Research Properly!! Home & Work to very different needs!

Guest Fancy a Beer

Guest Fancy a Beer

We have our own company here in Adelaide and have found this year already the number of callers looking for work has increased significantly from last year! Agents constantly emailing and phoning and people cold calling themselves! This combined with several contracts having been put "oh hold", its not as easy to find work here as it was a year ago!

There have been already this year though several calls from newly arrived migrants that have looked within their "local" area for work and are now willing to travel well over an hour in some cases to get to work!

What I am saying is research fully not only where you would like to live BUT the main areas you are most likely to find work! I think some will be quite shocked the limitations some areas that are great to live in have when it comes to finding suitable work!

I had a phone call from a chap last week, dont want to give to much away incase people know him and obviously his story not mine, had been here couple of months had loads of great skills but was living so far down South people were not employing him as the journey to work was going to take him so long! He was therefore faced with the strong possibility due to the amount of money he had/was losing to sell up and return to the UK!!

Basically research, research, research and research a little more, its sooooo worth it!

This post should be pinned up at the top of the forum so everyone reads it! It's what I've said so many times to so many people, and you're by far from the only employer we've heard it from!

The daily work commute is something that is day in, day out - and as someone said on another post, the beaches run all the way down from north to south, so even from somewhere that on paper looks a long way from the beaches, you can probably reach one in just over 30mins! Also, what looks a reasonable commute on paper canbe quite different once traffic lights and speed limits come into the equation!

Even if you think you'd be happy with a long drive, many employers will make the decision for you and cross you off their shortlist if they feel you have a long commute!

Guest Thongs Rule

We don't employ anyone under a certain level in the business with more than a 30 min drive as we feel they will leave for something closer to home when the opportunity arrises and therefore make training worthless.

I find it surprising that an employer would not employ someone because of the distance it would take for them to get there. Thats the employees problem, not the employers.

People should be willing travel anywhere for work. I know people who live in the southern suburbs who travel to Wallaroo for work!

Guest Trakki

This is very true, too many people don't research enough. We were lucky enough that I had chosen to work at the Women and Childrens Hospital and had a job before we came out but this meant that we could not live where we wanted to as I didn't want longer than a 40-50 min communte. We would have loved to live in Mclaren Vale but just too far, We spent hours on google earth researching distances and where our cut off was. this turned out to be Morphett Vale an area which we had not contemplated. Once here we looked round and decided on Morphett Vale or Woodcroft, put the kids into woodcroft school and have been happy, we move from our 6 month lease in Morphett Vale to a 2 year one in Woodcroft next week and love the area. If we had not done our homework we probably would have ended up in Mclaren Vale and with me travelling over an hour everyday which I would not have managed after a night. I know my position is a bit different as I already had a job but I would definitely agree that you must research, research, research in order to get settled, get the kids settled etc.

I find it surprising that an employer would not employ someone because of the distance it would take for them to get there. Thats the employees problem, not the employers.

People should be willing travel anywhere for work. I know people who live in the southern suburbs who travel to Wallaroo for work!

It might be surprising Michelle, but in the current employment climate the employers have a big choice of applicants for most jobs, it's a buyers' market, so they can make their decision based on whatever criteria they like, and right or wrong, this is one of the things many employers do consider here.

Diane

Guest katsmajic

My employers said they will only employ locals, within a 20minute commute as its not worth their while employing someone who has to travel more than that when their working split shifts etc...

Guest nishman

That's HR for you again, looking out for the employee from door-to-door. Driving to and from work/site was recently identified as the number one risk to employees within our company - and we (used to) do a lot of work at sites such as OD/OneSteel/Pirie... With it currently being an employers market, I'm not surprised that commuting time is a factor applied to propsective employees.

Guest Fancy a Beer

I dont think it is surprising, as an employer we are being sent CV's on a daily basis, the competition for decent jobs is increasing, we are no longer looking to take anyone on, BUT if I had 5 CV's, I would first check skill level, then where they live. Because unlike the UK people dont want to travel here!

The main area for industry here is in the City and the North/North East! We live in the North East and joke we can see the sea from our house, (well two mins drive and we can see the sea), 20-25 mins and we can touch it! My personal opinion is that there are many arrive in Adelaide looking for a better life but because they dont research and just read from a site that everyone likes one area they follow there too in the hope its the right place for them, for many it works out good, but there are a great many more that it doesnt work out and had they researched properly would of been a whole different story!

