Moving after GCSE's

Guest ARandyFatDude

Guest ARandyFatDude

Hello, I am moving to Adelaide in the summer and I would have finished my GCSE's in England by the time my family moves. I am confused as to what I would do when I get there, I would like to carry on with my education.

I would like to know whether I would take 6 months out of school (as I think we are 6 months ahead of Aussie kids in England) but whether I would do that or not, would I go to college?, school?, uni?.

Basically, I am just confused as to how the whole system works and was wondering if anyone that's been through the same situation could tell me what I do.

Hi ARandyFatDude

Great name by the way!

I've got three boys ages 6, 13 & 18 so I'm already looking at this. Here's what I think I know:

The equivalent of GCSE's is the School Certificate in OZ. They sit this in year 10 (UK year 11). I think!

then you go onto either Private Collage or TAFE or continue another 2 years to do a Higher Certificate. (Our A' Levels & your yr 12&13).

If you apply to Private Collage/ TAFE you can use your GCSE results:

A is equivalent of a band 6 in OZ

A-6. B-5. C-4. D-3. E-2. F- Band 1

after Higher Certificate you will be able to use your results to apply to university.

hope this helps.

Helen

You don't actually sit any external exams in Year 10, or Year 11 for that matter. If you have done your GCSE's in England, I would think the best thing would be to go into Year 11 here then you have two years before your final exams, which in SA are called SACE (Level 2). Studying a subject at Year 11 is effectively SACE level 1 but althouh you'll probably do school exams, these are not externally marked. Going straight into Year 12 is a big ask, as you'd be getting used to a new school, new country, new subjects etc so I think doing Year 11 first here would be most sensible.

By the way, Australian schools are actually six months ahead of UK ones not behind - my daughter finished school here six months before her old UK classmates finished in England!

PS I am not sure what the 'bands' Helen mentions are - Year 12 students here finish with an ATAR score which is out of 100, and Uni entry levels are based on the ATAR scores. You can go to any school to do Year 11 and 12 - it doesn't have to be a private college or a TAFE, and as far as I know (I have a daughter who has now left school here and a son in Year 11) there is no such thing as a School Certificate or Higher Certificate here - although SACE stands for South Australia Certificate of Education.

Edited by Diane

By the way if you move in August/September (which I assume you mean by summer) then you'd probably do a few months in Year 10 and go up to Year 11 in January next year. It wouldn't be normal to take six months off - you'd want to start getting to know other people your own age as soon as possible, and starting school is the best way to do this.

Thanks Helen, this has helped a lot :smile:

By the way we are on a 176 PR Visa so our sons University fees are the same as Australian citizens pay and not that of International Students (which is about $30,000 per year without it). However, we do not qualify for a loan to pay our fees (about $9000 per year - he's picked the most expensive course going- a business degree!)

I'm not sure which visa your on or what the Collages/TAFE charges are? So may be your best option is the A Level equivalent course at a school and get your PR visa to qualify for the reduced costs at university later.

Helen

Edited by Hels&Lew

Guest ARandyFatDude

Thanks for the help guys :)

I am going to be 17 at the end of the year (26th December), would this be a problem if I was to do as you suggested and join Year 10 in Australia? I would also like to do SACE's whether that's Level 1 or Level 2 I'm not sure. Also what would you say is the best public secondary school to go to in Adelaide and do SACE's in (I will probably focus on Science courses as I am achieving well in them in England)?

P.S It doesn't matter where in or around the city but not too far out.

Guest MorganH1
By the way if you move in August/September (which I assume you mean by summer) then you'd probably do a few months in Year 10 and go up to Year 11 in January next year. It wouldn't be normal to take six months off - you'd want to start getting to know other people your own age as soon as possible, and starting school is the best way to do this.

Hi Diane,Morgan here aged 13 I'm in year nine in Britain. I'm moving to Australia in September do you know what year I will start Australian school in (as you are 6 months ahead of me here) so in September will I go in year 10 and then start year 11 in January 2015?

Hi ARandyFatDude Seems like we're in the same boat then

Morgan

Morgan you will go into yr 9 for September to December most probably to finish our school year then next year go into year 10.

