Immigration Latest News!!!! (All MUST Read)

Guest segar

Hi

New to this forum and just wanted everyone to know. This news will affect the following category of VISA Applicants:

1. Those with visa lodged but not yet approved.

2. Those wanting to apply for visa

(ALL SUBCLASSES)

I am quite disappointed. Supposed to have applied for 475 with SA sponsorship (used to be the top priority processing).

Updated Priority Processing

Effective from 23 September 2009

Frequently Asked Questions

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, has set new priority processing arrangements for certain Skilled Migration visas. These arrangements are designed to better address the needs of industry by targeting skills in critical need across a number of sectors. The current priority processing Direction commenced on 23 September 2009.

The Direction applies to applications in the pipeline that have not been finalised, and to applications lodged with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, on or after 23 September 2009.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1 What is priority processing?

Section 51 of the

Migration Act 1958 gives the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship powers to consider and finalise visa applications in an order of priority that the Minister considers appropriate. Departmental officers must follow this Ministerial direction, which applies to both new applications and those applications awaiting a decision.

Q2 What are the changes to the Skilled Migration visa processing priorities?

The Minister has set priority processing arrangements which apply to the following visas from 23 September 2009:

• Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)

• Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS)

• General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas except for:

o Skilled – Recognised Graduate Subclass 476

o Skilled – Designated Area – Sponsored (Residence) Subclass 883

o Skilled – Regional Subclass 887.

Under the Ministerial Direction, the following processing priorities (with highest priority listed first) apply:

1. applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and the RSMS

2. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government and whose nominated occupation is listed on the Critical Skills List (CSL)

3. applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL

4. applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored but whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL

September 2009 1 of 6September 2009 2 of 6

5. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL

6. (i) applications from people whose occupations are listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL) and

(ii) applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL.

7. all other applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

For the Subclass 485 (Skilled – Graduate) visa the following processing priorities (with highest priority listed first) apply:

1. applications from people who have completed an Australian Doctor of Philosophy (PHD) at an Australian educational institution in Australia
  2. applications from people who have nominated an occupation on the CSL
  3. applications from people who have completed an Australian Bachelor degree and Australian Masters degree at an Australian educational institution in Australia
  4. applications from people who have completed an Australian Bachelor degree and Australian Honours degree (at least upper second class level) at an Australian educational institution in Australia
  5. applications from people who have completed an Australian Bachelor degree or Australian Masters degree at an Australian educational institution in Australia
  6. all other valid applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

For Business Skills (Provisional) visas the following processing priorities (with highest priority listed first) apply:

1. applications from people who are sponsored by the Commonwealth or a State/Territory government

2. all other valid applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

See:

Critical Skills List

Q3 Which GSM visas are affected by priority processing?

The following GSM visas are affected by priority processing:

1. Skill Matching Subclass 134
  2. Skilled – Independent Subclass 136
  3. Skilled – State/Territory-nominated Independent Subclass 137
  4. Skilled – Australian-sponsored Subclass 138
  5. Skilled – Designated Area-sponsored Subclass 139
  6. Skilled – Independent Subclass 175
  7. Skilled – Independent Subclass 176
  8. Skilled – Regional Sponsored Subclass 475
  9. Skilled – Graduate Subclass 485
  10. Skilled – Regional Sponsored Subclass 487
  11. Skilled – Independent Regional Subclass 495
  12. Skilled – Designated Area-sponsored (Provisional) Subclass 496
  13. Graduate – Skilled Subclass 497
  14. Skilled – Onshore Independent New Zealand Citizen Subclass 861
  15. Skilled – Onshore Australian-sponsored New Zealand Citizen Subclass 862
  16. Skilled – Onshore Designated Area-sponsored New Zealand Citizen Subclass 863
  17. Skilled – Independent Overseas Student Subclass 880
  18. Skilled – Australian-sponsored Subclass 881
  19. Skilled – Designated Area-sponsored Overseas Student Subclass 882
  20. Skilled – Independent Subclass 885
  21. Skilled – Sponsored Subclass 886

September 2009 3 of 6

Q4 Which GSM visa subclasses are exempt from priority processing?

The following visa subclasses are exempt from priority processing:

1. Skilled – Recognised Graduate Subclass 476
  2. Skilled – Designated Area – Sponsored (Residence) Subclass 883
  3. Skilled – Regional Subclass 887.

