First shipping quote !!! Omg!!!

Guest fatman

Guest The Standalofts

Think they are trying to rip you off with saying you need a 40ft container, we have been told from the shiping company that a 20ft would do fine for furniture & tools and a 40ft if we decide to take the car (which is a large estate).

Lesley

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The great majority of Xbox games are not regionned, so won't be a problem. There is sometimes an issue with live memberships being registered in one country and credit cards from another country being used to buy points, but this can be sorted fairly easily.

Guest fatman
we was quoted 3,500 for a 20 foot container.

You must have plenty to bring over if you need a 40 foot container.

Yeah we need a 40ft container.... we have a big four bed house..... worked out the price to replace etc..... fingers crossed for 2nd & 3rd quotes!!!

Graham, Janis &Sophie Price (DULL & COLD AGAIN In Aberdeenshire :arghh:)

Am now reading all the threads and realising first two shipping companies > "Chancers"

Guest fatman
Im starting to think no point in a container as the costs are to high.

We are goint to just do the TVs and computer and a couple of boxes of toys and personal items and kitchen stuff.

Was never going to bring white goods as they are all built in.

We will get the rest out there as i think it will cost no more if i can get the shipping in for under £1000 for a couple of TVs and a few boxes.

Isn't it all stressful!! the thing is we have so much good quality furniture, plus all our memories..... we won't be taking our cooker, fridge, micro tho.... we have worked out how much it would cost to replace things and with what we need we still need a 40ft container.... so might as well stock it up!!!

Good luck with the big move!!!

OMG, we still have to sort out IF its worth taking jeep over now!!! LOADS of RED TAPE!!!

Graham, Janis & Sophie (COLD, DULL & WINDY AGAIN HERE IN ABERDEENSHIRE!! :arghh:)

Just reading through all the threads..... realising there are a few CHANCERS out there/Shipping companies.... I bet if we moved all our furniture into another house the quote would be for a 20ft container!!!!!!

Guest fatman
Did you think is was best to save the rest of us the shock ,by not putting the price up:biglaugh:

were also hopeing to ship a pickup and are motorhome.

OMG!!! thought we were in for a shock!!! just wait till you start getting your quotes!!!

Loads of RED TAPE with vehichles..... If you look on "POMSINOZ" web there is a guy called "Ironchef" on there, he has a link with all details for shipping vehicles over also Containers... we are in touch with him now and in process of getting some quotes frm him (his name is Kristian) and he is frm Adelaide!!!.... let us know if you want his private e-mail address ok.

Have a good week,

Graham Price (Windy, cold and Grey AGAIN here in Aberdeenshire :arghh:)

Guest fatman
we was quoted 3,500 for a 20 foot container.

You must have plenty to bring over if you need a 40 foot container.

looks as if £3,500 - £4,000 an average quote ofr 20ft container

2 men 2 days to pack I pressume?

Cheers, Graham (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) :shocked:

Guest teamV
OMG!!! thought we were in for a shock!!! just wait till you start getting your quotes!!!

Loads of RED TAPE with vehichles..... If you look on "POMSINOZ" web there is a guy called "Ironchef" on there, he has a link with all details for shipping vehicles over also Containers... we are in touch with him now and in process of getting some quotes frm him (his name is Kristian) and he is frm Adelaide!!!.... let us know if you want his private e-mail address ok.

Have a good week,

Graham Price (Windy, cold and Grey AGAIN here in Aberdeenshire :arghh:)

Thanks ,we've already spoken to him ,here's some more quotes we got in january,should give you an idea.it was from cargo online,who ever they are as i can't remember now how I got intouch with them.

For shipping a 4WD from Southampton (United Kingdom) to Adelaide (Australia).

Shipping

Cost of Shipping by 20 foot Container (Sole Use)£1638.00

Origin

Origin Handling charges£25.00

Destination

Customs/Quarantine charges at destinationAu$229.00

Local Valuation if requiredAu$330.00

Customs/Quarantine/DEWR ClearanceAu$467.00

Steam Clean if requiredAu$302.00

Container Cartage ex wharf to depotAu$429.00

Container Unpack at depotAu$418.00

Port/Statutory authority charges at destinationAu$528.00

Clearance of Personal Effects if packed in car/containerAu$215.00

Delivery at destination (metro area) if requiredAu$198.00

For shipping a 4WD from Southampton (United Kingdom) to Adelaide (Australia).

Shipping

Cost of Shipping by Roll On / Roll Off for 4WD£1919.00

Origin

Origin Handling charges£25.00

Destination

Customs/Quarantine charges at destinationAu$229.00

Local Valuation if requiredAu$330.00

Customs/Quarantine/DEWR ClearanceAu$467.00

Steam Clean if requiredAu$402.00

Port/Statutory authority charges at destinationAu$396.00

Delivery at destination (metro area) if requiredAu$198.00

Guest fatman

Yeah I think the first two CHANCERS giving us quotes for Container think we are taking all the family with us as well!!! learning fast!!!...... Problem is if you have a big house (even tho we are only taking over slightly more than average) they think £££££££ !!!

