Cream

flossybeth

Ok - I'm finally beginning to get the idea of what to cook (thanks for the tips on buying the shop's own magazines and I am definitely using the barbecue for all sorts) but I'm still stumped by the cream. All I want is a cream that I can whip up to put in sponges or onto a trifle but I bought Bulla Pure cream over Christmas and couldn't get it to whip. I asked the man in Woolworths today what I should use and he told me the thickened stuff - but what in the world do they add to cream to make it thick? And why would they add stuff?

Can you buy UK style cream from anywhere here or is it just something else I have to get used to?

On the plus side not using so much cream is definitely helping with the beach-body :biglaugh:

Guest Claire-n-tel

hi flossybeth!

thickened cream usually contains gelatin or vegatable gum, it will whip although i always use an electric hand whip, never tried with just elbow greese!

"pure cream" here is the same as uk double cream although i have only ever seen it available a few times.

hope that helps and if you need any help with taste testing i'm always available!:wink:

claire

On principle I don't buy thickened cream. I like cream to be kind of, cream... But to be honest although when we first moved here 5 yrs ago I struggled to find any just like you, now in Coles and foodland I can buy double cream, thick cream, pouring cream... So have a look in a few supermarkets. I even found ricotta cheese the other day, have been known to buy creme fraiche, so maybe just change your supermarket. The cream does whip eventually, you just need to use an electric hand mixer and do it for slightly longer than normal if there's a problem.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest8609

Without thickeners I only found Bulla Pure cream, but it has very high fat content.

I noticed that usually sour cream and light sour cream don't have thickeners or additives (but don't forget to check for sure, because I found additives even in regular milk), but they're not good for making sweet stuff.

I'm still struggling to find an equivalent of single cream without additives. Can someone help, please?

BTW - if they can't produce decent milk/cream because of the local weather maybe they should import it from New Zealand?

Guest Guest5035

BTW - if they can't produce decent milk/cream because of the local weather maybe they should import it from New Zealand?

maybe export yourself..

stevo

or from King Island (Tasmania)

:swoon: John B

Without thickeners I only found Bulla Pure cream, but it has very high fat content.

I noticed that usually sour cream and light sour cream don't have thickeners or additives (but don't forget to check for sure, because I found additives even in regular milk), but they're not good for making sweet stuff.

I'm still struggling to find an equivalent of single cream without additives. Can someone help, please?

Guest Guest8609

I wasn't complaining about the producers/products only about the weather being the main culprit. Hot climate affects the quality of milk (less fat), hence those thickeners in cream. But, like many expats, I'm used to milk and cream having no additives and I'm also one of those who read labels. So far I buy Bulla Pure Cream and I'm experimenting with diluting it with milk. And I'm still looking for single cream without additives.

I don't know what is wrong about importing - in the UK I was usually buying Spanish tomatos, also because of the weather factor and not British producers being so bad :). I guess Tasmania may produce better dairy than SA, I will check that, too, although I only saw Tasmanian cheese here.

Still I'd appreciate some logical arguments from Stevo rather than his short suggestion that I leave Australia...

Edited by Guest8609

No, there is nothing wrong with importing, but usually these imported products, if also produced locally are taxed heftily. This is to protect Australian producers. Despite its size, Australia is a small population compared with the UK and neighbouring Europe so there is not the same scope for competition. For example, Coles sells French butter, but it's at a premium price, compared to local products. You should be able to find pure cream without thickeners around, but be prepared to pay extra. You may find it in some of those little gourmet shops in the malls, or at the cheese shops in the Central Market. This company is South Australian, perhaps contact them. http://www.alexandrinacheese.com.au/dairy_products.html.

• 2 months later...