Guest Guest11535

We arrive in Adelaide on 3/6/13, done skills test and Vetassess and have the TRA advice letter. Could someone please tell me how I go about getting my white card and which organisation this is issued through.

Any advise will be greatly received.

Gary

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi should not be answering your question as I have been told off in the past not to comment on this thread as I am not a plumber but as the guy who started it is never about to help anymore here goes. To get a white card you will have to do the course its a 6hr course it can cost about $100. Depends where you will be based north south etc where you do it there are loads of places do it. If you get a CITB card when you get here you can do the course for a discounted price about $50. Do not do it over the internet as they are not reconised by a lot of people and you will have to do it again.

We will be based in Pt Noarlunga for the first month then to wherever the work is, had a couple of employers telling me to knock on their door once I arrive. Just getting a bit confused with the white card and plumbing licence, As I have no intentions of being self employed out in Oz (done that over here), does that mean I only need my provisional and the white card?

regards,

Garyupnorth.

Edited by hesk1
Posted under wife's signature by accident

Guest pdm138
We will be based in Pt Noarlunga for the first month then to wherever the work is, had a couple of employers telling me to knock on their door once I arrive. Just getting a bit confused with the white card and plumbing licence, As I have no intentions of being self employed out in Oz (done that over here), does that mean I only need my provisional and the white card?

regards,

Garyupnorth.

G'day Gary, to actually work down here mate, you only need a white card to work on some building sites, as i have never been asked for mine in the 3.5 yrs ive been working, its better to get it asap as it will become a a requirement soon as the h&s side of things is slowly playing catch up with the UK, and as for the licence, well mate its a mine field, you need to get all you certs together and go to the offices in the CBD and they with issue you with your temp licence which will have the wording "can work under supervision" on it (which means that you can work for a company under thier supervision" then what you need to do is register with TAFE (they are a joke shop,please do not get down hearted with this process as its a legal requirement down here) to do an immigrants gap training course on water, sanitary and drainage, this is a 3 week process which isnt done all at the same time its run when ever they can get enough people together for a class, once completed you will get the certs from them, and then you have to go back to the offices in the CBD and get your licence up graded to the wording "can work under the technical direction" this means that you can go out and work on your own (still for a registered plumbing company) (all this costs money (of course) this is an aussie equivilent of the UK cert 3, and is more favourable to employers than the earlier licence, NOTE* if you get registered with CITB (construction industry training board) you used to get discount on some if not all of the courses as an immigrant, this saves a small fortune, so to sum it all up mate get registered with the CITB, TAFE, Whitecard, and the Licencing office asap, this makes the job application process more appealling to employers. The best of luck Gary (I hope i havnt confused you in any way)

regards Paul .... North east Adelaide

Guest Guest11535

Thank you pdm138, I understand the system now, the white card is a bit like the CSCS / CSTS card to keep the H&S police happy on site, I have also got my head around the "under supervision" and the "technical direction" licence. Its a bit like old school indenture certificate system ((city and guilds) of which i completed) before the NVQ scheme came in. Once again cheers for the great advice.

Best regards

Garyupnorth

Edited by Guest11535

Guest matt star

FYI garry the information provided to you by PBM138 on Plumbing Licencing in SA is almost entirely inaccurate today. Some of this stuff may have been the case back then, but licencing and education are constantly evolving. Can I suggest contacting TAFE SA, Skills recognition services or Consumer and business services for the most currant and up to date information.

Guest pdm138

Matt the information i have given is fact!!!!!! as i am still going through all the red tape involved in the licencing issues as we speak, and when you say "back then" we are only talking about last year 2012 pal??????? So lets just get the facts clear Matt, do you need a white card? do you need to register with the licencing dept in the CBD? do you need to do gap training before you obtain a usable licence to work unsupervised?

