What's it really like?

Guest SUPERSTARDJ01

Guest laurenburton92

'P' plates do not symbolise young people! And I havnt exactly given out incorrect infomation like I have said at least 3 times its my opinion! I have been to the city on a saturday night annd I do no exactly where to go,

and it wasn't as busy as I thought and there was definitly a lot of older people out!

Adelaide not being a holiday destination has nothing to do with young people!

I believe that the teenagers grow up and realise that adelaide is NOT where they want to spend the rest of there life, move to brisbane or melbounre, and come back when they are 65!

And that's not even being sarcastic!

In the salon I work in the clients are mostly old with a few people in 30's! And they always speak about their grandaughters, daughters etc moving away at a young age! And I don't bloody blame them to be honest!

I have tried to put my opinion on the subject nicely, and all iv had is digs! Thanks to the honest people who agree with me!

P.s the only decent young people I have met have been english ( ironic )

Guest whitfan

honestly, get your butt down to any suburban pub, or a beachside area on a nice day, or rundle street or melbourne st or hutt st or hindley st on a sat or friday. I would say that a lot of young people here tend to hang out at each others places rather than go out as well. It's more about social networking rather than any environmental factor.

Ah well, Adelaide doesn't suit everyone and I'm sure if you want to meet more similar people to yourself you'll find them on the Gold Coast or somewhere like that. As for the only decent people you've met being English, well, what can I say? You're in Australia now... if a Polish migrant in Cardiff had told you the only decent people in Wales were Polish, how would you feel about that? Would you want to take them out and about to meet more locals or would you leave them to themselves?

Guest Guest75
'P' plates do not symbolise young people! And I havnt exactly given out incorrect infomation like I have said at least 3 times its my opinion! I have been to the city on a saturday night annd I do no exactly where to go,

and it wasn't as busy as I thought and there was definitly a lot of older people out!

Adelaide not being a holiday destination has nothing to do with young people!

I believe that the teenagers grow up and realise that adelaide is NOT where they want to spend the rest of there life, move to brisbane or melbounre, and come back when they are 65!

And that's not even being sarcastic!

In the salon I work in the clients are mostly old with a few people in 30's! And they always speak about their grandaughters, daughters etc moving away at a young age! And I don't bloody blame them to be honest!

I have tried to put my opinion on the subject nicely, and all iv had is digs! Thanks to the honest people who agree with me!

P.s the only decent young people I have met have been english ( ironic )

I give in...............

I seriously cannot see where anyone is having a dig at you Lauren.

I even posted an explanation of my posts in this thread but that was not taken in the reasonable spirit it was intended.

Guest laurenburton92

I don't have anything else to say to that thanks, I still have the same opinion of this country, apart from the person who originally posted this take everyones opinion into account when making a decision, and you can come to your own deciision on what u think :D

Guest Nomoreengland
Nomoreengland, how on earth can you compare S****horpe, BIF etc with Adelaide? You must be taking the mickey, surely? Adelaide has 3 universities and many of the world's leading brands have an office there. As for it being a 'small country town', Adelaide has THREE TIMES the population of Liverpool and Manchester, never mind Barrow in Furness, which has a population of 50 000. In fact, only London has a bigger population than Adelaide out of all the cities in the UK. Check this link for a comparison. Adelaide has a population of around 1.2million. England (Great Britain and Northern Ireland): Counties, Unitary Districts, Major Cities & Towns - Statistics & Maps on City Population

I have been to Adelaide twice now and there are PLENTY of young folk around. I sampled a million bars and such places and was often the oldest person there, and I'm only 36.

Are you having a laugh as if Adelaide is bigger than Manchester or Liverpool. Greater Manchester has a population of 2.6 million (more than double the size of Adelaide) and Merseyside around 1.4 million. Therefore both of bigger than Adelaide. Dont let the polulation of adelaide fool you comparing to cities in the UK - its not an apples for apples comparison owing to the fact that Greater manchester includes all surrounding suburbs which are part of the city (ie Salford, Stockport, Bury, Oldham). The population of Adelaide includes all surrounding suburbs not just the "city", therefore most Uk cities are actually bigger but local council in England divide it up differently.

Therefore, No, im not having a laugh comparing Adelaide to S****horpe.

Guest kangomik

Lauren i think your post is good, it's your opinion and your experience and Adelaide is completely different to most towns and city's in the UK. The population is smaller and spread further.

Old people see young people, young people see old people. I agree that many youngsters move on from Adelaide, why wouldn't they when the whole country has a downer on Adelaide, the country town.

There's nothing for younger people during winter, and not too much in summer.

Well done on posting and sticking with it, those are your opinions and i am glad people with sledge hammers (mods again) could not force you away or to change your mind.

Guest laurenburton92

Thanks! Totally agree with the population comment, adelaide ( or how it is classed ) is huge in comparison to any u.k city, so of course the population would be bigger! The cities r smaller and have a lot of people in, in the u.k but adelaide is so spread out and big its going to have more! Duh!

Guest Squareman

No Nomoreengland, you are wrong. S****horpe has a population of 70 000. Barrow in Furness has a population of 50 000. We can debate what constitutes 'greater' Adelaide/Manchester etc but you cannot say Adelaide is a small country town like S****horpe etc. That's complete bollocks.

No Nomoreengland, you are wrong. S****horpe has a population of 70 000. Barrow in Furness has a population of 50 000. We can debate what constitutes 'greater' Adelaide/Manchester etc but you cannot say Adelaide is a small country town like S****horpe etc. That's complete bollocks.
How come S..t is not allowed,or S....horpe,but Bollocks is?:huh:

And there it is arguing over nothing. Lauren said she was from cardiff so comapring english cities as comparison is rubbish.

O.k my opinion of the place firstly all lot of the young leave as their opinions are not listen to including this thread

It is a very old fashioned town.

Food expensive

Petrol changes price daily

We arrived july and it is freezing so much for the driest state I have seen more rain here than

I have in a long time. supermmarkets are small which is not a bad thing as can't spend as much

I find the people i have met not open to knew ideas

On here I have found people very biased

Most people you talk to in adelaide don't have anything goog to say bout any other state in oz

Ah well, at least not all of us in Adelaide chat to our kids via a public forum!

I'm going to close this thread now as it's ceased to give any useful info to the original poster. Hopefully he/she will consider all opinions, both of people staying here and people leaving, and make up their own minds!

Guest cornish Busdriver

I will just add my 2 cents worth here as well.

Guess it depends what kind of lifestyle you lead before Adelaide and what kind of lifestyle you were expecting to live once you got here.

Speaking as someone who works with the public and who deals with hundreds or sometimes a few thousand people every day and as someone who has served every suburb at some point i have seen Adelaide at its worst and best.

What suits some people does not suit others, if you want the rat race then Adelaide wont be the place for you but if you want the laid back, do it later, if its not broke why fix it attitude then it would be and thats why i love it here.

Just a quick question for you Laren. Did you come here for a reccie before moving here?