Not renewing our 405 and going back.

Guest colette

Guest colette
good luck to you in your new move life is for living and I think you do what is best for your family at a certain time. would completley agree re NHS. We lived in ireland before we came here and always laughed so hard when it was said NHS was crap. Fabulus system. Yorkshire is fab. enjoy

I come from Dlublin but left many years ago when I married my Scottish husband. I came from a working class family and my mother used to always say to us 'if you fall at school, don't let the nuns send you for an xray, come home and I will decide whether you need one or not as the nuns aren't paying for it'. We used to really have to be ill before we would see a doctor due to the cost. The NHS is fantastic although it has lost its way a little. Where in Ireland did you live?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We visited Harrogate for a week and fell in love with it. We will be moving there next year. Any advice would be welcome i.e. removals, nice areas to live etc. I am delighted you feel you made the right move. We are so excited about another adventure. It would be nice to keep in touch as we don't know anyone in Yorkshire but then we didn't know anyone before we came to Adelaide. it is all part of the adventure.

Harrogate is a lovely place but some people do say its full of the upper classes. Yes there is a lot of money in the area and house prices etc reflect this. I was brought up there but my husband is Leeds born and bred and was a bit wary about living in Harrogate. He is happy to be living here now as it is a good place to live with children. I am happy as my kids get to see their grandma every week. Hope the plans go well for your move back

Guest colette
Harrogate is a lovely place but some people do say its full of the upper classes. Yes there is a lot of money in the area and house prices etc reflect this. I was brought up there but my husband is Leeds born and bred and was a bit wary about living in Harrogate. He is happy to be living here now as it is a good place to live with children. I am happy as my kids get to see their grandma every week. Hope the plans go well for your move back

We really liked it and property is much cheaper than it is in Berkshire or even the Eastern suburbs in Adelaide at present exchange rates. We are thinking on buying one of the flats in the big Victorian houses near The Stray but are worried about living in a flat - will it be noisy etc? We looked at a few when were there and were very impressed. Our ideal would be near the Oval. Harrogate seemed like a safe area and definitely had 'class'.

Did you take your car back with you? Which removal firm did you use?

Thanks

Colette

The investment for South Australia is US$500,000 at the current interest rate, you also have to have a separate $500,000 in funds and an annual income of $50,000. The actual sticker visa in your passport costs approx. £22,000 when you first apply and then every four years after that. The government can raise the cost of the visa sticker whenever they like. It was increased by 20% last year. For this you get permission to work 20 hours per week, you renew it every 4 years, no medicare and no permanent residence. We visited Canada extensively in the past but just like the idea of a new place in the UK where the medical etc is free and the culture is great.

I wouldn't recommend the 405 but then it is just my opinion.

Cheers

Colette

This is just incredible!! I am just amazed that anyone would ever come over on this visa - it stinks!

Guest WhatNow?

For some (especially older migrants) it can be the only alternative. As long as you understand and accept the restrictions on it and it serves your purpose (as it obviously did for the OP) then it can provide a way to come to Australia, albeit temporarily, for longer than a tourist visa. To be fair, most people who use this visa do so with their eyes wide open and don't actually intend to stay in the long term or have other options that they exercise at a later date. It is made very clear by Immigration that it is not a "path to permanence" and is really just a way of ensuring that people who come over on it are well enough off to have enough funds to support themselves and go back if necessary. Of course the government get to hold onto a load of money at the same time, but that is made perfectly plain when you apply.

Guest draclee

we're going the other way, England/ Britain is a lovely country literally, but in my opinion the politics ruin the chance of every day normal folk living a decent life. every year taxes are going up and up far more than wages and all we do is roll over and do nothing about it. I used to love it here but now i feel like a prisoner and before long i can see this so called 'Great Britain' becoming a 3rd world country.

we're going the other way, England/ Britain is a lovely country literally, but in my opinion the politics ruin the chance of every day normal folk living a decent life. every year taxes are going up and up far more than wages and all we do is roll over and do nothing about it. I used to love it here but now i feel like a prisoner and before long i can see this so called 'Great Britain' becoming a 3rd world country.

Don't think you will find any difference over here the cost of living is out of control here now, electricity is about to double in price water the same all sorts of taxes need to be paid it is getting very expensive to live here now.

Guest colette

I know what you mean, but I would advise you not to look at Australia through rose tinted glasses. We were lucky to have the funds to come here for an adventure. The cost of living is very high here in relation to salaries. We are hit with a double whammy since the bulk of our income is in sterling so we get very little for our pound. But in my opinions the hardest thing for Brits is having to pay for Doctors and prescriptions etc.