Personally for me I could not research enough, sites like this were valuable BUT I still did my own research that suited us not half the members on an Expats webiste! This is always something I felt happened and didnt really have any experience that it was the case, but the proof I am now finding loud and clear! Its not a gloat just a word of warning to others, DONT follow down the same path!!

Guest Lisado

Hi all

This isn't just an Oz thing!!

I am used to commuting having lived in Wolverhampton and drove into Birmingham on M6 every day (5 hrs in acar due to traffic!). When I moved back to the Norh East, I applied for a job in Northallerton and even though I had an excellent interview and was told I would have had the job - I was turned down for living 3/4 of an hour away - even though my journey was do-able.

That is why we have decided to take short term rent to see where we will be able to get jobs and I think the best bet for us to have a job is in Adelaide itself!

I have to agree - research is so improtant - we do this daily for jobs!

Lisa

I am in the lucky position that I already have 2 job offers, which I secured last August. I still keep in touch with them to ensure that they are still 'keen' on me.

Having read all the posts on here and poms in oz regarding people having difficulty in finding jobs in the current economic climate however, I must admit that I started to doubt my good fortune and took it upon myself to look for Companies in my profession, in Adelaide, through the Yellow Pages website. Through their advertised websites, I then emailed around half a dozen with my resume/cv.

Well blow me! On Saturday morning I had my first positive response and I have recieved another this morning. I started this exercise on Friday. Both are very keen to speak to me and discuss the career opportunities further.

I understand that negative posts have to be put on PIA and such to make people aware of the posible pitfalls, but people should also be made aware that there is a great deal of generalisation with these posts and that the nature of the hiring company and the nature of the job/profession should also be borne in mind. (no criticism of the poster as you are only informing as to your experiences)

Just wanted to post the 'positive side of the coin'

Good luck to all who are job hunting at the moment.

Howard.

Guest GIPSY

Hi Howard

Thanks for sharing that with us, it's always good to hear of positive news :-)

What profession are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

Hayley

I am in the lucky position that I already have 2 job offers, which I secured last August. I still keep in touch with them to ensure that they are still 'keen' on me.

Having read all the posts on here and poms in oz regarding people having difficulty in finding jobs in the current economic climate however, I must admit that I started to doubt my good fortune and took it upon myself to look for Companies in my profession, in Adelaide, through the Yellow Pages website. Through their advertised websites, I then emailed around half a dozen with my resume/cv.

Well blow me! On Saturday morning I had my first positive response and I have recieved another this morning. I started this exercise on Friday. Both are very keen to speak to me and discuss the career opportunities further.

I understand that negative posts have to be put on PIA and such to make people aware of the posible pitfalls, but people should also be made aware that there is a great deal of generalisation with these posts and that the nature of the hiring company and the nature of the job/profession should also be borne in mind. (no criticism of the poster as you are only informing as to your experiences)

Howard.

Can i ask what line of work your in? This will have a bearing obviously and if your skills are well sought after this will be why. My husband is applying for work again, hes applied for 50 jobs this time and has had 1 interview and i can name alot more people in the same position. Maybe you are the exception to the rule as most companies wont even give you a second look until your here and unless youve got something really good to offer. Best of luck though x

Guest Fancy a Beer

Howard.

Great post Howard and that is how we generated my OH 6 interviews when we came on our Rekkie trip nearly 3 years ago now, after attending the interviews he was offered all 6 jobs, he is very good at what he does hence why we now have our own successfull business!! But out of those 6 there was only 1 he really was interested in, and when we arrived he did end up taking that position.

My post is NOT a negative post, purely a point for many to think about! I am not saying that there are no jobs out there, there are, what I am saying is when we came on our rekkie we looked at where all of these 6 interviews were and they were all very close to each other, in the City, so in view of that we then looked at locations to live and ensured he didnt have a huge journey to work! Thats my point combined with the fact that 3 years down the line jobs are not as available as they were and therefore the competition is VERY high at the moment, and one of the things alot of employers will do is as said before look at skill and then potential employees location!

As someone has commented also you are very lucky as so many employers will not even respond to people until they are in the country! Good Luck!