Mount Gambier to live and work

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Hello there, im coming over to Australia in April to start with the Police and after training will be located at a station i have a preference. One of them is Mount Gambier, ive being looking at this and it looks a nice area with affordable rentals and plenty of shools as i have a 4 year old and 1 year old, Im after advice whether its somewhere i should consider moving to.

Also is it a nice place to work as a A Policeman, and could i work and live in the same area, its not normally recommended in England weel where i work anyway!!

Guest kangomik

It's nice down there, if you don't live in Mt Gambier where would you live?

Very close to Vic, and the start of the great Ocean road.

Have you looked at Port Pirie, Whyalla, Ceduna or Tumby Bay, theres Port Lincoln too.

Guest Wersal Gummage

It reminds me of Essex.

Not too may members here live out that way so I doubt you'll get very many useful replies.

There is a Police forum that may help http://www.police-forum.com/ someone on there may be from that area.

Good luck, hope you find the information you're looking for.

Guest kangomik

Flat out Stevo, like a lizard sunbathing.

I was going to suggest Broken Hill or Cober (Coober?) Pedy. I wonder what areas they would cover?

There must be something around Moonta bay, the shacks up there go for around 3/4 of a mil so the clientel should be good.

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

I would live and work in Gambia, as there are adequate schools and work for the wife when we get settled.

The job even subsidises the rent there which is a bonus, my only concern was it was a proper country location however it seems quite populated:)

I know it is a long way from Adelaide so im also making my second choice Holden Hills. Basically if i dont get Gambier i will get Holden Hills.:)

Wekll if its offered , I would take it. That posting hardly ever comes up on UK conversion courses. I do know someone who got a lateral and likes the feel of it. If you get the choice and would like to talk to them regarding the area, let me know.

OZ is not like the UK you can livewhere you want, just make sure the neighbours are not desirable. You really are not coming to the inner city's. Crooks say I did and the kids move on when you tell them to.

Do your research and you will be fine...

One constant is the job is gash where ever youare, so dont expect a fanfare and all will be sweet.

Weathers nice.lol

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Sound good however its not a definate as i get first and second choice so it may be the second choice i get, they state you can get government housing however over here thats not generally the best houses normally next to lesss desirables!!!

The other choice im thinking off is holden hills or Elizabeth to work and live it the surroundings areas as theres pleanty of rentals and a busy area.

My concern is Mount Gambier is way out of the way and a lot cooler with more rain!!!!

Guest kangomik

Just wait , you can get housing in Mt Gambier, but you reckon its may be not so good....... or you could pay for housing around Elizabeth????????????

Ding Ding Alarm calling.

LAST TIME I SAY IT...................... you really need to be here before you decide...... big move, big decision...... fast rush =========== MESS

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Wish i could wait however i have to make a decision by this weekend whether i want to work in the city (Adelaide) or Mount Gambier they say you cant change once they have decided. So i need to make a decision either way.

For what it's worth, I'd say go for Holden Hill. There are lots of nice areas you can rent in within a good commuting time (for me that means 20 minutes!) from there. Once you've arrived and had a chance to look around, maybe do some weekend trips out to the various country areas and judge for yourself whether they look like places your family could be happy in. A lot harder to do things the other way round.

Hi Ant,

my oh is considering the SA police just now, and would be applying for the city stations if he gets in.

Recent reports in the 'Tiser suggest a real issue going on with late rostering around the CBD, you could check that out on the papers website from last weekend!

Talking to the locals, though, they say the kudos of being a "country cop" is a great prize!! The northern areas have big issues with aboriginal problems, just like the city guys copping it with the drunk "bikie" types....................

Personally, and no offence here to those in Elizabeth; stay well clear!! It will be just like where you came from, and from where i came from for that matter!

Good luck with your training and your choice!!

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

A couple of things whats the "tiser" as nothing comes up on google, and for the holiday what was it like, i know it looks quite a small place but as ive picked it as my first choice im hoping theres enough there to keep me occupied.

I have a choice of whether i want to live in government housing however dont know much about them, im concerned they are not the best to live in.