an update after 4 weeks

Guest dave

hola.

I found a lot of great info on here when I was goin through the visa process.

Stopped postin for a while because people were fallin' out all the time but have been visiting the site again recently.

If anyone's interested here's our 4 week update.

175 Visa granted 1/8/08. Sold house and landed on 16/1/09. Got OAA in Seacliff, looked beatiful. Got to house all on me own while Meet and Greet guy ferried Mrs and kids to house. I'm sittin on the pavement with 7 cases straight off the plane, knackered etc.

Lady walks past "are you moving in here?"

me "yes"

lady " well you want to be careful if you've got kids because the nextdoor neighbours a paedophile"

me "PARDON!"

lady "oh yeah, currently being investigated blah blah blah"

WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA eh!

Meet & Greet turns up with mrs and bambinos. I politely asked him to find us a hotel immediately. Sacked the OAA obviously and ended up in a hotel in brighton for our first night.

The meet and greet volunteer was absolutely fantastic. Didnt know hardly anywhere in Adelaide as he lived in Victor Harbour but was a true gentleman.

Luckily had bought a phone card at Melbourne airport, so managed to telephone the OAA and inform them. Didnt expect any further accom. I know how lucky we were to get the Seacliff one. Everyone upset, jetlagged and in a complete mess. Oaa lady then informed us that they had a sudden spare house in Paradise if we wanted it. Get there for 5:00 and you can have the keys! What a great country.

Realise its a long post, and only covers the firs 10 hours! but things quitened down after that. will post further if anyones interested. Cheers, Dave and family.

hola.

Stopped postin for a while because people were fallin' out all the time but have been visiting the site again recently.

175 Visa granted 1/8/08. Sold house and landed on 16/1/09. Got OAA in Seacliff, looked beatiful. Got to house all on me own while Meet and Greet guy ferried Mrs and kids to house. I'm sittin on the pavement with 7 cases straight off the plane, knackered etc.

me "yes"

lady " well you want to be careful if you've got kids because the nextdoor neighbours a paedophile"

me "PARDON!"

WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA eh!

Meet & Greet turns up with mrs and bambinos. I politely asked him to find us a hotel immediately. Sacked the OAA obviously and ended up in a hotel in brighton for our first night.

The meet and greet volunteer was absolutely fantastic. Didnt know hardly anywhere in Adelaide as he lived in Victor Harbour but was a true gentleman.

Luckily had bought a phone card at Melbourne airport, so managed to telephone the OAA and inform them. Didnt expect any further accom. I know how lucky we were to get the Seacliff one. Everyone upset, jetlagged and in a complete mess. Oaa lady then informed us that they had a sudden spare house in Paradise if we wanted it. Get there for 5:00 and you can have the keys! What a great country.

Realise its a long post, and only covers the firs 10 hours! but things quitened down after that. will post further if anyones interested. Cheers, Dave and family.

welcome to adelaide sorry to hear you had a bad start with the oaa, im sure id have done exactly the same and i believe paradise is a lovely area. Hope things have improved for you since x

Hiya,

I always like to read how other people have got on with the start of their "new life", please post more!!

So sorry to hear about the OAA in Seacliff. Seacliff is such a nice area too, but I guess no where is safe from these bastards and I would have done exactly the same as you.

Judi x

Guest ReadyPenny

Me too! Great to hear stories, both good and bad. I suppose its a busy time when you first arrive, trying to sort all the important stuff out and PIA is probably the last thing you want to think about. BUT for people like us, who are leaving in a week, it's good to understand some of the potential problems and pitfalls that have to be faced.

Thanks for the post, look forward to the next

Mandy

Oh my God! What a start to life in Australia. How horrible! I think you did the right thing, but what if that person didn't tell you that? It's so scary - we just don't know what people are capable of do we? I hope you settle down nicely into the Adelaide way of life which is fab for families, but my God, I hate the thought of pedophiles being around here - I live in Seacliff! We have a three month old granddaughter who lives nearby, so thanks for the warning. We will be extra vigilant now.

Good luck.

Guest ReadyPenny
Penny, how come you got your visa so quick?

I really dont know, there was no rhyme or reason we were just very very lucky indeed. We did supply evidence of a job offer, but so have many others. Sorry cant be of any more help but am still clueless myself!

Mandy

I really dont know, there was no rhyme or reason we were just very very lucky indeed. We did supply evidence of a job offer, but so have many others. Sorry cant be of any more help but am still clueless myself!

