School Near Glenelg

Guest sam2500

Guest sam2500

Hi All,

Finally going on january 12th.

Has anyone any advice, please, on Schools near Glenelg ,Camden park area, which will be near to my OH job and where probably we will be based to start.

My son will be 8 and very sporty.

I have already got his name down at Glenelg Primary, but would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks a lot,

Sue, David, Sam.

Hello, thought someone else might have respondedby now so here goes.

State schools....

In North Glenelg there is St Leonards Primary, smaller than Glenelg.

Brighton Primary

Paringa Primary in North Brighton

Private schools.....

St Marys Memorial (only goes upto gr 5) Glenelg.

Immanuel Lutheran Primary school in Novar Gardens....very well thought of.

Our Lady of Grace in Glengowrie

St Peters Woodlands ( Anglican)

• 2 months later...
Hi All,

Has anyone any advice, please, on Schools near Glenelg ,Camden park area, which will be near to my OH job and where probably we will be based to start.

I have already got his name down at Glenelg Primary, but would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks a lot,

Sue, David, Sam.

my patient round is in glenelg so i can try and find some info out for you if you like :)

Guest sam2500

Hi Clare,

Thank you that would be great!

In case you haven't realised from previous posts, we have put our flight back, and are now due to arrive 25th February.

Any information or help would be fab !

Thanks a lot,

Sue David Sam :)

Guest thebaddeleys
Hi All,

Thanks a lot,

Sue, David, Sam.

Hi Sue,

We live in Glenelg north, just around the corner from st. lenoards primary.

I too have been trying to find out as much as i can about which schools are the best in this area, and from the people I have spoken with its seems that Immanuel Lutheran Primary school (a private school around $4000 per year) is the best one and then st. lenoards ( a much smaller school, and looks lovely from the outside, I see the kids playing out there and it looks like a happy little school) people tend to say they have never heard anything bad about the school but in turn they have never heard anything good either!

Its so hard, would be a little easier if they had OFSTED reports out here.

Good luck with everything, let me know if I can be of any help with anything else.

Kerry x x x

• 6 months later...
Guest heather&dean
Hi All,

Thanks a lot,

Sue, David, Sam.

Hi Sue, David and Sam

I know that it's been a while since you posted above post, but we are in exactly the same position as you were: hoping to rent in Glenelg/Camden park area and need a school for our 11 year old son. We have been looking at St Leonard's on-line which seems small, which I thought would be easier for our son to feel settled.

Where did your son finally end up and how's it all going?

Heather, Dean and Matt x

Guest heather&dean
my patient round is in glenelg so i can try and find some info out for you if you like :)

Hi Clare

I know you posted the above a few months ago. I just wondered whether you did find out any information about the schools in Glenelg/Camden Park area?

We are interested in St Leonard's but without school tables we are finding it quite difficult to get information, but in saying that we've spoken to them on the phone and they were very helpful about how to enroll.

Heather

Guest Sideways Sally

Hello All I am new here . . . moved to Ad in 1978 as a 2 yr old!

Just want to jump in and say DO NOT send your children to Glenelg Primary School. I moved from Golden Grove to Glenelg for work/lifestyle reasons 6 years ago and enrolled my daughter now 9 in GPS when she started school in reception, thinking it would surely be better as Glenelg is a "better" suburb.

It was the most awful place. There is a terrible "what do you have? how much does your Daddy earn?" culture about the school (I earn quite a lot so it certainly wasn't evny just disgust at this attitude) I found the school spent far too much time concentrating on elective subjects and the kids missed out on basic English, Maths, Science - for examp in yr 1 she had Japanese 2 x per week and English 3 x - during which they had to cover Reading, Writing, Spelling and all the other sub-subjects of English at a young age.

After 18 months I was about to send her to St Leonards (has a brilliant reputation in the local area) but we decided to up sticks and move to Sellicks Beach about 45min South. She now goes to a country school Myponga Primary - and I can tell you with a lot less resources they do a much better job! (she was about 12months behind in her reading and has just now caught up to the other kids in her class halfway through yr 3)

FYI I grew up Nth East Wynn Vale/Golden Grove I went to Trinity College at Gawler. I moved to Prospect at 19, Glenelg at 26 and Sellicks at 31.

A few comparisons on areas from "MY" perspective.

North East - Godlen Grove, Wynn Vale, Greenwith, Modbury, Highbury, etc

Great place to grow up, very friendly, lots of good schools and close to most employment (15 mins from major inductrial areas in Elizabeth, 20mins to Dry Creek and 35mins to City) Lots of lovely parks and sporting clubs - not much to do for teenagers if they aren't into sport. House prices are 'average" for Adelaide as a whole, bigger blocks and houses than say Prospect (outer City) or Beach Side City Suburbs. Decent variety of restaurants and food available. 30 mins to nearest Beach (Semaphore)

Prospect, Medindie, Collinswood, Walkerville (might as well include other city bordering areas like Eastern Suburbs, Unley St Peters, Norwood, Mile End - Close to the city and all the expensive private schools, plenty to see and do in city, movies, theatre, art, museums, zoo, parks, cafe's, restaurants. Everything is aplenty but you pay for the priveledge, house prices are much dearer, everyone's needs are accomodated, people tend to keep to themselves. .BUT how do you feel about traffic?

Glenelg, Brighton, Sea Cliff, Henley Beach, - Sea Side Suburbs - 1t5 mins from city, beach on your door stop, plenty to see and do more of an outdoorsy area, very sports orientated, plenty of quality schools both public (govt run) and private, lots to do for all ages if you love being outside, playing sport or being near the beach . . . light skinned, burn easily ppl would hate it! LOTS of quality restaurants, cafes, pubs, almost enough to rival the city! Lots of dog lovers out this way for some reason (they are a feature on the beach side walks) quite a lot of posers and the influx of visitors furing summer months can be unbareable, reasources tend to struggle. Just as expensive as city side suburbs.

South - Fleurieu Peninsula - Sellicks Beach, Myponga, Aldinga, Willunga, McLaren Vale - City is an hour away on the expressway in peak traffic - plenty of small loal shopping centres around to cater for basic needs. Fresh Gourmet food and wine and raw produce on tap everywhere. Very community minded, a decent selection of private and public schools (almost all with school bus service) lots of sport and art activities for kids, very laid back. Beach is on everyone's doorstep, stuff all traffic and HEAPS of Poms esp in Aldinga! This is the Adelaide you dreamt about . . be warned though real city slickers and shopaholics will either hate it or have to be prepared to travel to meet their needs! Houses and land are a lot cheaper out here we just had the choice between a 300sqm block in Seacliff for $260k or the 900sqm block we bought for $160k out here. Bigger houses, more room to move but not as many facilities! A few crappy parks are around . .but did I mention we have the Beach? LOL!

Good luck everyone!

Apologies for spelling grammer mistakes have been up with insomnia since 3am and can't find glasses ANYWHERE!

OH and last tip find a GP (Family Doctor) the minute you arrive, new patients can wait up to 3 - 5 days to see a Dr, pop and in have a "jet lag" check up so when you actually need to see the Dr in a hurry you aren't a "NEW" patient! :)