Applications for these visa subclasses will be processed in the order in which they are received.

NOOOOOO!!!!

As a non-CSL 475er, who was at the very end of the process - everything submitted and was only waiting for that final call, this is truly a disastrous news! Could it really be that our visa grant was weeks (if not days or even only one final glance at our file by the CO) away and now all in a sudden "it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised until the end of 2011"?? This is soooo extremely difficult to accept. Won't COs finish what they have on their table first (or at least the ones that have all the requirement out for them) before they start taking new applications? ...I hope??

We don't know what to assume and feeling quite lost on how to go about all this... any insights?

Just trying to stay positive for today..

Cheers

Guest familygood

There is a really long and useful thread on Poms In Oz with advice from migration agents that you might want to read. It really doesn't look good for anyone even if they are just waiting for their applications to be finalised. I really hope I am wrong but have a look and see what you think. The best of luck.

NOOOOOO!!!!

As a non-CSL 475er, who was at the very end of the process - everything submitted and was only waiting for that final call, this is truly a disastrous news! Could it really be that our visa grant was weeks (if not days or even only one final glance at our file by the CO) away and now all in a sudden "it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised until the end of 2011"?? This is soooo extremely difficult to accept. Won't COs finish what they have on their table first (or at least the ones that have all the requirement out for them) before they start taking new applications? ...I hope??

We don't know what to assume and feeling quite lost on how to go about all this... any insights?

Cheers

Hi,

you would think if they have requested the meds and police checks the would finish the application before they were out of date, hope so.

Hi,

it for reasons like this that everyone who decides to migrate to Australia, and has the points to do it should get on with the process as fast as possible, you never know when things may change and you may miss the boat (or plane).

Good luck everyone, things could change again in 6 months.

Simon:)

Yes the new indicative time line is on here;

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/after-you-lodge.htm

actually was the end of 2012.. darn that is just too long :-(

Surely if your meds and P/Cs are done they should process it soon, both are only valid for a year and they couldn't expect you to do them again:arghh:

We are about to apply for RSMS onshore and I am glad this is a priority but I honestly wouldn't wish a 3 year wait on my worst enemy especially when you are just waiting on that final bit

Guest JUSTIN27
NOOOOOO!!!!

Cheers

Dear All,

It's extremely a bad news for most of us if we have got SA State Sponsorship and our occupation is not on the CSL list even though it's in the MODL or State Skills Shortages list. Today, 24 Sep 2009, i dropped in the IMMI department in Adelaide, they just give me a copy of direction made by the minister. For those who previously got the state sponsorship would stand the second processing priority but now, for many applicants, if their occupations are Trade, they would be standing at 5th in the processing priority list. That means years to wait.

It's a great dissapointment that i just wait for the decision and finally being affected by this factor. As there are thoudsands of people has got their occupation in CSL, so i need to wait more more time ~~~~~~~~~~~

application lodged: may 2008 MODL OCCUPATION

SA State Sponsorship Approved: 2 Sep 09

Now: affected by new direction issued on 23 Sep 09

we may call it '923' disaster!!!!!!!!!!!

We cannot believe this is happening!! Thinking of waiting another 3 years is just a nightmare! We spoke to our Agent, who said the delay could be around 6-12 months??? Personally I think they are just trying to keep us hopefull. We should be hearing if our State Sponshership has been approved in the next few days, but now I'm seriously worried about forking out for the visa! Does anyone know how long the Vettassess Certificate is valid for? Might need to do that again if it expires before visa app!

Guest guest3462

I am so confused!!!! We are in adelaide on a 457 visa, and are about to set off proceedings to apply for PR, unsure as to go for 175, or 886 depending on the outcome of my OH's skills assessment interview in Melbourne in November. We also have to wait to sit the IELTS exam, which has delayed us from applying that is on 8th october.

Immigration told us in July that if we applied straight after the IELTS test we'd get our visa by the new year!!!! Now having read that, the current time states "unlikely before the end of 2011"

However both our professions are on the CSL list (anaesthetist and registered nurse), but when you type in, the details it still comes up with the same time frame!!!

What a nightmare. I understand people are in a much more critical situation than us and I feel awfully for all of us. Stressful times ahead guys.............

Congrats to the Good Family.

