA. What is your personal opinion of Blackwood area for travel? I would probably find work in the city as would my hubby. One of the kids will be looking to volunteer at the RSPCA, activities we like are archery and golf. I've looked on Google maps but it's good to get someone's opinion who is already there.

Blackwood is IMO lovely. We live not far from there and are looking to possibly move there sometime next year. It has good access to the city and elsewhere being on the Belair train line. Plus as has been said, it has a good feel in terms of facilities, shops etc along the main street and off of it. Its also not  bad for driving into the city and as a good starting point to getting elsewhere if needed. Bushfire risk is always something to bear in mind when considering living away from the metro area on the flat. Once you get into the hills you should factor it in. Please know that its not like we all live in tenterhooks the entire bushfire season or that we don't live our usual lives during it. You make sure you have your bushfire plan, do the sensible things like keeping leaves/gutters etc clear around the home and keep an eye daily on the bushfire risk notifications etc. We also live in the same bushfire risk zone and the first year or so and follow the CFS advice etc. Having said that, I'd personally not live at the end of the high side of a steep gum tree covered hill with only a single track road in and out of it. But living on a regular street, with the standard two way road and good access roads in and out of the area, I have no issue with whatsoever. 

With regard to the weather, yes it does get a few degrees cooler in the winter and also in the summer it can be cooler than being down in the city. I actually like that we have that sort of climate up here in the winter. I like it feels like we have seasons as you can see the trails and fields etc change over the year. Plus the wildlife is amazing. We have seen koalas, echidnas, blue tongues and more in our garden. Plus roos do occasionally hop down the street. 

As has been said it also has Belair national park on its doorstep pretty much, plus easy access to the hills and elsewhere. 

If you are considering Blackwood, keep in mind the other suburbs along the train line there also. You could also look at Glenalta, Coromandel valley, Eden Hills and one or two others before you would drop down onto the flat. If going to the city then then the Belair train line will be great. If going to Flinders Uni then its probably the bus to get there. Its easy enough to get to though from up in Blackwood and plenty of buses etc do run to the uni and hospital. Same with those other suburbs I mentioned. 

Re archery, iirc there are a fair few clubs around. I think there is one at O'Halloran Hill and another at Clarendon (only open on weekends IIRC) in terms of distance to travel to, they might be worth looking at. There are a few clubs closer to the city itself and one in the Northern side of the city parklands that seems popular. 

Golf, well, take your pick! There are lots of clubs around. Belair golf course is looking for someone to take over the lease I think but you have options with Blackwood Gold club out near Ironbank and an easy drive from Blackwood or Coro Valley etc. Plus there is Flagstaff Golf club over in Flagstaff Hill. 

Give me a shout via PM anytime. I'm always happy to try to help 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update, we arrived on the 6th of October and looked at about 8 rental properties all over the southern suburbs . We ended up in Mount Barker area and so far we are enjoying the location and commute. 

It is quite a competitive rental market at the moment, so we are happy we secured something with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in a nice location.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...