Advice needed on new furniture

Guest Ellie

Guest Ellie

My kids are due new beds. I have seen 2 new beds that are perfect and in the sale!!!! Do I get them or do I buy in Adelaide? I'm getting the matresses when we get there and waiting for beds to arrive. My friend has advised I get them here but I'm still a bit concerned that there will be a problem with customs. I also need new saucepans, plates etc as my Parents live with us and we share the kitchen therefore we have one of most things incl utensils. Do I buy them here or out there? :confused:

I did the same thing for my daughter, I waited until I got here to buy her a bed, but unless you want a cheap ikea/ metal bed frame, I would buy it in the uk.

It probably would be cheaper . When we went into the bed shops, I was told all the beds have a 2/3 month wait, as they were imported!!! We did manage to find a decent quality bed that was in stock, but that was after lots of searching!! (and that was only because they happened to order a few by chance)

We bought 2 new mattresses from the uk & they fit on a standard single bed here, so I would assume that would be the same the other way round.

Pans etc can be bought here, although depending on the quality you want, better quality tend to be pricy.. Harris scarfe/target/ woolworths will probably be best on price.

Guest ReadyPenny

If you are shipping a container, bring as much as you can fit in. Definately buy the beds in UK, mattresses are particularly expensive for not very good quality here. also bring lots of bedding as that can be expensive too, as can decent towels!! As I say, bring everything you can fit into the container!

Mandy

Guest kangomik

bring what ever you can, things aren't cheap here, especially when setting up.

Cheap double bed with mattress is about 700 bucks, the expensive ones easily get to 3K+ (Queen)

Guest guest3462

Buy everything you can in the UK, especially if you are having a container. We bought everything new here when we arrived and it cost us a fortune. Lots of things seem to be cheap chinese made stuff and the quality is not that great, but it costs the earth.

Beds and mattresses are really expensive here, so is bedding. Buy all your winter quilts there, cos they are so expensive here. Check out debenhams sales and next/m&s clearances for all your kitchen stuff too. You can just get the plugs changed on electricals when you get here.

Take advantage of your container space and cram as much in as you possibly can. I know this sounds crazy but once you're here and have to buy stuff you wouldn't particularly choose in the UK you'll kick yourself. The choice here is so much more limited too. Also buy all your clothes there as the fashion is non existent!

Hope I don't sound too negative, because the shopping is the only bad thing about being here. Adelaide is amazing and i'm sure you're going to love your new life here.

Good luck with the move and if you're moving south, give us a shout and we'll meet up for drinks

Take care

Julia xx

Guest Ellie

Thank you all so much for your advice. I have taken it all on board and I'm off to order the beds as a start. We are having a full container so I will buy as much as I can. My friend did tell me to stock up on clothes for my daughter so seems all of us need to stock up! Good advice on the quilts too as I was also going to get them when I got there too. I will have to organise the shipment well as we will have nothing to sleep on lol!!

Guest Ellie
Buy everything you can in the UK, especially if you are having a container. We bought everything new here when we arrived and it cost us a fortune. Lots of things seem to be cheap chinese made stuff and the quality is not that great, but it costs the earth.

Beds and mattresses are really expensive here, so is bedding. Buy all your winter quilts there, cos they are so expensive here. Check out debenhams sales and next/m&s clearances for all your kitchen stuff too. You can just get the plugs changed on electricals when you get here.

Take advantage of your container space and cram as much in as you possibly can. I know this sounds crazy but once you're here and have to buy stuff you wouldn't particularly choose in the UK you'll kick yourself. The choice here is so much more limited too. Also buy all your clothes there as the fashion is non existent!

Hope I don't sound too negative, because the shopping is the only bad thing about being here. Adelaide is amazing and i'm sure you're going to love your new life here.

Good luck with the move and if you're moving south, give us a shout and we'll meet up for drinks

Take care

Julia xx

Hi Julia,

We are actually moving to Aldinga Beach! How cool. So we would love to meet up for a drink when we get there. Our plan is to have the first week or so actually in Adelaide to sort out tax file numbers and transport for Max etc. Also we can then view rental properties that are available there. I was going to try and organise from here so we had an address to head to but was advised not to so not sure really. We will need unfurnished with all the swag on the way!

Hi

We are doing the same thing buying some new stuff and putting it in the container. The removals I have spoken to said they will re-pack it anyway so there will be no issue with customs. We are getting new bed and mattresses for us and our son and bedding for us and bedding for my daughter when she moves out of the cot. Bought clothes for the next 12mths for the kids too.

We are practically filling the container infact there are a few things we have decided not to bring so we can have more new stuff!

Guest Ellie
Hi

We are doing the same thing buying some new stuff and putting it in the container. The removals I have spoken to said they will re-pack it anyway so there will be no issue with customs. We are getting new bed and mattresses for us and our son and bedding for us and bedding for my daughter when she moves out of the cot. Bought clothes for the next 12mths for the kids too.

We are practically filling the container infact there are a few things we have decided not to bring so we can have more new stuff!

Hi Michelle,

It's hard to know what to do as I know we are not supposed to take new stuff but it's also knowing what you can get away with within reason. I'm definately taking everyones advice on this and will be taking as much as I can. We may have to store for a while before we send the shipping but have been told we can add to it should we need to. Thank you for sharing your plans it's really useful. God knows what we will sleep on until it arrives part of the adventure no doubt. Lol!

Guest guest3462

Worry not my dear, almost everyone here has blow up air beds and put me ups which are always freely let out! we were in the same situation and actually got a double bed brought to the house! You will need nothing when you first arrive apart from an esky to put your beer in!!!! I have a couple of mattresses and a spare kettle/dinner set/ cutlery etc which we got when we first arrived and now use for camping, so you're more than welcome to borrow these.

Good thing is, is that Ikea is right next to the airport and fantastic for thoses early cheap essentials!!!

As for new stuff in the container, just take everything out of the original packaging and let the removals team rewrap it for you. Everything we brought was new and customs didn't make a single charge. I would however make a personal list of everything that you bring as we had loads of really random items missing when we unpacked, such as nursing text books and jackets and stuff which you can't claim for if they aren't on the original itinery from the shippers!!!

Keep smilin you'll be here in the sunshine soon xxxxx

Worry not my dear, almost everyone here has blow up air beds and put me ups which are always freely let out! we were in the same situation and actually got a double bed brought to the house! You will need nothing when you first arrive apart from an esky to put your beer in!!!! I have a couple of mattresses and a spare kettle/dinner set/ cutlery etc which we got when we first arrived and now use for camping, so you're more than welcome to borrow these.

Good thing is, is that Ikea is right next to the airport and fantastic for thoses early cheap essentials!!!

As for new stuff in the container, just take everything out of the original packaging and let the removals team rewrap it for you. Everything we brought was new and customs didn't make a single charge. I would however make a personal list of everything that you bring as we had loads of really random items missing when we unpacked, such as nursing text books and jackets and stuff which you can't claim for if they aren't on the original itinery from the shippers!!!

Keep smilin you'll be here in the sunshine soon xxxxx

Hi Julia,

That's brilliant I might just accept the offer. I keep thinking I can fall back on my camping stuf in a moment of senile dementure, then I remember it will be in the container :wacko: