Cherry Picking

Diane

Guest fredhargreaves

Hi Diane - thanks for the reminder - I already phoned Bob (the Brit) who owns Forest Range Cherries. Apparently this season will be very late compared with last year but hence likely to run through the Xmas -> New year period for a change.

I thought one of the others would have sent out an email by now but so far nothing. Suggest check the advertiser What's On - they all advertise there when they are ready.

The trouble with the map is that it becomes available on a certain day but you don't necessarily know who's actually got stuff ready.

Guest gerbras

Hi Everyone

Just found this thread about cherry picking around Adelaide and thought I'd give you an early season update!

The cherry season is a couple of weeks late this year due to the cooler weather, but the lower orchards have started picking this week. Those of us in the high country, where it is a bit cooler, wont be picking until around 1 December 2010.

The Cherry Growers Association is about to release its 2010 map (the official launch of the season is next week). It should be up on their website (cherriessa.com.au) in the next few days.

I notice that a few of you have been to Stella Creek Cherry Farm (which is where I am from) which is great! We have a young English person working for us this year, so say Hi to her if you visit this season! I'm sure she'd be happy to hear a pommy accent for a change!

Our website will be updated with the latest picking details as they come to hand. We are also on Twitter for the first time - and will be sending out orchard updates as they happen (sometimes we have extremely busy days and we expect to have cherries all day, but sell out by 12 noon - it all depends on how many people and how much they pick!). So this year we will be able to "tweet" when it looks like we are running low. If you are planning to visit us to pick some cherries, it would be well worth subscribing to our email list (we send out updates every day or two during harvest) and if you are into twitter, then follow us.

Happy cherry season to you all!

Cheers

mel

Guest bexford

Hi all - just wanted to quickly let my fellow Poms what an amazing spot Stella Creek is!

With the cherry season now upon us I have to say this orchard epitomises cherry growing at its Adelaide Hills best....stunning views around every corner, easy picking under permanent netting, an amazing variety of superb cherries, beautiful picnic spots by the two dams - and absolutely wonderful hosts - if you get the chance to visit this orchard - then DO!

Guest fredhargreaves

@gerbras

Thanks a million. I followed the link to cherriessa.com.au and got a dead link when I clicked for the map.

And what you're saying is that I follow them on twitter, presumably feeding it to my mobile, then when I drive up (the road being out of mobile range nearly all the way) I get there after 12 and they've run out.

I'd say for any of them ring first - Forest Range are always good with an up-to-date phone message - the others vary a bit - some don't answer. I'd say Forest Range and Stella Creek are the main ones to aim for, and they are on the same road only a minute apart. There's another on on the way up but they seem to run out a lot and are a bit pricey. I found that in last year's cherry map there were others listed as PYO who weren't really doing it, or else it seemed like they had pickers and only did PYO occasionally.

BTW the Forest Range website is www.cherries.net.au - that's just them, not cherries generally, and FWIW it seems that they too are using twitter, but with them I always ring first. The other one I referred to doesn't seem to have a website.

@bexford - that's a rather blatant puff for one business - I hope this thread isn't going to go the way of the Finance ones, which are dominated by Financial Advisers touting for trade.

Keep it nice guys!

Fred - if you need a map (although you sound like you know the area and the farms pretty well already!) there is one here: http://cherriessa.com.au/file/CGSA_web_08.pdf

Also there is a comprehensive list of cherry farms around and about SA here: Cherries SA: PYO Cherries, Pick Your Own Cherries & shed door sales in South Australia and (as with any fruit picking) always a good idea to ring before you set out to check availability, pick-your-own options, and opening times. The internet is a wonderful resource, but talking to a real person in real time rather than relying on a website being updated several times a day is always your best bet, I reckon!

For the record, I've got no connection with any of the cherry farms, and don't know any of the people that run any of them - I'm just a total glutton who loves food and for me, having a bowl of shiny cherries in the fridge is the first sign of Christmas here in Adelaide! I also have a husband who likes cycling round the Hills and tells me when he sees the first signs go up!!!!

Guest gerbras

Hi Fred

I said in my post that the map is going up in the next couple of days. It has been converted into web format this morning and is being loaded this afternoon.

I can send you one directly - just let me know your email address.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best wishes

mel

Just had an email from Stella Creek cherries - they're still hoping for picking to start first week in December and there is a launch at Central Markets tomorrow (26th) of the offical start of the Cherry Industry Season startying at 11am, so if you're passing the markets, pop in and say hi to them. I can't wait....cherries + jacaranda blossom = summer is here!