We were a little disappointed at the level of political correctness they have here so I would recommend a good dose of realism before you make the move. It is very easy to think Australia is the land of milk and honey after watching some of the TV programmes. It does offer a great life particularly for families with young children. It is hard at first, the distance, the cost of getting established etc. I wish you the very best in your move. We are very lucky in that if the UK doesn't work out then I may return to Ireland which is in an even bigger mess. Life is one big adventure and I am loving it.

Guest nicandchris

Whilst Australia is not the 'land of milk and honey' England is spiriling downwards seriously, if you think oz is bad id wait and see how the uk is doing - and going. I cannot and willl not believe that living in Adelaide, once settled does not offer a better life than the UK. I think that possibly rose tinted glasses need to be removed for the UK where prescriptions are high although admittedly visits to the GP still 'free' (paid for highly through your payslip), child benefit will soon be non existent, uni fees unaffordable for those other than the rich, again (unless they want a £40,000 debt before 20 years of age), morgages unaffordable, living in each others pockets i could go on. We need our children to grow up as children for as long as possible - which i firmly do not believe can truly happen here, no matters how sentimental we may feel about this 'visually' and 'superficially' beautiful country.

Guest colette
Whilst Australia is not the 'land of milk and honey' England is spiriling downwards seriously, if you think oz is bad id wait and see how the uk is doing - and going. I cannot and willl not believe that living in Adelaide, once settled does not offer a better life than the UK. I think that possibly rose tinted glasses need to be removed for the UK where prescriptions are high although admittedly visits to the GP still 'free' (paid for highly through your payslip), child benefit will soon be non existent, uni fees unaffordable for those other than the rich, again (unless they want a £40,000 debt before 20 years of age), morgages unaffordable, living in each others pockets i could go on. We need our children to grow up as children for as long as possible - which i firmly do not believe can truly happen here, no matters how sentimental we may feel about this 'visually' and 'superficially' beautiful country.

As I have said throughout my posts - where you decide to live is very much a matter of personal choice and there is no perfect place in this world. I would point out that prescriptions cost £7.50 no matter what the actual cost is in the UK where as here those with medicare pay approx. $32 (£20). Interest rates at the moment are the lowest ever in the UK whereas they are in the region of 7% and rising in Australia. The average mortgage takes up over 9 times the average salary whereas it is 7 times in the UK. The point I was making is that it is easy to see Australia through rose tinted glasses, particularly if you watch programmes likes 'Wanted Down Under', and then get a shock when you arrive. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Adelaide and as I have said before I am very fortunate to be able to move on. Many people on this site have found it extremely difficult to settle. One of the reasons might be that although the state is desperate to sponsor 'tradies' employers are sometimes worried about the visas being 'temporary'. So getting a job is not always easy. Nowhere is perfect but it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking life is wonderful and problem free in Oz when it is not always so. I have seen some changes over the last few years e.g. a huge increase in the amount of graffiti , an increase in traffic and rising crime. II am sure it is still nothing like areas in the UK but it is there. This site is incredibly helpful to new arrivals and for those who are planning to emigrate. I think it can be useful to offer a balanced view of life wherever that may be and rose tinted glasses are never a good thing.

Guest nicandchris

Colette I appreciate your points of view and i definately understand your point of view. However despite the points you have highlighted and how much i love the Uk its culturally changing very quickly. There are lots of good things and of course lots of negative things about all places which i would like to think we all accept as things do change, thats life afterall, but ive spoken to quite a few people now who are taking the move over to Adelaide and none have watched the tv ranting on about how good life in oz is - but they are experiencing life in England NOW and feeling like us that before life gets really out of hand here we want out - we want to know the negative points about oz but also the good points - how life is Adelaide IS GOOD as well as the bad, we have hope that life can and will be a LITTLE different - a little better for us all.xx

Guest WhatNow?

If you are a permanent visa holder your prescriptions are only $14 not $32, by the way...yet another reason for going for the permanent option from day 1 if you can, especially if you have a young family. It's tempting to get here more quickly and cheaply and I know many nursing agencies push this route but, as you will see from the posts on PIA, there are serious downsides to being on a visa that doesn't give you access to full entitlements.

There's a lot of talk on this post about the cost of living in the UK and Adelaide. I moved to Adelaide in 2005 as a permanent resident and then became a citizen. Having seen the rising costs of everything in those 5 years and the extra items you need to pay for that you don't in the UK, I can honestly say that the cost of living is now higher in Adelaide than where I am now living in Yorkshire. The maximum prescription charge is $30 (approx) but if the medication is actually cheaper than that, then you pay the actual cost. If the prescribed medication is not on the PBS than you pay whatever the cost is - I was once prescribed medication that cost me $60.

