First shipping quote !!! Omg!!!

Guest fatman

Yep - confirmed! We're flying with Singapore Airlines and they'll only honour 40kg baggage if you have an unvalidated PR visa.

Our humble 457's get you the normal 20kg.

We're aiming for a few kilos less, and arranging for a family member to literally post the remainder. I've heard you can get charged £35/kg for any over your allowance??

Ouch!!

Dear Mr.Skinner,

Thank you for your email.

Kindly be advised, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia /indefinitely / permanently, you will then be entitled to additional baggage allowance of 20 kilos, per passenger(adult & child from London/Manchester only).

This additional baggage allowance is only granted on your first use of the visa hence our requirement for it to be unstamped, the visa will be verified by our check-in staff on your day of departure.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

The excess baggage charge is SGD80.00 per kilo equivalent to GBP40.00 approximately.

We hope the above information helps with your enquiry.

Thank you for your interest in flying Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

Mervyn Antao

SIA UK

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Dear Mr.Skinner,

Kindly be advised, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia /indefinitely / permanently, you will then be entitled to additional baggage allowance of 20 kilos, per passenger(adult & child from London/Manchester only).

This additional baggage allowance is only granted on your first use of the visa hence our requirement for it to be unstamped, the visa will be verified by our check-in staff on your day of departure.

The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

The excess baggage charge is SGD80.00 per kilo equivalent to GBP40.00 approximately.

Yours Sincerely,

Mervyn Antao

SIA UK

S N A P ! ! ! :D

Dear Mr. Suddaby,

Please be advised that, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia *indefinitely / permanently, you will then be entitled to the double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger).

The double baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

For reference, passengers holding Australian passports, Spouse / Work / Business / Students / Provisional / Temporary / Working-Holiday / Partner Visas, or visas that have already been stamped / validated, will not be eligible for double baggage allowance.

Hope this information helps.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

Meena V.

SIA UK

Feedback Information * * * * :

Hi. We are travelling to Australia to emigrate, initially on a 457

visa (valid for 4 years until 2015). Can we qualify for extra baggage allowance? How to I get this? Many thanks.

Hi all ,just to let you know we have had 3 shipping companies at our house this week they,all did a walk round and listed all we were wanting to take . We are not taking everything and they worked out between 380 and 420 cubic foot, this was less than half of a 20ft container, although they all said it could be less but they always add a bit on .John Mason were the cheapest at £1770 all in door to door with full packing and unpacking. They were all very helpful and advised to weigh up the value of large items and would they need replacing in the near future, a three seater settee costs about £250 to ship and a double mattress about £125,worth working out whether its more economical just to replace as we will still have to buy a bed when we arrive .

Guest Mainds Family
Yep - confirmed! We're flying with Singapore Airlines and they'll only honour 40kg baggage if you have an unvalidated PR visa.

Our humble 457's get you the normal 20kg.

We're aiming for a few kilos less, and arranging for a family member to literally post the remainder. I've heard you can get charged £35/kg for any over your allowance??

Ouch!!

Yep, we got caught out at the airport as we thought we could pay extra for my hubbys golf clubs, they said they had to be included in our allowance and wanted £40 per extra kilo which left us with a £400 excess baggae charge....DOUBLE OUCH !!!!!!

Guest Fluterby
Unless you are on PR and flying with one of a few airlines you won't get 40kg allowance. And going over the 20kg normal economy allowance will cost a lot. Don't go over your allowance. Its a lot cheaper and easier to airfreight it or ship it over.

Hi Snifer

We came over on a 457 temporary business visa and got 40KG each. We flew with Quantus. I read about it on the web, on an other website HiFX. If you registered with HiFX (money exchange company) they gave you a code to phone Quantus to get discounted flights and double luggage. They just needed our visa numbers. We paid around £500 each for flights.

Once registered with the HiFX company you are under no obligation to use their services, however their exchange rate is usually better than the banks. They still send us a daily email with all exchange rates now. Really easy process. We even picked our seats on the plane.