Arandyfatdude 17 is not a problem for slipping into the end of year 10. The age range varies quite a bit within a year level but it doesn't matter by this stage. You will be one of the oldest. If you are really into science you could look at the Maths and science high school at Flinders Uni. It only starts at yr 10 and focuses on maths and sciences. It is not zoned like other high schools so kids can apply from all over.

Guest Guest12727

You need to do SACE level 1 and 2 to gain a university entrance score (ATAR). These are normally Yr 11, 16/17 years old (Level 1) and Yr 12 17 / 18yrs old (Level 2), but some students are accelerated through this and complete some Level2 subjects in Yr 11. You would need to see whether your GSCEs get you any credit for any of the Level 1 subjects - no harm in asking.

Unlike A-levels, here you need to complete a full complement of 5 subjects to complete SACE. Each subject is worth 20 points and the overall ATAR is out of 100. Do you have something in mind for what you want to study at Uni? You can check the SATAC (tertiary admission centre) guide, which will show you if there are any pre-requisite subjects and the sort of score you would be aiming for to get into your program. http://www.satac.edu.au/pages/university-undergraduate,

ATAR scores required for a program don't always indicate the most difficult courses academically, it also is an indication of their popularity or where numbers are restricted. For example, where clinical placements are required to complete a degree, as there are limited places to place students, ATARs tend to be in high 90s.

For people who don't get into / or don't want to go to University there are TAFE courses. Some SACE subjects include a TAFE component, meaning you can leave school with a Certificate, such as Cert 3 in childcare or beginnings of an apprenticeship. These are ideal for people who want a trade as this can be kick started while still at school. The schools organise this, but your school needs to offer what you want to do. This is usually done 1 day per week from what I have seen. Normal school the other 4 days.

In terms of schools, for secondary school here, you need to live in the zone for the school, so unless you know where you are living, it is a bit difficult to recommend. Adelaide High is the most central, just on the West edge of the City. Otherwise, there are good schools in many suburbs close to the city and further out.

As mentioned previously, there are some secondary colleges, where you can do years 11 and 12. To my knowledge these are fee paying - but I don't know about the Flinders Uni one. There is one at Adelaide Uni, right in the City https://usc.adelaide.edu.au/ and and Eynesbury http://www.eynesbury.navitas.com/about-eynesbury also in the City. There may be agents in the UK that you can talk to for advice.

That is a lot of information to digest, I hope you can understand my ramblings.

Guest Guest12727
Hi Diane,Morgan here aged 13 I'm in year nine in Britain. I'm moving to Australia in September do you know what year I will start Australian school in (as you are 6 months ahead of me here) so in September will I go in year 10 and then start year 11 in January 2015?

Hi ARandyFatDude Seems like we're in the same boat then

Morgan

Hi Morgan,

My son turned 14 in December and started Yr 9 in January. There are many kids who are still 13 in his year. I would expect you would go to Yr 9 until the end of the year, then up to Yr 10 next year. This is a good time to join a new school here as Yr 10 is where you get ready for choosing your SACE subjects.

Guest Guest12727
Hi ARandyFatDude

Great name by the way!

I've got three boys ages 6, 13 & 18 so I'm already looking at this. Here's what I think I know:

The equivalent of GCSE's is the School Certificate in OZ. They sit this in year 10 (UK year 11). I think!

then you go onto either Private Collage or TAFE or continue another 2 years to do a Higher Certificate. (Our A' Levels & your yr 12&13).

If you apply to Private Collage/ TAFE you can use your GCSE results:

A is equivalent of a band 6 in OZ

A-6. B-5. C-4. D-3. E-2. F- Band 1

after Higher Certificate you will be able to use your results to apply to university.

Helen

This doesn't sound like the SA system - is it Victorian.

One of the very annoying things here is that the systems are different in each state.

This doesn't sound like the SA system - is it Victorian.

One of the very annoying things here is that the systems are different in each state.

Hi Howde

Yes it could be. I picked up on this information on another forum.

Ive got two sons (Morgan is one of them) who are looking at the education system in Adelaide & Ive totally confused both of them with the wrong information. So Thank you everyone for your sound advice.

Helen