english food

duncan-clan

now this is mostly for you english folk down under...do you miss your english food or have you tryed the shop in glenelg that sells stuff from england at a higher price there is also a shop in the town center that sells english sweets i think the shop is off rundall mall or currie street cant remember.......when i finally depart this crap island my container is going to be filled up with lifes little things you cant get down under:) now for those that reply to this message please add any stuff you cant get down under

alex :GEEK:

Guest salisbury massive

To be honest you can get most things here but of course at a premium. we went back to the Uk in october and bought everything we couldn't get here thinking we'd really missed it all, only to find it wasn't half as good as we thought. Absence makes te heart grow fonder eh!!!!

so my list then

Persil - even after nearly 3 years i still think washing powder here is rubbish.

Minstrals Chocolates - i will not pay $2.60 for a packet I know costs 30p

frazells Crisps - just the thought makes my mouth water hee hee

Most Foodlands (especially southern ones) seem to sell imported english stuff like paxo, weetabix etc. I;ve found a deli that sells Hellmanns mayo but Foodland do a canadian version called Best Foods thats just as good.

I think I'd bring some radiators and a boiler to keep the house warm in the winter.

jo

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Hee hee Jo I say that about radiators and the boiler!!!

As for food most things there are replacements for, the things that dont, like weet A bix and frazzels, probably wouldnt be so good now!

I wouldnt pay over the odds for something english, bought some frazzels once in Victor, they were past their sel by date!

Sarah

have read somewhere beforee that you can't get non-bio washing powder over there. Is this right coz my 2 boys both suffer with their skin and I can only use non-bio but have heard that you can only get bio, is this right?? also I use the liquid capsules as this suits their skin better can you get these?

Most of the things that I might have missed I can get here anyway, especially in Coles which seems to have it's own little "English" section. You can get Weetabix, marmite, Hellmans Mayonnaise, Ambrosia Rice Pudding plus other things. Most things have a slightly different name - Weetabix is Whole Wheat Biscuits, Marmite is called Our Mate (!) but they are the real thing. But I don't care what anyone says, chocolate here does NOT taste the same as in the UK! Cadburys chocolate has a funny aftertaste but I absolutely LOVE Dove chocolate (which is Galaxy unless I'm much mistaken)! I'm not sure whether or not you can buy non bio washing powder but most of the supermarkets sell the eco friendly stuff which is probably much the same thing. I guess the only thing I really miss is my favourite chicken chow mein from The House of Tang in Sutton Coldfield! Mmmmmm!!!!!:jiggy:

Guest Rob and Clare

There's no doubt most people miss certain foods, and it is true that you remember some things being far nicer than they really were.

We went back to the UK last september and we went to our favourite pub in Lichfield ordered our favourite meals, also went for a coffee and sandwich at costa coffee and they were both really disappointing..... That said also went to 2 carvery's, 3 Indian restuarants and 2 chinese and they were fantastic....

If you look around and maybe willing to treat yourself every now and then you can get most things, we sometimes go to the shop in glenelg (there's also another one in Ingle Farm) but it's a treat once in a blue moon. The choccies are expensive here anyway, unless you buy the specials you can easily spend over $2 for a choccie at a servo (petrol station).

You can get non bio here as well, we use something called OMO, i think.... but no liquid capsules, you can get these on line but you'll pay a heavy price for them.

Jaffa cakes!!!!!!!!!!! I know they sell them here , but I'm not willing to pay nearly $7 for a packet of them!

Anyone know anywhere that sells tomato wheat crunchies!

Yes I agree ozzie choccie tastes different - not as rich - just finished the last fruit and nut my sis bought over at christmas and yes - I'm gutted!

Guest Libby1971

I am taking a suitcase back to UK with me when I do go back just to pack lots of lovely British grub in...yum yum yum!!!! And Nick, I may well pack a packet of Jaffa Cakes, it depends how nicely you look after me on Saturday!

TUNA PASTA BAKE SAUCE MIXES!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG, will I ever be able to live without these delights of culinary expertise? If you are coming anyone at all and can fit some in your suitcase, I will be grateful to the end of my days.

The deli at Noarlunga is more reasonable than the Lolly Shop and has a wider variety. Crisps are still out of date but half the price of Lolly Shop so I don't mind that. MARMITE CRISPS, oooohh yes.

Libby

Guest Leanne & Mark

God it's worrying ya know all you lot do is think of your stomachs !!!! LOL:D

p.s Can you bring food (choc to be precise) out? in suitcase or shipping??

Guest salisbury massive
God it's worrying ya know all you lot do is think of your stomachs !!!! LOL:D

p.s Can you bring food (choc to be precise) out? in suitcase or shipping??

not sure about shipping but you can definately bring it in a case. Just declare it at customs. I'd bring loads of persil or whatever washing powder you buy in those massive boxes in the container. I use omo sensitive & there is a sensitive softener as well

Jo

It's not food that I'm missing so much................................it's Imperial Leather Foamburst Shower Gel! I've even written to Imperial Leather in Australia asking why they don't sell it here, they sell other Imperial Leather products but not that. Ordinary Shower Gel just doesn't cut it somehow.

I've got my friend in the UK to ship me some over now.

Karen

TUNA PASTA BAKE SAUCE MIXES!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG, will I ever be able to live without these delights of culinary expertise? If you are coming anyone at all and can fit some in your suitcase, I will be grateful to the end of my days.

Libby

I love the tuna and pasta bake mixes!!!! Sad I know. Remind me nearer the time and I will bring some out for you :)

I am taking a suitcase back to UK with me when I do go back just to pack lots of lovely British grub in...yum yum yum!!!! And Nick, I may well pack a packet of Jaffa Cakes, it depends how nicely you look after me on Saturday!

The deli at Noarlunga is more reasonable than the Lolly Shop and has a wider variety. Crisps are still out of date but half the price of Lolly Shop so I don't mind that. MARMITE CRISPS, oooohh yes.

Libby

OOHH Libby your tuna pasta bakes are to die for.

I promise I will look after you on Saturday in return for a packet of jaffa cakes.

Bisto, Bisto, Bisto, Bisto, Bisto (gravy granules of course) - forgot to mention Double Deckers:notworthy:

Ditto the chocolate comments to me the chocolate here tastes like very, very cheap chocolate that you can buy in the UK - forgot to mention it aint cheap here though!

Everything else is fine - my kids love weetbix!

Lindsey

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Libby

Hi Libby, have you tried the woolies select "tuna and potato pie" mix, it is not powder but like a thick liquid stuff in a packet. You will find it where the packet mixes are. I have tried them all and none off them compare, but this comes close. I know it says potato, but I dont use spuds, I just use it in the same way as I woud a powder mix, and add a little tom paste for the pinkie look!

sarah

now after reading all these replys ive decided to do a run to costco to do a big shop and i will be bring over all the stuff in my container that everyone thinks about so much. not to mention clothes lonsdale and everlast (which is so cheap in england and three times as much in adelaide). it seems everyone is going though cold turkey from missing your home comforts :biglaugh:

alex