David

Guest SusieOR
Hi Snifer

We came over on a 457 temporary business visa and got 40KG each. We flew with Quantus. I read about it on the web, on an other website HiFX. If you registered with HiFX (money exchange company) they gave you a code to phone Quantus to get discounted flights and double luggage. They just needed our visa numbers. We paid around £500 each for flights.

Once registered with the HiFX company you are under no obligation to use their services, however their exchange rate is usually better than the banks. They still send us a daily email with all exchange rates now. Really easy process. We even picked our seats on the plane.

David

Very useful info thanks :notworthy:

Hi Snifer

David

And from me to.

Excellent info, many thanks :notworthy:

Guest Fluterby

I looked on the HiFX website and couldnt see the offer I mentioned above so I sent them an email and got this reply:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Qantas offer. Please find below the contact details for this offer.

. Call Qantas on 0208 600 4328 - and select the option for the HiFX flight promotion

. Give them the password - ULURU

A reminder of the benefits

. Special Qantas one-way economy fares for clients migrating to OZ and NZ

. Additional discounts for children and infants

. Double baggage allowance

. Flexi tickets allowing date changes free of charge (subject to availability)

Kind Regards,

Andy Scott

Premier Account Manager

Morgan House, Madeira Walk, Berkshire, SL4 1EP

Direct Dial: +44 (0)1753 752644

Tel: +44 (0)1753 859159

Fax: +44 (0)1753 847630

Guest fatman
Just had first shipping company over for quote.... (Allied Pickfords)... didn't realise a full container is 40ft ..... half container is 20ft ????

apparently we need a 40ft container, double the cost.. of course everything takes up twice the space with all the bubble wrap and packaging..... bit of a shock, now we are having a long hard think to what we should take over etc.

Hopefully next quote cheaper!!.... 40ft container was WITHOUT our jeep!!! :eek:

:shocked:

Graham, Janis & Sophie Price (POURING RAIN AGAIN!!!! :arghh:)

SINCE THE THREAD ABOVE WE HAVE HAD FOUR QUOTES..... BEST QUOTE WAS "WHITES" NEARLY £1,000 CHEAPER!!!!! AND THATS FOR A 40FT CONTAINER INCLUDING OUR JEEP!!!

:idea:... always get several quotes!!!

We had a quote for nearly four and a half grand for 20ft container - who quoted 3,500 ? Gotta get some more quotes :shocked:

we have had 3 quotes all around the same price as you , we have been told that we wont even fill a 20 ft, so we are waiting on a quote from masons , will post when we get a price .

Guest jlr248
Dear Mr.Skinner,

Yours Sincerely,

Mervyn Antao

SIA UK

We have obtained a permanent visa and have documentation to prove it however Australian government no longer stamp this visa into passports as everything is done on line. How would we prove we were using our visa for first time and get extra baggage entitlement?

Guest hughescl
We have obtained a permanent visa and have documentation to prove it however Australian government no longer stamp this visa into passports as everything is done on line. How would we prove we were using our visa for first time and get extra baggage entitlement?

We flew last Sunday and they just ask for your letter from immigration confirming your visa, ensure you take this as even though the visa is electronically linked to the passport the check in desk can not access this so the very nice man told us at Heathrow. Claire :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sunshine&Showers
Well you are supposed to own the stuff you ship over for a year or some such. So buying stuff new and shipping it may get you caught out with import taxes. It might be a give away its all so new looking, even if you remove the wrapping/packaging and so on. They may ask for proof of purchase if its still looking (and smelling) in as new good nick but you are claiming its used and a year old.

I'd be wary buying lots of new stuff and shipping it. A few bits thrown in with your actual belongings you could get away with.

If you are renting out your house with contents then chances are you'll have to buy a fair bit new in Aus. My understanding is the quality of furniture isn't as good as you can find in the UK. Cheap is cheap wherever you go though isn't it :cute: But decent quality tends to be more expensive in Aus is what I keep hearing.