We received our SA sponsorship in 2 weeks record time and our agent was meant to submit our visa online on 18th but we still havnt got a tracking no!

We noticed you got very visa really quickly and we were told we would have ours by Christmas but even though we are lucky to have a job on the critical list we now have no idea what the time frame will be.

Does any one know?

I cannot believe they are predicting state sponsered visas are going to processed around the end of 2012 - that is truely awful. A few well known agents on british expats are suggesting disgruntled visa applicants to contact their sponsering state and complain as apparently it is a federal decision. If the states complain - maybe the government will listen!!!!!

Hi all,

Western Australia has just announced the opening of the largest new mining project in Australia’s history. The project involves investment of over $50 billion and as a result, they expect to need thousands of skilled workers for this project. In fact, their statistics are that the skilled labour force in Western Australia has moved from an oversupply of around 20,000 to a shortage of around 40,000 in less than 12 months. To top it, they have now no idea where the skilled workforce is going to come from.

I have a feeling that the immigration status will change for the better sooner rather than later. I know this is in the West but surely it will have an effect everyelse.

Oh well chin up!

Will

Totally at a loss with what we have heard. Feeling gutted. We have got state sponsorship and was going to be completed but then found out my wife was expecting our second child so was advised to hold till little one arrived (which is anyday!!). Now to find out all the bad news is heartbreaking as the house is sold, got rental only till end of the year and all our things are in storage and ready for shipping. What do we do now!!!!!!!!! Surely the visa's that are currently being processed should be completed as soon as!! Do they want to come over and find my family a house to live in and explain to my excited son that he now won't be going to Australia for at least 3 years.

Guest JUSTIN27

To all,

Only one week after the changes made by the DIAC regarding processing priority on GSM visa, we’ve seen loads of applicants were affected by this erratic change both in financially and emotionally. For those who had applied for state sponsorship without CSL occupation stands at the 2nd processing priority but now grammatically drop to the 5th.. As the information indicated in the DIAC’s website that those applicants, even though they are during their final stage of processing, would be affected and their cases wouldn’t be finalized for years. We’ve seen lots of disappointments, angers and tears up to now. However, we, the poorer, need to unity together and produce a strong voice to the parties concerned. Your voice needs to be properly addressed visa the following channels so that relevant department-DIAC may take it into consideration. So if you are unsatisfied with DIAC' recent policy on priority processing changes. Please follow the below more detail instructions (that’s what I did).

1. Complaints made to ombudsman:

Make a complaint

• Enquiries 9am—5pm (AEST) Monday to Friday – 1300 362 072 (Calls from mobile phones are charged at mobile phone rates.)
    Complaints can be made in writing, by phone, in person or by using our online complaint form – opens in new window.

Our offices are located in Adelaide, Alice Springs, Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney

Steps: (1) log on to www.ombusman.gov.au and then click on the complaints (2) click on online compliant (3) answer yes to the first two questions (4) proceed to complain (5) fill in the content (6)Done -->only few minutes

2. Complaints or suggestions to your sponsoring states or territories:

Steps: (1) search for the website for your sponorsing state government, e.g. South Australia-->www.immigrationsa.gov.au (2) online enquiry or complaint form (3) fill in the contents (4) submit

3. Complaints or suggestions to DIAC:

Steps: (1) go to www.immi.gov.au (2) search for pre-lodgement enquiry form or post-lodgement enquiry form whichever is relevant to your case (3) fill in the content of your complaint (4) submit

Wish what we have done would make a huge difference soon. For all you guys, we need your voice in this issue. Many thanks!

Cheers,

JUSTIN

So in simple terms..sorry Im a bit thick !

How does this effect those already here on a 495 and ready toapply for 887 in 12 months ??

as soon as i saw these changes i rang up the immigration and asked this question and they said " it will not affect the process of the 887 visa "

hopefully this is true and there are no more changes on the horizon for this visa too...

I have read that the 887 is now off the priority processing list so does this mean it will take longer to process? On the DIAC website it states that applications will be processed in the order in which they're received...but maybe not as quickly as they have recently been processing them?

I have read that the 887 is now off the priority processing list so does this mean it will take longer to process? On the DIAC website it states that applications will be processed in the order in which they're received...but maybe not as quickly as they have recently been processing them?

as long as it takes them less than a year! if it takes them too long they will have to start giving out bridging visas to everyone waiting for the 887.:)

Simon