Thanks for your reply OK!!

Janis (with slight Migrane I think!!)

Guest Mrs & Mrs T

Hi,

Iv suggested to my hubby he takes his motorbike (It is his pride and joy) but he's not sure about it.

Can i ask why your taking your cars? We do love our car and have only had it a couple of months but is it really worth taking it? My son was really upset when i said we would get rid of it...

Thanks Sarah

Guest mez10

We are a family of 4 and have been in Adelaide for just over a year now and had a 40ft container (no car!!) and would recommend anyone coming over to bring as much as possible. White goods (especially fridge/freezers), hoovers, bed linen etc are a lot more expensive over here and I think you will save in the long term by bringing them over. White goods are not necessarily included in rentals by the way. Good luck with everything......

Hi,

Iv suggested to my hubby he takes his motorbike (It is his pride and joy) but he's not sure about it.

Can i ask why your taking your cars? We do love our car and have only had it a couple of months but is it really worth taking it? My son was really upset when i said we would get rid of it...

Thanks Sarah

Some people take them as they are new and its cost effective to ship or some such. Or they have a big attachment or its not a car thats common in Aus and could sell on well.

But if your car is one of the bog standard types on sale here in the UK and its more than a year or two old, I'd think carefully and probably leave it behind and buy once in Aus. Yes cars are more expensive in Aus but you can still get good ones. Also consider the cost of a rental car till your car arrives.

We looked at bringing ours but have decided its really not worth it. We'll just make do for a few months and buy new once we are settled. Luckily for us we'll be living a few minutes from the tram line and also from a decent shopping area so it won't be an issue for me shopping or getting into the city. And hubby will most likely be working from home so we should be sorted.

I'd not worry if your son is sad about selling the car. I'm sure the adventure of a new car once there will be a good one for him :)

Guest SusieOR

So... my question is...

We will be renting our house out furnished so most of our furniture will be staying here!!!

With that in mind, would you consider buying things over here & shipping them in a container or would you just buy when you get to Oz???

I understand it may be cheaper to ship things over if you already own them... but what if you dont have things to bring? Where would you buy... here or Oz?

Cheers

Sx

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Well it's all fresh in our minds because we just shipped everything we own, about 10 days ago.

We got Doree Bonner in the UK to do it (handing over to Grace International in Oz) - they were THOUSANDS OF POUNDS CHEAPER than the other company that's been mentioned here (ever wanted to pick a Ford?). PM me if you want the exact figures.

We have a 3 bed semi + office + shed + attic + double garage and they got all of it into a 20' container. God knows how.

It took 1.5 days with around 6 blokes on day 1, with just 2 guys returning the next morning to finish off.

Their quote was based upon the container coming to the house for a strict 2 hour slot on day 2, but when they saw how inconsiderate my numpty neighbours park in our street, they agreed to bring smaller trucks and do a container transfer in a warehouse at no extra cost - even though they were effectively double handling everything. I was stressing about getting a 'coning order' from the council (cost: over £300) but didn't need to in the end thanks to them bringing trucks.

They were fantastic. My 2 young girls were fascinated and I had no problems at all leaving them to it with the girls around (no swearing etc) - just nice friendly blokes. When they were finished the foreman-type bloke told me that he would personally oversee the transfer into the container - and wished us all the best in Oz.

The crew that did it all were from Nottingham.

Just my experience - other's may say something different, but for us at least, it was a stress free couple of days........ Living in an empty house for a month, now THAT'S proving stressful.

Guest SusieOR
So... my question is...

We will be renting our house out furnished so most of our furniture will be staying here!!!

With that in mind, would you consider buying things over here & shipping them in a container or would you just buy when you get to Oz???

I understand it may be cheaper to ship things over if you already own them... but what if you dont have things to bring? Where would you buy... here or Oz?

Cheers

Sx

Anyone??? :D

Anyone??? :D

Well you are supposed to own the stuff you ship over for a year or some such. So buying stuff new and shipping it may get you caught out with import taxes. It might be a give away its all so new looking, even if you remove the wrapping/packaging and so on. They may ask for proof of purchase if its still looking (and smelling) in as new good nick but you are claiming its used and a year old.

I'd be wary buying lots of new stuff and shipping it. A few bits thrown in with your actual belongings you could get away with.

If you are renting out your house with contents then chances are you'll have to buy a fair bit new in Aus. My understanding is the quality of furniture isn't as good as you can find in the UK. Cheap is cheap wherever you go though isn't it :cute: But decent quality tends to be more expensive in Aus is what I keep hearing.

