Our Reccie!!

Guest Lulujim

Guest Lulujim

Hello -

Well we've just got back from our reccie in South Australia thanks to A Place in the Sun. We had a great time filming it and viewed houses in Trott Park (which Amanada kept calling Trotts Park by mistake :biglaugh:), Flagstaff Hill, Glenelg and Mount Barker.

It was really fun, and although they will not give out exact dates, it will be on TV in January.

We made the most of the remaining time as much as we could with a 6 month and 2.5 year old in tow! We were really well looked after by fellow PIA members (you know who you are!) that showed us round, answered all our questions, gave us loads of help and literally took us under their wings! BIG thank you to all those people, it was lovely to see you and spend time with you :notworthy:

We went to LOTS of house opens, supermarkets, shops, Kindergym, went to 4 recruitment agencies, beaches, job interviews, public transport tests for work, hired a car, drove round endless suburbs, did some touristy stuff, Cleland PK, Mt Lofty, saw dolphins, swimming, playgroups etc etc... We saw Andrew Williams from here too, and sought his advice on mortgages etc etc.. He was a MASSIVE help, and has given us realstic figures for houses we can afford and what disposable income that leaves us with etc.. I would recommend him to anyone as his advice was unbiased and truly spot on.

We have come away absolutley in love with South Aus. The weather wans't always sunny and even rained (gasp)! But the skies were still blue and we could still get outside more often than not and it's not even summer yet! The city was clean, had all the shops we could want, (I was worried baout this but think we'll be ok!!) the malls have these fantstaic food halls with everything you could imagine and the smells lure in! I found driving very easy, no traffic whatsoever - and only had to get used to going a bit slower which is no bad thing. The light go from Red to Green with no amber so people are a bit slower setting off, at first I was frustrated by this but after a few weeks I'd adapted to the slower pace of life and was the slow one myself!

The beaches are beautiful. To go for a play on the beach with the girls before their bath and see dolphins in the first break of a wave is hard to believe.. it made our holiday.

We found people to be happy, so keen to chat and so chilled out. We went out for a meal one night and by the end the waiter was sat at our table telling us his life story - there's not so much snobby class system from my experience - and this appealed to us.

I went to one of the schools with a PIA member and was so pleased with what I saw. Having children makes you worry about them more than anything - and I have come back 100% happy that the girls will be happy and confident in Aus.

I could go on and on, but basically we love Adelaide and are just gutted our visas aren't here yet otherwise we wouldn't have come home! We submitted our application nearly 8 months ago and haven't even got a CO yet. What is going on????

Anyway - a big thank you to all we met and helped us out on our holiday - we can't wait to come out and see more of you in Australia x x

Guest vikkiann

Alexis

Wow, it sounds like you had a fab time. It's lovely to read.

We fly out tomorrow night to activate our visa and i'm so hoping it's everything we want it to be.

Good luck with the visa application, hopefully it won't be much longer. I think we was one of the lucky one's.

Vikki

Wow Alexis,

What a fantastic experience you have had! It would be great to see the program. Maybe we can download it from here. Your comment on driving is spot on - I used to be so frustrated with the slow driving here as I was such a speed freak in the UK, but now, well I've learned to really slow up and I really enjoy it now. Good luck with getting a CO and the visa processing and all the best for your future in Adelaide.

Hi!! Glad you are back home safely! Good to hear you enjoyed our lil ol' town, Adelaide.

Looking forward to catching up when you are back again....hope thats not too long off!

Judi xxxx

Guest Dave & Carole

Wow - sounds like you had a fantastic time. Sometimes it seems insane to have made the decision to do this without ever having been to Australia - but all our research led us to think Adelaide was what we are looking for. Your comments made me smile - weather to be outside in, great beaches, friendly people, a slower pace and a great place to be with our 2 young children. Thank you. Just what was needed when a visa seems like an eternity away!

• 4 weeks later...

i am only just catching up on pia and i saw that we've just missed each other in adelaide! - and i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw you are from bracknell :wideyedxmas: - so are we!!!!

sounds like you had a fantastic time (now i can relate to it!) - and i do hope your visa comes through any day now :wubclub:

Guest Lulujim

Thanks for all your nice comments - we are so homesick for Australia which is so strange after only being there for a few weeks!!

For all of those who haven't done a reccie - I have to say we wouldn't have done either if it had not have been for Channel 4, but Adelaide is beautiful - and the pictures you see through your research are exactly how it is - you won't be disappointed!!!

Mozzy - If you fancy meeting up sometime let me know - shame we missed each other in Adelaide. We're really enjoying being down south for a change as our last leg of living in the UK - we're making the most of it and went to visit Santa in Harrods yesterday (both children did cry thought :frownxmas:) Hoping to do Legoland when it re-opens before we go.

Take care, Alexis :emoticon-signxmas:

I must have missed this one! Was wondering whether you would be posting about your trip. Now you need to let everyone know the date for the program, I bet everyone will want to see Adelaide on the TV, especially those of us who have never been.

Me, I just want to see you strutting your stuff on camera!!

Cant wait.

Glad you enjoyed it here. We love it, as you know and yes it des rain here. In fact as I write this it is bucketing down outside. Look forward to your return. Niamh keeps asking when Maggie will come back.:(

Hassle your agent and get things moving. :yesxmas:

Pete

Hi - Yes that is us! We just filmed a bit more last night, Adelaide is on 9th January - aaarrggh. :confusedxmas:

Tracey's mum will record it for us and send the dvd over:yesxmas::biggrinxmas::emoticon-signxmas:

Pete

Guest Lulujim

It's also going to be on Foxtel! They'll be no escaping us!!!

I keep phoning my agent, and she keeps saying there's nothing they can do.. I said 'Well you could RING the DIAC and find out..' and she said 'Oh, is there a phone number'? Hmmm. So glad we spent £££s on them.

Big kiss to Niamh from Mags, hope to see you all soon x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest philomena

Sound great, we are doing our recci in 13days time. I have taken note of the places you visited and will take a look myself, as this is our first visit, not sure whwere to start.