Guest Guest11535

I have enough info to get me started on the road to becoming an employed plumber down under, I am sure once I'm on the road I will be pointed in the right direction on completion of each course. Thank you for the advice and I am very greatful. I am sure my future employer will also be able to advise. With my research, Training prospects.sa.au have been very good and their website helped a lot, just e-mailed them earlier today and received a reply almost straight away. Any other plumbers on here its worth a look.

regards,

gary

Edited by Guest11535

Guest matt star

PDM Iam the guy that people come and see if they want there Plumbing licence matt.hills@tafesa.edu.au Give me an email mate and if you have been messed around I appologise... Come and see me and ill get you back on the right path.. Things have changed for the better, Yep their is alot of red tape " its government policy stuff" but we have come up with some better process to help you guys out. There is some $$ available if you have enterd on the right Visa and there is some short course stuff you can do for FREE.. Yep you need a white card.

FYI there is alot of stuff going on behind at high level imigaration and education to make things easier. I know this because I am in there batting for you guys everyday.... Whatch this space, it is getting better for Plumbers migrating to OZ.

Didnt mean to upset

Guest pdm138

I know you from TAFE mate, and Michelle and Craig, as i have had dealings with you all, and not one of you knew what was the FACTS ..... BACK THEN ..... so for you to tell anybody that my information is inaccurate i think you need to look a bit closer to home MATE ........ enough said

• 2 weeks later...

Its not just plumbers its all trades, and a few professions too, it seems your quailifications are good to get you out here but frigging useless onc here, I think this is where the Fed gov needs to come in and sort this out being an apprentice again at 40+ years and you know more then them training you is a joke!! Strang how Dr Patel managed to get work with out retraining hay!

Good luck to all with everything you have to do.

Keith

Your trades are recognised, that's what got us here. It's just the Gap that has to be learned, the different regs, installation methods, materials. Some trades just have more of a gap then others.

The path for doing this gap training is now more clearly defined and both TAFE and other RTOs such as PEER and ATEC now run regular courses for these.

Guest matt star

Licensing and education For Plumbers and Gas fitters is on the move again.... Please contact the appropriate people to see what will effect you.. Everybody will have individual needs.. Please keep this in mind when you are posting generalisations on this forum.. Cheers

COAG has announced that the National Occupational Licensing System will be implemented in 2014 following additional consultation conducted by States and Territories.

follow the link if it works to national Occupational Licensing Scheme...

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest11535

Well we have arrived here in Adelaide, just to let some of you plumbers understand the state of affairs. I have managed to get a job in plumbing within 4 weeks, that's after sending out about 50 CV's complete with my certs, vetassess , TRA points test advice letter, gas safe registration and references from my previous employer infact my entire employment history. I am on a 3 month provisional position and there is no job security with the company. This seems to be the norm until you get established and prove yourself to the employer and then the contract can be upgraded to a full time position with better terms and conditions.

• 6 months later...

I have read all the posts and I have come to conclude that the process of getting a license as a plumber in Adelaide can be a tricky one.Since I plan to move there ,can anyone please,that has done the recognition of prior learning ,shed some light on it? I mean what is supposed to happen ,what documents are required ,is an interwiew involved how much it costs ,where it can lead and so on.I would appreciate a lot any info given.Thanx in advance.

Guest dingding66

My hubby changed his career as he is more qualified then how everyone is trained here it is so behind for sure...

Plumbing not easy so hubby opted out to go back to college and learn a second grade....he changed his career altogether so we would

suggest keep your options open ....GOOD LUCK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Sharoneden

Hi Rob, Just a quick message to your link on behalf of my husband, almost 5 years on just wandered if the situation is much the same with regards to plumbing qualifications. Is Taffe college still the best place to do the qualifications. We only arrived about 4 weeks ago, my husband being a qualified plumber and had his own business in the UK and looking to do his plumbing qualifications now here. Is the contact you gave still at the taffe college? Do you have any plumbing contacts that may consider taking my husband on ? Any advise or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Guest Sharoneden

Hi, Is Phil Morgan the guy we need to contact at Taffe with regards to getting my husband booked onto these plumbing courses? We arrived just 4 weeks ago and so any advise you can give on which courses my husband needs to do here to work as a qualified plumber would be great. I am hoping you could help out with some plumbing contacts who would consider employing him too???? Thanks