Casual cafe job!

cliffy

Word of warning.This job is advertised regulary. Daughter applied for a job there..owner wishes applicants to work a weekend gratis to prove their abilities...never hear anything again. Daughter reckons there are many many different girls that work there and never hear again...I hear it is common practice here.I assume its the same café. I know of a hairdresser who does the same . Very cruel way to treat kids!!

I thought there were major insurance issues around having someone work in a business for no pay - that's why school-organised work experience is ok, because the school insurance covers them. If there was an accident at work for instance, what would be the work cover situation for someone not "on the books"? And in cafes and bars especially it's not unlikely that someone will cut themselves, slip over, or scald themselves. Any business doing this or considering doing it, should look into the legal situation very carefullly.

Just to add, googling it to find out if what I had heard is correct and just found this on a forum "What matters is that it is against the law in this country to do unpaid trial work. Unfortunately, these situations are very common. Employers should not be allowed to get away with this."

Found this too http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/youth/resources/Trial_Work_Probationary_Employment.pdf

Edited by Diane

They had a different girl each weekend trying out for a couple of months. 1 month later the job is advertised again!!!! I don't believe for one minute none of the girls were suitable. I heard a hairdresser(English) had the girls cleaning for him for a couple of days each before xmas last year..then the short listed 3 had to work a week. Job advert has gone up again recently in the same hairdressers. Shameful!