I would just say to anyone moving to Adelaide, be realistic and do your research. You may think taxes are high in the UK but prepare yourself for Adelaide with their direct and indirect taxes. We didn't return to Yorkshire because of the cost of living, lots of other things came into our decision. If you love living in Adelaide enough then you will accept the living costs.

Good luck to everyone going in both directions. Life is for living!!

The cost of living and day to day expenses are definately a lot higher in Adelaide than the uk.

But on days like today when the sun is shinning ..I know where I would rather be.

If you are a permanent visa holder your prescriptions are only $14 not $32, by the way...yet another reason for going for the permanent option from day 1 if you can, especially if you have a young family. It's tempting to get here more quickly and cheaply and I know many nursing agencies push this route but, as you will see from the posts on PIA, there are serious downsides to being on a visa that doesn't give you access to full entitlements.

I think you will find you are wrong the the prescription price is $33.30 unless the item is cheaper than that. I have 3 prescriptions i get every month 2 @$33,30 and one at $17,00 the original cost of the 2 are over $100 so they get taken back to the prescription price and the other i get at cost price.And I have been here 13 years so not temp.

Guest WhatNow?

Yup you're right - I will engage brain before touching keyboard in future! Do any of you know if there is any system by which you can get repeats of an item on a single script rather than on separate ones. My GP in the Uk used to give me 6 months worth of BP medication on one script so it was classed as one item - one payment. Here I have to pay separately for each packet of tablets. I understand the multiple items when they are actually different but what about if they are the same? And do they do the equivalent of a 'season ticket' as in the UK?

Guest colette
Yup you're right - I will engage brain before touching keyboard in future! Do any of you know if there is any system by which you can get repeats of an item on a single script rather than on separate ones. My GP in the Uk used to give me 6 months worth of BP medication on one script so it was classed as one item - one payment. Here I have to pay separately for each packet of tablets. I understand the multiple items when they are actually different but what about if they are the same? And do they do the equivalent of a 'season ticket' as in the UK?

I have asked about this but the pharmacist says you can only get one packet at a time. And if you try to get the next pack too soon after the last one they question you about it as to why you need it so soon. Apparently it is to prevent people selling on PBS medicines. Things have changed in the UK too, the maximum you can get at any one time is 3 months supply. Again people were getting 6 months and selling them abroad. Apparently it is a real problem. When I was back this year I bought a 3 month prepaid prescription card for 28 pounds and got around 100 pounds worth of prescriptions free with it. My husband who turned 60 the day after we arrived got all his prescriptions free of charge. You just can't beat it!!!!

Guest WhatNow?

Thanks Colette, it was a faint hope I admit! I hope that your return is all that you would wish. Stay in touch and tell us how things measure up. I hear my UK friends moaning all the time on Skype about how depressing things are, but you will be able to give us a good comparison having seen both sides. It will be interesting to hear your views.

Guest Jersey Bean

I thought it was just me!

like you have lived in a few different places so can compare countries

Its not brilliant here by no means

But it will do!

brilliant post good luck (Collete)

Guest Sachertorte
You post has made me more determined to move to Yorkshire, we loved Harrogate as it had everything anyone could want. Where are you based. Any advice on moving back would be appreciated. You have cheered me up no end. Thanks Colette

I agree wholeheartedly with you Colette. I also feel Harrogate is the best place to live in northern England and you are near Wetherby and York, also beautiful spots. No seaside, but as you say, £20000 pays for a lot of holidays!!

Having tea at Betty's and driving around the countryside and the small villages (have you been Knaresborough- we almost moved there- super friendly place- beautiful riverside)

ATB with your adventure :cute:

Guest colette
haha not bad however not 'exactly free' with the high taxes and NI that we pay! x

One of the best things about Adelaide is free/cheap parking, but this is changing too. The best, best thing is the sea and the lovely seascapes. I will definitely miss it but not the wildlife. But then I will be busy visiting museums, art galleries, stately homes, theatre, etc. I will not have to worry about medical bills (we don't get medicare) or the exchange rate. Adelaide has cheap petrol but very few places to drive to (just my opinion - I am not an outback type). It will be nice to have people visit for a day or two and not a month or two because they have come such a long distance. It will be especially nice to be nearer my daughters - New York and London are next door by comparison to Adelaide. But I will be surrounded by mist, cloud, drizzle and greyness. But then no 45 degree days. Pros and Cons - everyplace has them you just decide which are the greater and do what you have to do. Thank you all for your lovely comments, you really are a good bunch.

Great post

Its interesting ,i live in yorkshire and we have decided to up sticks and move to Adelaide with our 2 young children. Im realistic and hope its works out but if not maybe it will still be a positive experience for my family? I must admit living close to the peak district makes me wonder if anywhere could be more beautiful. Michelle