Smoking Laws ?

Guest MitchKeza

Guest stufi1997

Hi it's basically the same, no smoking indoors, but other than that... smoke til your hearts content by the looks of it!! Stu smokes and he's forever got one hanging out his gob....yuk I'm a reformed smoker can you tell?

Guest MitchKeza

Hey People, Thank you so much for your replies. I gave up smoking ten years ago and I suppose I am one of the winjing poms who now hate the smell of those coffin nails. I lost my mother to lung cancer eight months ago. A horrible sight to behold, believe me.!!. I LOVE the new laws, sorry to upset those who still smoke. I have stood at the foot of a bed and watched someone die in front of my very eyes due to their habit, (My Mother). Thanks folks.. .Sorry I got a bit deep on this subject but I hate those cancer sticks with a vengance... Regards Mitchkeza.

Hey People, Thank you so much for your replies. I gave up smoking ten years ago and I suppose I am one of the winjing poms who now hate the smell of those coffin nails. I lost my mother to lung cancer eight months ago. A horrible sight to behold, believe me.!!. I LOVE the new laws, sorry to upset those who still smoke. I have stood at the foot of a bed and watched someone die in front of my very eyes due to their habit, (My Mother). Thanks folks.. .Sorry I got a bit deep on this subject but I hate those cancer sticks with a vengance... Regards Mitchkeza.

I agree.. I am 5 days into a lifetime of change.. This time I really feel I can kick the habit.

Its been in for a couple of years now. The smokers go outside and pubs have been building beer gardens, some with heating. You can also not smoke in your car if you have children under 16 in the car. Also not in shopping centres. The pubs still seem to be booming....but as we've had it for a while and it was introduced in stages, people got used to it.

There's a pub in Central Market thats actually gone the other way and created a smoking room. Its not well ventalated, so you can see the people through the glass windows, sitting in a cloud of smoke.

Even as an ex smoker, that really wouldn't appeal to me. :err:

Judi x

Guest MitchKeza

Please go on and kick the habit. As I stated earlier I looked into the eyes of my mother and watched her die because of those evil sticks. The Doctor told her that the only reason she was on her death bed was through smoking. If my mother could only have looked at herself eight weeks after being diagnosed some years earlier, she would have stopped smoking. I walk along the City streets here in Carlisle and sometimes breath second hand smoke in and I absolutely detest it. I smoked myself for fourteen years and then gave it up, so you can too! I havent sounded like an old fashioned car struggling to start first thing on a morning for years. Even with my asthma I wake up without that tight chested feeling that I got as a smoker. It has been well worth it, although I do carry an extra bit of weight nowadays. Hey, this site is about emigrating and not putting the world to rights, so c'mon lets get the emigration worries talked about ! Cheers anyhow.. Mitchkeza.

Guest cornish Busdriver

We were in Adelaide last year on a reccie and the Irish Bar on King William street the rules were you can smoke in the bar until 10pm then that becomes non smoking so you have to swap rooms and go in the the restrant to smoke.

Also we had no-worries in smoking in the hotel bar on Gougher Street (Director Studios).

Theres ash trays all over town so theres no excuse for dropping cig ends on the ground.

In most bars you could smoke with no-one complaining and quite a few bars did not allow Kids so that was a BIG +.

Guest cornish Busdriver

I dont know where you got told a total ban in 2009 from but from SA goverment sources they say that they have not heard of it and this was the info they gave me.

"A total enclosed public place smoking ban was introduced in South Australia on 1 November 2007. However, under the SA Tobacco Products Regulation Act 1997, a place or area is only "enclosed" if it is fully enclosed or is at least partially covered by a ceiling and has walls such that the total area of the ceiling and wall surfaces exceeds 70 per cent of the total notional ceiling and wall area."

Guest cornish Busdriver

LOL lol lol you are a crule man lol lol lol lmao.

But one smoking rule that the Aussie;s have in SA which i think should apply to the uk as well is no smoking in cars if there are kids in side it.

Guest Baldock Grays
LOL lol lol you are a crule man lol lol lol lmao.

But one smoking rule that the Aussie;s have in SA which i think should apply to the uk as well is no smoking in cars if there are kids in side it.

Morning all,

If anyone is serious about giving up, try Champix (I know it has had bad press but it works). Teresa and myself wanted to come over on our reccie as non smokers (and the kids were nagging us) so we went to the smoking clinic and were prescribed these.

Teresa had been smoking for bext part of 20 years and i for 27, within 6 weeks we had both quit. Importantly, no raging bull acts or petty arguments. We has both ried patches and the likes before but no luck.

7 months on we don't have any regrets about giving up, we can go down the pub and mix with smoking friends and not have the desire for a smokeBonus was that with getting theseon the NHS it only cost us the price of a prescription.

I agree wuth CB that the law about smoking in cars with children should e intridyuced here as well

Guest moonraker1959

I too watched my father die (In Modbury Hospital)13 years ago of lung cancer.He had half his lungs cut out,made a reasonable recovery,then 6 months later,collapsed,sent back to hospital,diagnosed with a brain tumour and died a month later.He was 60 and about to retire.I too have smoked in the past.Hate it now and detest walking down the street behind someone who is smoking.I usually can't help myself if I'm with my husband and say quite loudly "Ugh cross the street,its cigarette smoke"lol

Guest deborah

So you can't even sit outside and breathe!! I am afraid I am very anti smoking and i hate it when you are eating outside and you can still smell smoke.

I normally sit indoors anyway to get away from the flies!