Guest Fat Boy Fat

Locking of threads

Guest Fat Boy Fat

Just something for the moderators to think about next time they decide to lock a thread.

The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Guest soggy
    Just something for the moderators to think about next time they decide to lock a thread.

The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

If he was a mod on a internet forum he may have changed his mind.

Simon:)

But the issue you have on a forum is people accepting other peoples views and opinons...without it spiralling into something which then gets locked...!!!!

HG

Guest SA Great

I'll have an ounce of what you're on

Guest lastboyscout
    I'll have an ounce of what you're on

`Pass the koutchie from the left hand side`- Musical Youth (originally The Mighty Diamonds) :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

But the issue you have on a forum is people accepting other peoples views and opinons...without it spiralling into something which then gets locked...!!!!

I really enjoy reading the threads which are more...controversial?:)

I know the site is to share helpful advice/opinions between people who are going through emigration, but in creating an online community, isn't it natural that people want to discuss other issues which arise from the more straighforward posts/replies?

I think it is a shame that people seem unable to separate the issue from the person, from adding little 'in' digs or mean comments, or sidelining an opinion because it isn't what they want to hear or is from someone they don't 'know'. I love a good discussion lol!

For people who are established here and perhaps not part of the Brit community, this site offers an intriguing insight into people who have just arrived/want to arrive and the issues that affect them. And if that sounds like I'm just here 'cos I'm nosy, then yes it is, but every now and then (usually school holidays lol!)I can take part and perhaps help someone. If the site becomes too bread-and-butter, even my inherent nosiness will atrophy lol!*

Please allow the debates to continue - and that's addressed to everyone not just the mods, who I appreciate, can sometimes have a difficult function to perform.

LC

* Here's your chance not to be mean and just post "Good riddance' or something!;)

Guest lastboyscout
    DUTCHY:goofy:

I know :arghh:

Let me explain, The Mighty Diamonds sang `koutchie` in the original which was a direct reference to cannabis , and the smoking thereof, Musical Youth remade the original but changed a few words so as to appeal to the masses ;)

Aren`t jokes ****e when you have to explain them ??? :biglaugh: