Royal Anthem or 'Australia Fair'?

Lazy Cow

I was watching the Sydney ANZAC Day ceremony and they used the Royal Anthem, 'God Save the Queen' rather than 'Advance Australia Fair'. Gotta say I'm not a fan of the monarchy (leaving personalities and worthiness ec out of it) but, as they said, that would have been the song that filled our troops with pride back in 1915 and was used in all ANZAC Day ceremonies until at east 1984.

So, what do you think?

Also...did anyone else listen to Gillard's speech at the Lone Pine ceremony? I might actually like her now :)

LC

Guest Helchops

It's a difficult one.

I guess whether Australian's like it or not, their history is tangled with the British Monarchy although I understand the view that the Monarchy hasn't done too much to support Australia (especially when dumping prisoners!).

Having said that, I think it's right that ANZAC day should actually use God Save the Queen as it quite rightly filled the troops with pride during that time, and I think as a commonwealth country, it still has its place.

I'm not a monarchist by the way but understand the benefits of the Monarchy. Kinda.

There both bloody awful tunes though :wink: I remember when Advance Australian Fair first started to be sung at school as it replaced God Save the Queen and we were all so disappointed it wasn't better......and we were only young kids!

Whichever they sing for ANZAC day shouldn't really matter it is the remembering that counts.............thanks guys.

Got to say I like most of the members of the Royal Family - think they do a good job by and large - but still think Australia has come of age now and deserves independence. After all, America has it and I think Australians are much saner! (Sorry to you Aussie-yanks, you're the exceptions that prove the rule imho!) Was just commenting this morning on how sycophantic Channel 7's Sunrise programme is towards anything royal, made me feel quite queasy!

Really dislike both the British anthem and the Aussie one though - give Scotland independence too, and make "Jerusalem" England's anthem, and ditch the awful "Girt By Sea" song and make "I Still Call Australia Home" the Australian anthem - both far more stirring, and songs that can truly be sung with feeling and passion! And the people they get to sing "Advance Australia Fair" at any event seem specially chosen to make it sound as awful as it possibly can...

Guest Helchops
Got to say I like most of the members of the Royal Family - think they do a good job by and large - but still think Australia has come of age now and deserves independence. After all, America has it and I think Australians are much saner! (Sorry to you Aussie-yanks, you're the exceptions that prove the rule imho!) Was just commenting this morning on how sycophantic Channel 7's Sunrise programme is towards anything royal, made me feel quite queasy!

Really dislike both the British anthem and the Aussie one though - give Scotland independence too, and make "Jerusalem" England's anthem, and ditch the awful "Girt By Sea" song and make "I Still Call Australia Home" the Australian anthem - both far more stirring, and songs that can truly be sung with feeling and passion! And the people they get to sing "Advance Australia Fair" at any event seem specially chosen to make it sound as awful as it possibly can...

Couldn't agree more, thats what I was trying to say - a much more elegant post than my ramblings!

Guest Guest5035
but still think Australia has come of age now and deserves independence. After all, America has it and I think Australians are much saner! (Sorry to you Aussie-yanks, you're the exceptions that prove the rule imho!) Was just commenting this morning on how sycophantic Channel 7's Sunrise programme is towards anything royal, made me feel quite queasy!

now heres a woman after my own heart..

stevo

Guest Guest5035
Even if Australia gets independence though, Stevo, I'm still supporting England in the cricket! :wink:

i've just missed a beat.....whats next Ricky for King...

:err:

stevo