what to bring?

Guest jakeandshelley

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi

we arrive in Adelaide on the 11th Dec. Just wondered if there was anything worth bringing with regards to toileteries,clothes etc? Also we have a 5 month old should I bring steriliser/bottles etc or are they cheap enough in Adelaide?

Thanks.

Shelley.

Guest Allybinoz42

Definitely bring toiletries if you have a brand you like, I fill my suitcase with John Frieda before coming back as it is sooooo expensive here. Clothes are also more expensive and not as much choice I would stock up on cheaper baby clothes though bare in mind seasons. Clarks shoes are ridiculously expensive also. $70 for a baby pair.

Any goodies you like also make sure they are packaged and not opened with ingredients, as we have strict quarantine.

Guest Helchops

Hey Shelley,

To be honest, we were planning on doing all this and we had to leave a suitcase behind in the end as we were overweight by 20K.

I wouldn't waste suitcase weight buying towels and shoes etc. The 'real' rate of exchange is about 2.2 I've found...which is roughly what you can expect your dollars to buy you.

So, if you're earning £20k in the uk buying baby shoes at £30 or $50k in oz when the shoes are $70 you're slightly better off in oz!

Don't stress, things aren't that expensive.

Also meant to ask whether we should bring football stuff for our boys, shin guards, goalie gloves that kind of thing.

Thanks shelley.

yes soccer is becoming very big.The local National Team is Adelaide United,and they play oiut of hindmarsh(-about 5 mins from the centre of the city). Check schools at enrolment as to which football code they play

Remember, if you bring any electrical goods, the volts and amps are the same, but the plugs are different. So bring an extension cord and change just one plug instead of lots.

:rolleyes:

If you've got it bring it, or if you need to replace it now then buy it and bring it. Not because Oz is really expensive but because you will be paying out loads when you first get here anyway and having additional stuff to buy can make this seem even worse. And you have that whole thing of not knowing where to go to get stuff as well.

Don't be fooled in to thinking everything is really expensive over here. Things like bedding and towels can be bought cheap if you know where to look and don't insist on having the best quality egyptian cotton versions of things. We bought a fitted sheet in K-mart for just $17 which is as good, if not better, than one we bought from Dunelm before we came over. In fact K-mart is my new favourite shop as you can buy most things really cheaply there. I know the quailty isn't always the best and I dread to think about the poor souls that have made the stuff, but we have very little money at the moment so cheap is better than not at all.

Guest Chris_J

Toiletries etc go to cheap as chips, Rexona (sure) for instance is about 1.50 cheaper than Big W or K-Mart, and they have large bottles of shampoo really cheap. Bring nappies sheesh they are expensive here especially if you have Pampers or Huggies especially walkers and training pants. There are a brand with the wiggles on which are quite good and a bit cheaper. Can't advise on bottles as we brought ours but daughter is 2 and half so not using sterilisers or bottle warmer. Bear in mind too, that you can't really divide by 2.2 until you're earning the dollar because you're spending the pound until then.

Guest twinfamily

This is really interesting as I'm getting conflicting advice of what to buy here, what to bring. We have some nice stuff that we will bring with us. However we will need some more furniture as well and I was told to buy it in the uk as it's more expensive over there. Is this true?

We would like quality items like bedding/ linen/ crockery so I was planing on buying them here and shipping it. However, if I can buy things for a similar price there, would much rather do that than wait for our items to be shipped!

What would the general consensus be on what to/not to bring from the uk? (If there is one?)

cheers

jessica

From our recent experience we wished we had brought a hell of a lot more than we did.

If your getting a container (shared or not) bring as much as you can and i would even go out and buy new things to bring (although remember to remove the packaging etc so it does'nt look brand new!)

For all the reasons mentioned before and the one reason that stands out to me is the fact you will have to spend your money on so many things once you get over here that you have not allowed for, the last thing you want is to be shopping for things you could have shipped over.