Ikea is in Aus now, they have one near the airport in Adelaide but it is a bit more pricey than the UK. However, it won't save anything at all on costs if you buy it here and ship it. That is, if you are planning on kitting out your house from Ikea. I'd say buy in Aus from Ikea if you plan on buying their stuff.

Personally I'd not like to replace everything we own as some of our stuff is very good quality and to replace in Aus would cost a small fortune. So we will ship some stuff, leave other bits behind. Will you ever want to ship your furniture over at a later date? If so consider the sorts of things you'll want to ship and therefore consider options before buying new in Aus.

I am too considering whether it would be best to ship over furniture etc or buy it in Oz. I have some good quality furniture I will definitely be taking but also have a lot that is in need of replacing. I won't be moving till next year so I may well buy some new stuff now. Doree Bonner offered the cheapest quote so far, they have a very useful volume calculator online too. Gives you an idea of the cost of shipping your furniture as opposed to leaving it. https://www.doreebonner.co.uk/international-moving/get-price

Guest ROB3SERA3

Hi there, thats fantastic

Who was the reps name they due wednesday as we had our second visit from pickfords today and we did 3 car boots(3x car fulls)ditched 3 white goods,ditched the large 3 door wardrobe, 2x execise bikes,Large fitted over bed unit, 1x pram,1x pushchair,2x car seats and proberbly a single bedroom of more stuff to save 300csqr ft :0 !!!

from 1900csqft down to his crap calculation to 1600csqrft

i have a 2 bed semi,attic and hot tub so why are my quotes from 1550 - 1900 before my clean up to have pickfords say i only 300 off previous quote!!

Guest cyprus2001

we have a four bed house and garage stored goods ie, bikes scooters etc including some white goods admittedly no wardrobes and only 2 beds but we only need a 20ft container.

You must have absolutely loads to go if you need 40 foot

Guest andyboy66

Had three quotes so far for a 20 foot, and we can't get them under £4800!!

Are we doing something wrong?

Tried Anglo pacific, Doree Bonner and Crown

Guest gabriel
Had three quotes so far for a 20 foot, and we can't get them under £4800!!

Are we doing something wrong?

Tried Anglo pacific, Doree Bonner and Crown

Do you need any crating at all ? like for pictures & large mirrors, I used to work for Bonners sometimes the wooden crates can bump the price up? We have 1 x large mirror to be crated? We have been quoted £4380 for a 20ft container. We would like to use Bonners but will get another quote to compare...they really are very good.

Trudy

Do you need any crating at all ? like for pictures & large mirrors, I used to work for Bonners sometimes the wooden crates can bump the price up? We have 1 x large mirror to be crated? We have been quoted £4380 for a 20ft container. We would like to use Bonners but will get another quote to compare...they really are very good.

Trudy

Not sure what area you are from but we are using john mason got a shared 20ft container for £2500 + insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MaxandDebs

Hi folks,we just had a quote from Whites & Co for a shared 20ft £2500 as well +insurance ,i was wondering wether to try another company but they seem to be around same price for a container,we used White & Co 1st time round (2009) they was realy helpfull so will probably use them again.It was the same guy that came as well and he remembered us,well it keeps them in work i suppose lol

Hi folks,we just had a quote from Whites & Co for a shared 20ft £2500 as well +insurance ,i was wondering wether to try another company but they seem to be around same price for a container,we used White & Co 1st time round (2009) they was realy helpfull so will probably use them again.It was the same guy that came as well and he remembered us,well it keeps them in work i suppose lol
Hi Max & Deb we had all our furniture collected yesterday.We used John Mason they were really good and we paid £1770 for 380cuft which is about half a 20ft container ,that was picking up in Fairburn North yorks to anywhere within 30mls of Adelaide city centre, they packed and wrapped every single item including all my Joinery tools and pushbikes.