Where to live - where to avoid

Guest bming

Guest bming

We are a couple in our fifties. We like to grow our own food. We need a property that has at least 1000 sq m of land and is walking disatance to regular public transport to the city. Living 45 minutes or less from the CBD is our preference. $500,000 is our preferred limit for buying the propertry.

All you knowledgeable Adelaidephiles please tell us the suburbs tat are OK and the one's to avoid:realmad:

45 mins from CBD open up a huge range of areas, but ones with good public transport? I cant comment on nothr of city, but i know the train terminates at Noarlunga. And for the money your talking you could easily get what your looking for their. Lovely wee place by the sea. Good beaches, nice cafes. Takes about 30 mins on train into CBD i think. Hallett Cove for that price would also be good. And seaford is a lovely little place too, but pretty sure the public transport down to there is slightly more limited, but stand to be corrected. You could also try Flagstaff Hill, which is a lovely suburb about 25 mins from city by car, but again, buses only, no trains, along the same lines would be Happy Valley i think. As for places to avoid?? Will let others discuss that as i don't want to offend anyone! lol

Guest bming

45 minutes from city is a mximum and only if regular public transport is avaialalbe. The reason for such a wide dietance is to maximise choice for the price limit set. If I can get a quater of an acre plus much closer and still have change that would be great. I have been to Adelaide a number of times and lived at Burnaside for around 6 months. I do not know the city well enough to know where to liver though between the city and Glenelg looks good -and I beliecve East to Mt Barker / Heindorf may be OK. I do not want crime and I do not want run down.

If I can get a quater of an acre plus much closer

I do not want crime and I do not want run down.

Well you wont get 1/4 acre between CBD and Glenelg. You will have to look further in the hills

As for no crime when you find where that is perhaps you can let everyone know where it is

Guest pushbutton

Areas to avoid include some parts of Elizabeth and Salisbury (although some other parts of these suburbs are being rapidly transformed into very nice areas now), Kilkenny, Angle Park, Mansfield park (although again there's a major redevelopment underway and parts of these suburbs are now very nice), Port Adelaide (again there's major redevelopment happening there too), Mile End, and Christies beach.

Within each of these areas there are small pockets of very troubled neighbourhoods with quite a lot of crime, grafitti, drugs, prostitution etc etc and general anti-social behaviour.

Guest Rob and Clare

This is always an emotive subject.

There was a study recently in the Advertiser which rated the TOP 50 suburbs (do a google search for top 50 suburbs in adelaide), whilst we may not agree 100 % with the methodology at least it was based on facts (employment, Property Value Increases, Crime, etc...) rather than emotion.

Have fun looking.

Guest jorose

Yep I agree a totally emotive subject. Everyone has different opinions on areas to live or not to live and what suits one doesn't suit another. Before we came we were dead set on a particular area. Anyway once we arrived we realised that no amount of looking on realestate etc can simulate "in the flesh" looking. Would suggest just find yourself somewhere as a base to rent on arrival then take a good look around once your here. We have rented in somewhere never even heard of when were in the UK. Furthermore we are building in somewhere that back in the UK would just not have even been considered. Wish you well.