Hi from Sunny Manchester

Guest Capt Emz I Think

Guest Capt Emz I Think

Hi all

Little bit about my self - I am female, other side of 30, am teacher of IT at a sixth form college. My OH is a pipefitter/welder. I have 2 sons, but my youngest only will be going, he's 12. Myself and my son are quite outgoing, bubbly, enjoy meeting new people ALL the time. I love new and I love a sense of adventure. I want a life where I am not stuck in the rat race - where I feel that I am at the moment. My OH is a little shier, but a lot more layed back than myself.;)

Anyhow I visted the Expo yesterday and after the talks - I felt that SA ticked all the boxes, particularly Adelaide. I then went on this forum yesterday and it really depressed me - people who go over, no jobs for months and even highly skilled people could only just get a job in fast food restaurants - is this really true!!!:err:

I am applying for a 176 visa. I also have an aunty that lives in Sun Valley - think thats the right name, but have only met her a few times in my life, however we do keep in contact via email and letters. I really am concerned that I would get a job, as I probably will have to go over first as many of you say you wont get one until you come over. What are the chances of working in a TAFE college, or for an IT Software Training company???? Is it possible that may OH could get a job on the Olympic dam, if not what are his chances anyhow of getting work as a boilermaker? What will our pay be like? I've looked at bit at houses etc - but I hope yoou can help me and tell me that Adelaide would be the right choice?:unsure:

I hope some of you will get back to me as I value you any info - just I was all excited yesterday and when I read on the forum it made my heart sink!!!:wideeyed:

Hi

Welcome to PIA. Can't answer your questions i'm afraid but there are lots of people already in Adelaide who are full of knowledge and info.

Good luck with everything and hope you find the answers your after on here.

Hi all

Little bit about my self - I am female, other side of 30, am teacher of IT at a sixth form college. My OH is a pipefitter/welder. I have 2 sons, but my youngest only will be going, he's 12. Myself and my son are quite outgoing, bubbly, enjoy meeting new people ALL the time. I love new and I love a sense of adventure. I want a life where I am not stuck in the rat race - where I feel that I am at the moment. My OH is a little shier, but a lot more layed back than myself.;)

Anyhow I visted the Expo yesterday and after the talks - I felt that SA ticked all the boxes, particularly Adelaide. I then went on this forum yesterday and it really depressed me - people who go over, no jobs for months and even highly skilled people could only just get a job in fast food restaurants - is this really true!!!:err:

I am applying for a 176 visa. I also have an aunty that lives in Sun Valley - think thats the right name, but have only met her a few times in my life, however we do keep in contact via email and letters. I really am concerned that I would get a job, as I probably will have to go over first as many of you say you wont get one until you come over. What are the chances of working in a TAFE college, or for an IT Software Training company???? Is it possible that may OH could get a job on the Olympic dam, if not what are his chances anyhow of getting work as a boilermaker? What will our pay be like? I've looked at bit at houses etc - but I hope yoou can help me and tell me that Adelaide would be the right choice?:unsure:

I hope some of you will get back to me as I value you any info - just I was all excited yesterday and when I read on the forum it made my heart sink!!!:wideeyed:

Please dont feel disheartened , there are lots of positive stories on here but recently the forum has been more realistic , in that it isnt always easy for newcomers. The place place to look for job \s to see how the market is in your profession is www.seek.com.au or careerone.com.au . Some people do struggle, others are lucky and gets jobs quickly it all depends on how much in demand your work is.

Why not come for a reccie first to see what you think and suss out the market for jobs? Adelaide is very quiet compared to manchester , i know thats where i am from , good luck x

Capt emz...

We are in the Manchester area(Hyde).

Dont read all that is put on websites as true.

You could spend hours reading posts on lots of website and get very confused.

Just bite the bullet and get your visa and get out there.

If it all goes belly up what have you lost?

You can always move on or as a last resort get a flight back to the crappy UK.

Hope you make your mind up soon...

Rob and Mel

HI there , first of all welcome to PIA, you:ve found a great site , full of mostly helpful people with very good advice.

Also i think you have made the right choice in choosing Adelaide,its such alovely place, whether you get there and settle depends on so many things, but GOOD LUCK anyway.

The reply to your thread from Claire seems to be the mood from people on this site already over there who have been already living our dream !! It seems to be as though getting the visas / selling your house [ i wish ] is the easy bit, i pesonally think the hard work / family / friends and getting the right work will not kick in until you arrive , the euphoria of going and getting your visa clouds are thinkings .

We are due to go soon and have flights booked for DEC 6th and cannot wait just to feel the SUN on are backs !! whether its one way depends on our house selling. GOOD LUCK to you to from fellow Mancunians and if we can be of any help just ask.[ SO cold and damp today ].

Louise n Wayne

Guest Capt Emz I Think

Hi to all of you

Thanks all for your kind words. I kind of live on the Wigan side of Manchester. I have been researching Oz since June and only now have I thought this is where I want to go. I have spent hours and hours reading and adding to other forums, but have only discovered this one yesterday. Yes I am also registered with Seek, Careerone and Careerjet - I dont know how anybody else feels but I would be quite happy just doing this searching stuff as a full time job :-) I cant go past WH Smiths without wanting to root for mags books etc, but no I havent been to Oz. My OH's brother is a teacher in Melbourne (he's lived there 7 years) and my ex's sister, her husband and their 3 kids have recently just moved to Mackay, QLD. I looked into all these places - Mackay is at the beginning of a boom, but is still really quiet and there isnt much to do just as of yet. Melbourne for me just seems too busy and personally thats why I want to escape the UK, from what I have read Adelaide is inbetween (maybe!!!). I am just in the process of having my skills assessed, George Lombard is the agency I am using. I am glad I have found this forum and am glad that there is support out there. Good luck to us all on this roller Coaster ride, that will get bigger and bigger once we hit Oz (thats if I am lucky enough to!!) :-) PS cant find me smilies to put on - they've done a runner!!!

Capt emz...

We are in the Manchester area(Hyde).

Dont read all that is put on websites as true.

You could spend hours reading posts on lots of website and get very confused.

True but id like to think most people post their own true and accurate opinions. Its hard for people coming here to hear anything negative but its not a point of being negative its being realistic. I know i didnt want to hear or read posts about the realities of emigrating before we came. Be prepared for what stuff life can throw at you and you wont go far wrong. Its a beautiful place is Adelaide, good luck x

Guest MR&MRSC

Hi there, I to am the other side of thirty, nearer fourty in a couple of weeks!, and a stay at home Mum. My o/h is a mechanic and going for Vetassess hopefully next April. Everyone seems so far along the process and we are just beginning.

With a relative over there I would not worry, you have a contact that can put the word out for you when the time is right. I agree with the others - just go for it.

Oh, we are the other side of Manchester to you. Would be nice to keep in touch though. Should my o/h pass Vetassess I think we need to arrange a Manchester meet up (unless someone gets one going before then), there were a couple of people responding to you that live quite near to us but we could me in town.

Leila

Guest chippie74

hi guys!! im a ashton lad been here in adelaide just over 1yr.for us adelaide has been great.We have had ups and downs and thats the fun of starting a new life on the other side of the world!! if you need any advice and if i can help feel free to pm me!! lee