Snakes and spiders.

Guest lizdaz

Hi everyone,

Need some advice concerning moving into a house.

Have just bought a house in the Flagstaff Hill area and am a little concerned about the wildlife and the fact that I have a 10 and 6 year old who would like to play in the garden.

The garden backs onto a reserve and I wondered if there are companies you can get in to clear and tidy the garden so it is safer from snakes and spiders.

Is there such a thing or have I lost the plot and just need to accept the possible dangers of this country.

Also is there anything I should do inside the house to make it safer. Have only been in the country since 10th Dec so lots to learn.

Thanks Liz

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Liz,

Sorry I can't speak for outside, but inside you can always Bomb it That's with

Mortein Bombs not TNT! (Availabl from most supermarkets and a pack off three cans cost about $13 we used 5 cans in our house)

Close all windows set them off and get out, don't come back for an hour or so then ventilate. This is supposed to last a few months and certainly seems to have worked for us, the only nasties we have found have been outside. An ugly looking spider who ran off and a small snake who is no longer!

I did read earlier tonight about somebody having a company in to sort their house out if I can find the thread again I will add it on here for you.

Martin

Hi Liz,

Sorry I can't speak for outside, but inside you can always Bomb it That's with

Mortein Bombs not TNT! (Availabl from most supermarkets and a pack off three cans cost about $13 we used 5 cans in our house)

Close all windows set them off and get out, don't come back for an hour or so then ventilate. This is supposed to last a few months and certainly seems to have worked for us, the only nasties we have found have been outside. An ugly looking spider who ran off and a small snake who is no longer!

I did read earlier tonight about somebody having a company in to sort their house out if I can find the thread again I will add it on here for you.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I think that was a post from OzzieClaretobe and she recommended a firm called AussiieMozzie (AuzzieMozzie?) who did the whole house for 121 dollars. Cheers.

:)

• 1 month later...
Guest lizdaz

Thanks for all your help guys we have used Aussie Mossie he sprayed inside the house.

On another subject does anyone know what we should do about termites we don't have them but do we need to protect the house from them.

The house is 10 years old with brick on the outside, we had a quote from one company who said they lay traps in the ground around the house and they come and empty them during the year.

This would cosy $1600 to set up and $600 a year to maintain.

Any views anyone.

we had uninvited termites in our house dining on our skirting boards so we got a company in. They put traps round the house and on the skirting boards. They came monthly until eradicated and come every three months since. We pay $220 a year plus $77 a visit, the original traps cost about $2000, so your quotes are not bad.

Regarding the original post. We had a rental in Flagstaff Hill which also backed onto a reserve, and we had a 6 year old and 4 year old at the time. We got a gardener in to chop down all the deep vegetation, then he came every 3 weeks just for a tidy up. We never saw any snakes at all the whole 6 months there. A couple of blue tongues, but if you get them, keep them, they are harmless, and keep the snakes away. As for spiders, you will get them wherever you live, so as suggested before.

Shaun

Guest cornish Busdriver

Spiders and snakes are cool.

Just use nature against its self, to keep nasty spiders out of your house just let a few daddy longlegs and a huntsman loose. Yes the huntsman will possibly bite you but there no dangerus.

As for snakes; just dont get to close or step on them and they will go away and just enjoy watching them coz its not everyday your gonna see them.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi everyone,

have I lost the plot and just need to accept the possible dangers of this country.

Thanks Liz

Yes, dont worry too much there are not that many to be seen. They mostly want to stay away form you anyway!

Just exercise caution, keep the garden tidy, no piles of things for things to hide in and keep the grass down short.

Bomb the house if you dont mind the chems in your house. We spray round the outside about once a year.

sarah

Guest Blue Heeler

picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=329

This is a Baby Brown Snake in a swimming pool skimmer box in Flagstaff Hill. It was taken recently during the hot weather when it had taken up residence in a client's pool, apparently to cool down. I thought it was dead at first as it was under water for a good length of time, then it poked its head up above surface and stuck its tongue out.

So - before you go emptying the skimmer box of all those leaves and twigs have a GOOD look first before plunging your hand in coz it will ruin your day if one of these gives you a bite.

Guest lizdaz

Blue Heeler

Can't believe this but since posting my first enquiry I had excactly the same experience after being at the house for only 2-3 weeks,

Was about to put my hand in the skimmer box to find the same size snake in there the identical to the picture you posted.

Maybe the same one visiting all pools in the area!!!!

Liz

Guest Blue Heeler

Hey Liz.

It might be ! Once I calmed down I got the client out and she brought all the family out as well to have a look at it. First time they had seen a snake in the wild and were taking heaps of photos. Then she asked me "what was I going to do with it" ? :nah:

Apparently the babies have as much venom in them as the adults so with that in mind we got the snake catcher in and he took it away.

What with redbacks nesting under the skimmer box lids and snakes inside - Pool Maintenance can be a hazardous job in Flagstaff Hill. The picture was taken in Renwick Street - backing onto a reserve.

What did you do with your squatter ?

Guest lizdaz

Hi,

Can you believe we got the pool net with it's long handle!! and lifted it out and as we have a reserve at he bottom of the garden we through it over the fence.

Possibly not the best thing to do!!! It will now grow up and come back another day!!

Liz