Sign in to follow this  
Guest mightyBouch

Job Market Drying Up?

Guest mightyBouch

Hi

I am coming over on a reccie on April 1st and am desperately trying to arrange interviews/meetings with companies.

All the agencies I have registered with have failed to set anything up due to slow down in the economy and more competition for positions.

Hays recruitment say that their clients are having a lot greater pool of candidates to chose from and are predominantly focusing on people that can start immediately.

Quite disappointed with this as it would have been a great opportunity to talk with companies while I am there.

Anyway, still looking forward to coming over and tasting the Adelaide lifestyle!

Mike

Guest kangomik

Hi Mike.

Enjoy your trip, and do as the recce says, have a good look at everything. Yes jobs are sparse at present, but depending on your timescale for moving out things could be bouncing back strongly.

Guest Nick11

Without a doubt the job situation is getting worse. You could wrap a bag of chips in the newspaper job section this week.

Unless you have a very much in demand job - recruitment agencies won't touch you til you're here living in oz.

Guest CDJ_Edwards

Hi Mike,

you didn't say what work your looking for, but when we where in Adelaide last July on our reccie, i just went knocking on doors.

It was easy for me as i'm in catering, but it could work.

Good luck.

p.s you'll love Adelaide.

Guest Fancy a Beer
    Hi

I am coming over on a reccie on April 1st and am desperately trying to arrange interviews/meetings with companies.

All the agencies I have registered with have failed to set anything up due to slow down in the economy and more competition for positions.

Hays recruitment say that their clients are having a lot greater pool of candidates to chose from and are predominantly focusing on people that can start immediately.

Quite disappointed with this as it would have been a great opportunity to talk with companies while I am there.

Anyway, still looking forward to coming over and tasting the Adelaide lifestyle!

Mike

Personally I think the agencies here are crap anyway, thats my own opinion from my experiences! If you want a job then I would target the companies direct that you would like to talk to!

I also agree with comments previously made, most people will only be interested when you are actually living here!

Yes the job market is drying up. We had a big meeting to discuss the economic climate yesterday at my engineering firm and it looks like redundancies will happen within the next 2 months. I haven't done any work since November! Talking to people who also work in the same industry and they are being laid off. It's looking pretty grim out there.

We aren't doing any unnecessary spending in our house as the future is so uncertain. :unsure:

Temp agencies have actually been calling me more frequently this past month or so, so don't give up hope. It is very typical that they won't want to speak to you until you arrive, so call or rock up with your resume in hand when you get here.

Guest pauljoinoz

I found it really hard to find a job & went from agency to agency only to be told 'no-one is recruiting at the moment & if they are there are so many people applying for 1 position'!!!!!! I was also told that many companies are reducing their staffs hours to cut costs, very worrying!

Although saying this I have managed to find a job but took alot of perserverance & lots of online applications which is frustrating!!!

Good luck!