Ikea is in Aus now, they have one near the airport in Adelaide but it is a bit more pricey than the UK. However, it won't save anything at all on costs if you buy it here and ship it. That is, if you are planning on kitting out your house from Ikea. I'd say buy in Aus from Ikea if you plan on buying their stuff.

Personally I'd not like to replace everything we own as some of our stuff is very good quality and to replace in Aus would cost a small fortune. So we will ship some stuff, leave other bits behind. Will you ever want to ship your furniture over at a later date? If so consider the sorts of things you'll want to ship and therefore consider options before buying new in Aus.

Guest SusieOR
Well you are supposed to own the stuff you ship over for a year or some such. So buying stuff new and shipping it may get you caught out with import taxes. It might be a give away its all so new looking, even if you remove the wrapping/packaging and so on. They may ask for proof of purchase if its still looking (and smelling) in as new good nick but you are claiming its used and a year old.

I'd be wary buying lots of new stuff and shipping it. A few bits thrown in with your actual belongings you could get away with.

If you are renting out your house with contents then chances are you'll have to buy a fair bit new in Aus. My understanding is the quality of furniture isn't as good as you can find in the UK. Cheap is cheap wherever you go though isn't it :cute: But decent quality tends to be more expensive in Aus is what I keep hearing.

Ikea is in Aus now, they have one near the airport in Adelaide but it is a bit more pricey than the UK. However, it won't save anything at all on costs if you buy it here and ship it. That is, if you are planning on kitting out your house from Ikea. I'd say buy in Aus from Ikea if you plan on buying their stuff.

Personally I'd not like to replace everything we own as some of our stuff is very good quality and to replace in Aus would cost a small fortune. So we will ship some stuff, leave other bits behind. Will you ever want to ship your furniture over at a later date? If so consider the sorts of things you'll want to ship and therefore consider options before buying new in Aus.

Cool... never thought about export tax... I will probably just look at shipping a few boxes of stuff then... it will be quicker as well I presume!?!! I.e. a container can take 3 months or more... the tea chests dont take as long from what I have heard???

Appreciated

Sx

Well got a quote today for 10 x 24"x24"x36" large tea cartons and 3 x bike boxes (2 for bikes and 1 for TVs) all in for £600 picked up and delivered.

That along with 40Kls of luggage per person x 4 should be enough for all clothes, toys, kitchen bits, dvds, personal bits, computer, electricals, ect.

With an average cost of £3,500 for a container and we have to leave white goods here as they are built in it means we will have £2,900 or $4,350 to but a sofa, king bed, 2x single beds, and a kitchen table & chairs, and a few other bits.

Does $4,350 seem reasonable for what we are after ?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have to pay extra to take 40 kilos of luggage on the plane?

Unless you are on PR and flying with one of a few airlines you won't get 40kg allowance. And going over the 20kg normal economy allowance will cost a lot. Don't go over your allowance. Its a lot cheaper and easier to airfreight it or ship it over.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Yep - confirmed! We're flying with Singapore Airlines and they'll only honour 40kg baggage if you have an unvalidated PR visa.

Our humble 457's get you the normal 20kg.

We're aiming for a few kilos less, and arranging for a family member to literally post the remainder. I've heard you can get charged £35/kg for any over your allowance??

Ouch!!

Yep - confirmed! We're flying with Singapore Airlines and they'll only honour 40kg baggage if you have an unvalidated PR visa.

Our humble 457's get you the normal 20kg.

We're aiming for a few kilos less, and arranging for a family member to literally post the remainder. I've heard you can get charged £35/kg for any over your allowance??

Ouch!!

Shipping it over is probably your cheapest option. Look at some form of air freight. Or do as TheBacons did and crate it up. They seem to have been able to send a lot over for not very much in tea carton type boxes (scroll up the page of this thread to see their post on this).

Actually posting via the Post office will cost a small fortune also. I know one guy posted a small box back to Aus recently and paid £80 to do so :eek: It was no bigger than LP size and about 10cms deep. £80 :eek:

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Shipping it over is probably your cheapest option. Look at some form of air freight. Or do as TheBacons did and crate it up. They seem to have been able to send a lot over for not very much in tea carton type boxes (scroll up the page of this thread to see their post on this).

Actually posting via the Post office will cost a small fortune also. I know one guy posted a small box back to Aus recently and paid £80 to do so :eek: It was no bigger than LP size and about 10cms deep. £80 :eek:

That's insane! I sent an electric guitar in a hard shell case - weighed a ton - it was coffin sized by the time I'd finished adding extra cardboard! I shipped it from the UK to Ballarat (?) in Oz, for £130 ish.