Footie for the Kids

We are looking to be out in Sunny Adelaide for Feb 2011. Need to get the kids into some normality so need a few opinons on the footie scene for kids.

My eldest lad will be 17 in Feb and has played football since he was 6 and when he was younger had trials for Leicester, WBA and Walsall. At the moment he is playing in our local Youth league.

He also took his referee course a couple of seasons ago which gives him a bit of pocket money and keeps him of my back!!!!!!

In the last 12 months he has been helping to coach the U7s at our local club and would love to get involved with something similar in Aus.

The little one is playing at U9s this season, football mad if he's not playing it he is watching it and if he can't do neither he talks about it.

We are looking to settle in the South so any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated

Cheers Rob

I know he's not in the south but try a PM to Boxertony on here - your son sounds very similar to his in terms of football experience etc and I know he made plenty of contacts when he arrived here.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/member.php?u=2022

Oh, and I'm afraid you'll have to stop calling it "footie" when you get here - as that means a different game :sad: - "soccer" will be understood by just about anyone, and "football" by anyone with decent taste (or an English/Crotian/Italian/Greek/German background)!!

Guest Baconi

Hi Rob

I play for a team called West Beach here which has 3 senior teams. Its not in the South, as you would expect its in the West on the Beach! but getting there is no drama from sown south.

Its a really friendly club with a large number of Poms, so it has great social links. I would be very happy to introduce you guys etc. We have a knock about on Thursdays in the closed season and train twice a week pre season and during the season.

The A team is fairly good standard and if your son wants to play a higher standard than this we have all the contacts etc to put you in touch with the right people. Cheers, David

Guest Chandan

Hi Rob,

Just an idea, I have a 4 year old son and I would love him to learn to play proper football... Has your son thought about doing a little football club for the mini's, (like Little Kickers in London), to build their skills in ball handling and the basics in coordination, team work and fairness in sports.

I havent looked very hard to see if it is already up and running here in Adelaide but I would love to get him involved somewhere. Maybe that is food for thought, there are plenty of ovals here and parks that can be used. I know alot of clubs dont take on till they are school age (5 years old) in London they started as early as 2...

Cheers

Danni

Guest guest3462

I had to think for a minute then if you meant footie as in AFL or soccer (it's amazing how quickly you adapt to aussie ways of saying things!) There is a little soccer league that plays at the weekends, some of my friends children play in them and they really enjoy it. Most of the suburbs in the south have their own teams. Django on here coaches the woodcroft team so it might be good to pm him! I'm sure they will slot into soccer life here very easily, they might also really enjoy footie, its different more like rugby really but there is a little league for that too (auskick)

Guest Tterrier81

hi there, i live in the south and love me football so try and get out to watch the local teams as often as possible, the team that springs to mind that could help you is south adelaide panthers soccer club, they have a good set up with plenty of teams in all age groups right from under 7/8's through to seniors, they even have girls teams from juniors to open age, i have known a few people who have played here and they said its a very proffesional set up, if i remember right they take an under 19's team to europe every year to play against english league academy teams (my brother in law made the trip a few years ago and he palyed against york, bradford, lincoln, they also played agains frankfurt and munich

they also have a european feel about the club with most of the kids parents comin over from uk etc, i have noticed in adelaide that some clubs stick with there own kind ie, some clubs are majority italian, greek, polish, croatian etc

hope this helps

dan

Guest Tterrier81

just one more thing that came to mind, watch out for the fee's as sometimes these can be very expensive, i knew one woman who had 2 kids playin and she paid over $300 per season each

just one more thing that came to mind, watch out for the fee's as sometimes these can be very expensive, i knew one woman who had 2 kids playin and she paid over $300 per season each

That's nothing - have a look at the Fees for Adelaide City juniors (boys and girls)! - I knew of one parent with four kids, all playing - nightmare! Her youngest played for Under 11s and was a pretty good goalie, but the team had two goalies and rather than giving each of them half a match in goal, half on the field, it was one week whole match in goal, next week whole match on the bench! Not what you want when you're paying over $600 a season (and that was a couple of years ago!!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest drewerys

Noarlunga united are also a great club down south, great family feel and always looking for people to get involved ages go from puppies (4 year olds plus) under 8's all the way to under 19s and seniors who have just won Promotion get in touch and ill get you contact info of delegetes if you r interested.

Noarlunga united are also a great club down south, great family feel and always looking for people to get involved ages go from puppies (4 year olds plus) under 8's all the way to under 19s and seniors who have just won Promotion get in touch and ill get you contact info of delegetes if you r interested.

I'll second that... Noarlunga are a great club and make newcomers very welcome - we've been here 5 months and my hubby is gonna be the new U10's coach and he has been made very welcome.