Best travel money card to use?

lorluc

Whats the best way for my husband and daughter to have their travel money for the UK?

Been looking at various travel money cards on the market and just not sure best way to go.

Cash Passport looks a good one.

My experience with travel cards is not good, 1st time I had multiple currencies on it, US, Canadian & euro, initially it started well, then it became a problem and had to borrow money off friends. 2nd time I thought (silly me) it would work better on single currency, the Euro in this instance, but no! so it is very doubtfull I will use these again. I have since opened a 28degrees credit card account which you can pre load with Aussie$ and can use in any country with very favourable exchange rate and no interest to pay when drawing your own money out, and you have the added security of the credit in case of an emergency.

We still have a UK bank account which comes in extremely handy for both our trips to England and buying presents for folk back home. You Daughter will no doubt have to open one if she works there.

However, though I have had problems I do like the idea of these against cash and travellers cheques, it seems these travel cards are the way to go, with banks, postoffice and others all offering them and no doubt there are plenty of people out there who have good news about them and will pass on reccommendations, Beware of atm charges! therefor the larger amount you withdraw the % charges effectively will be lower.

Cheers

Guest Adelaide_bound

Second the 28 degrees card - I've had nothing but excellent customer service with it, and the rates are top notch. Just pay it off within the 55 days to avoid the interest rate, and be aware that if you pre-load you aren't covered if it gets lost/stolen/skimmed :)

We always just use our bank cards in a local ATM and never had a problem.....also carry a credit card "just in case" never used it yet!

This is normally an expensive option due to poor exchange rates and other fees. Would need to check with your bank to confirm what you would pay, again atm transaction fee will normally apply too.

Do you know what the exchange rate and fees were like Claire? and what bank?

I have sent money over to my daughters using Western Union. It's almost instant that the money is available to them. Most post offices here have the forms and it costs only a little to send, increasing with amount to be sent. The office here will give you a printout with a number you have to give the recipient. The recipient then goes to any Western Union office in the nominated city with this number and ID to pick up the money ... and everyone's happy. Good for emergencies and birthday money.

Guest Claire-n-tel
This is normally an expensive option due to poor exchange rates and other fees. Would need to check with your bank to confirm what you would pay, again atm transaction fee will normally apply too.

Do you know what the exchange rate and fees were like Claire? and what bank?

Hi Keith!

Um....i think they were charging 3% of withdrawal amount so $103 every time we got out equiv of $100 and the exchange rate was the listed rate, so good to keep an eye on what exchange rates are doing, the same withdrawal was about $5 more one day on same amount as rubbish exchange rate. It just felt like an easy option for us, we started doing it when we went traveling and weren't keen on carrying TC's to last us 4 years! and having to decide what currency (s) to get them in. Glad we did it that way because met people who had a whole load of USD travel cheques in west africa but no where would take them they ended up having to get family to send them money with western union as they were down to their last few $ the WU "office" was at at the back of a fabric stall on the local market where they were ushered behing the curtain to "do the deal"! It was actually all fine but they were panicing whilst doing it, all seemed very weird!

Guest MrsHills

Just wanted to add a 'useless bit of information' - friend said if when travelling abroad using credit card, just cover the three numbers at the back with a bit of band aid/white paper. doesnt stop you using card but may prevent it being skimmed :)