Wedding Speech help

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

Well i need anyones ideas on the above, my daughters boyfriend has literally, 30 minutes ago, proposed to her on the top of Sydney Harbour Bridge, we knew he was going to do it but obviously she didn't.

When he asked us if it was ok , we said go for it on one condition, that he stops barracking for the Port and swears his support for the Crows LOL!!

So anyone been through this or has any ideas, i don't where to start!!

:nah:

Stevo

Guest Linds & Greg

Congratulations for now the stressful time of being father of the bride! However, sorry I am no use at helping with speech writing.

Lx

I have my Dad's speech that he said at my wedding I can't read it as I cry every time especially after I lost him last year. Anyway all I can say is start from the heart...and the rest will probably come. Few anecdotes from when she was a kid.. etc

I am sure you will have plenty to say when the time comes. Find some tips on line if it helps.

Congratulations :-)

Guest Guest5035
Awww that's really exciting! When are they planning on getting married? Does it make you feel really, really old!!!? Congratulations to the happy couple!

1/ Yes

2/ About a year on one of the Pacific Islands, Fiji/Samoa??

3/ REALLY REALLY YES

4/ Thanks

Stevo

Guest Adelaide_bound

Speaking as someone who got married this year and felt very let down by both my parents your daughter will probably want the following in your speech -

a) how much you love her and how proud of her you are

b) how beautiful she looks on the day

c) how glad you are that she choose the now fiance and how much you love him too (even if you don't!)

d) a nice little story about her from when she was a child that shows you remember what she was like when she was little and how much you still loved her back then as you do now (there is a bit of a theme with these points lol)

e) a nice little story about first meeting/the early days of the boyfriend which shows you were paying attention back then

f) that you wish them so much happiness and good fortune over the rest of their lives, and if they ever need your help you are still there for both of them.

Don't try to be funny if you are not, it just makes people think you are strange, and don't try a funny story if it isn't funny, but is just rude. Speak from the heart and you can't go too wrong. And don't forget to cut her some slack when she is going bridezilla on the morning of the wedding! lol

Enjoy! :D

Guest Guest5035
Here's a line you can use:

'Today is such an emotional day. Even the cake's in tears.....'

Its a cracker! Hehe

I was thinking more........................donuts!!

stevo

Guest Dazzlin

Some excellent advice from Adelaide_Bound there. So you probably don't want to say...

"My daughter looks a million dollars, unlike her new husband who looks like he was won in a raffle!"

"Remember, marriage isn't just a word - it's an entire sentence."

"What a great couple you make. You know, marriage asks that a couple takes each other for better or worse which couldn’t be more fitting. [son-in-law's name], you really couldn’t have done any better, as opposed to my daughter, who couldn’t have done any worse."

...and my personal favourite...

"It's funny how history repeats itself. I still remember sending my daughter to bed with a dummy...and it’s happening all over again."

:wink:

Guest guest3462

My dad gave me his speech after my wedding and it was amazing! He wrote it from his heart and he told me afterwards that it took him weeks to figure out what to write. He spoke a bit of my childhood and of my achievements in life and of how proud he was to have me as his daughter. He commented on my dress and how beautiful I looked, also how lovely the bridesmaids were. He said that he hadn't lost a daughter but gained a son and said that he was honoured to accept Rich into our family. He did put some humour into the speech especially as we had a large reception (you won't have this issue if you are going aboad, but I had 200 guests!!) and I had had a real nightmare with the seating plans- he thanked all the guests near the top table for their expensive wedding gifts and the back guests for the tea towel! We got married on my dads birthday which pleased him greatly and he mentioned this also.

My dad is a very proud man and doesn't often show his real emotions, but he cried when giving his speech. I am proud and honoured to have my dad give this speech at my special day.

Good luck with your speech and congratulations on your daughters engagement.

JC x

• 3 weeks later...