Mandy

i think they are definetly speeding up applications for people who already have a job offer. I know this is the case with my brother, he only put his application in in dec, he has a case officer who requested some bits of info and once they have those he should get his visa granted (hopefully in next few weeks yey!!!). Not sure what subclass his is though i know its not 175 or temp :)

Guest ReadyPenny
i think they are definetly speeding up applications for people who already have a job offer. I know this is the case with my brother, he only put his application in in dec, he has a case officer who requested some bits of info and once they have those he should get his visa granted (hopefully in next few weeks yey!!!). Not sure what subclass his is though i know its not 175 or temp :)

Claire

If my memory serves me correctly, is your brother a carpet fitter too? Just being nosey, that's all, no other reason!

Mandy

Claire

If my memory serves me correctly, is your brother a carpet fitter too? Just being nosey, that's all, no other reason!

Mandy

yes he is hun, he couldnt get here on PR as they changed the skills assessment and he learned it all on the job, so no formal training. A guy in modbury has agreed to permanently sponsor him, and hes allowing him to do contract work too. Cant wait til they get here!! I see thats what your other half does too x

Guest redfoxy
hola.

me "yes"

me "PARDON!"

WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA eh!

You poor soles !! The meet and greet isnt up to much is it ?? and also the OAA. We arrived to a wet grey very early sunday morning and it was deserted too, at least we had decent accommodation although we paid private for it and handsomely too !! Hope things are better for you now, especially with children in tow it is such a responsibility !! A real test of charactuer !!

Yes on here we love new arrivals thoughts and stories. Good luck with everything and if you need owt just ask these friendly bunch on here..ok sometimes there is a bit of bickering but mostly that just comes down to a free society and peoples difference of opinion !!

Anyway good luck and taek your time making decisions ! Thats my advice xx

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Dave & Family,

Sorry to hear that your start here in Adelaide was not a good one and hope you have settled now.

We had OOA in Golden Grove when we got here and couldn't fault it to be honest and luckily the neighbors were really kind.

Hope the rest of your new lives here lives up to your expectations and we wish you good luck for the future. Keep on posting.

Martin

Dave,

Keep up the story dude. If that all happened in the first 10 hours I am waiting with baited breath to hear what has happened since.

Clare, I should think you have enough material for your first book. ;) The only thing is no one would ever believe all that could happen to someone in real life. :nah::biglaugh:

Pete

sorry to finish the update where i did but this is just to let you know that the person who claimed the neighbour was a threat, was a nutter. please do not be alarmed if you live in Seacliff. Apologies and will explain fully in later update. Just to repeat, the person who said this to us was making it up.

thanks,

Dave

Wow what a start to your life in Adelaide Dave but welcome having only been here for 4 months ourselves we have had a very eventful start but luckily it hasn't put us off in the slightest we love it here & the kids are settled & enjoying more freedom keep us updated on your progress best of luck to you & your family settling in:D

Hi Dave

Glald to hear you got things sorted out - Paradise is just up the road to us so if you need to know where to find anything, or need to ask anything, feel free! Hoping to have another girlie get together over this way in March as well so if your wife wants to met some other locals, keep an eye out and I'll try and remember to post it up on the Social Section. There has been talk of maybe organising a get together at Morialta Reserve (well worth visiting if you haven't already done so, about ten minutes from you, and almost guaranteed spot to see koalas in the wild!) for this coming weekend, so drop me a PM if you might like to come along and if it goes ahead we'll send you the details.

Regards

Diane (in Highbury)

• 3 weeks later...

since the first update.....

got the Oaa in Paradise and it was ACE! the people at at OAA were fantastic. I know some people dropped for some right s***holes but we were pleased. Stayed in Paradise for 6 weeks and then moved into rental in Netley. Started work on 2/2/09 and have a good job with nice people. Still feel like a fish out of water at times but its really excitin'. Young lads in school and adapted really well. Is now at his second school since landing but is enjoying himself. Little girl really needs to be in kindy but is too young yet. Mrs has coped really well (done miracles, really) and will hopefully have a job sorted in the next 6 weeks. To anybody comin over, it really is lovely. The homesickness hurts, but for me, the possibilities for the kids is managing to outweigh it for the moment. I havent made any pals yet, but went to a meet-up organised by SCOOTERDAN last month (thanks) and really enjoyed it. My missus is startin to make pals and managing the house, kids and me with ease! Thought I would try to catch a fish for tea tonight but failed in spectacular fashion. (never fished before!) If anyone fancies a beer, teaching me how to fish, or even better, a Kickabout,please let me know! Well, theres our boring update. I know we may be still in a "honeymoon" period, but I just love it. Its Ace!