Differences between North and South

Guest TH82

You can also use http://www.whereis.com.au to find the location of any particular suburb online, and zoom in and out to get an idea of surroundings. The RAA also has a good trip planner - http://www.raa.com.au/maps/ - so you can put in to and from destinations to get an idea of travel times, but bear in mind that you probably need to add 10 mins or so onto most times - what used to be the "20 minute city" only a few years ago is sadly nearer the "30 minute city" now!

Thank you for replying! Schooling is a consideration yes but I'm sure there will be good schools in both North and South. I am hoping to be able to work as well but being a Beauty Therapist, can always go mobile so can work pretty much anywhere (as long as there is plenty of women lol) . It would be lovely to be near a beach but I don't find that a priority, we can always drive out at the weekend (we like our day trips lol). I think Kevin's work is our biggest priority so maybe we will have to look at North more if that's where the work is

O that's good news if your job is mobile, so you only really need to focus on hubby's commute which makes things easier. Beaches aren't everything for us either but I must admit, living in Glenelg we'll be spoilt as its only a few minutes walk from where we'll be living.

I personally like 'old' Adelaide. It was what I knew first about the city and I guess it got under my skin and so its formed my preference for when we'll be looking for a house. Hubby used to live in the centre/CBD for a couple of years when we were dating, just a few minutes walk from the Central Market and Rundle mall with the parklands only a few minutes walk away also. I used to love wandering the streets exploring there. Really gave me a taste for the older style Adelaide houses. The wooden floorboards, fireplaces, high ceilings, inventive room shapes... So my not wanting to go too far out is more down to type of house that we'd like. I don't like newer builds, until the past few years I've always lived in older houses. So although we probably won't be in as old a house as I'd like, it will still hopefully not be a recent new build in one of the further out suburbs. Also hubby's family are all in the south and heading down the coast that way so it makes sense for us to stay south.

From what I read there are plenty of people on here who live in the northern end and like it. And I've seen some good houses on the property websites. And the fact people are happy there, as others are in elsewhere around Adelaide tells me its a decent area to live. Just some prefer or need to live elsewhere. World turning, everyones different and all that :) Good luck with it all and be sure to keep us posted :)

Guest jonny no cash

I live in the western suburbs and work in Elizabeth which is a 30 min drive,it would take about the same to drive down south so its pretty central for most area's

This North-South banter really makes me laugh!

I have lived in Adelaide since 1971, and to be honest, I had never really heard talk of a "North-South", one is better than the other, type talk, until I happened upon the 'Pom' websites. I really think it is in the mind of the Brits, and I'm not sure why. Is there a thing about whether you live North or South in Britain?

I

I totally agree. My Australian husband finds it all quite strange that British migrants on this site have such heated North v South debates. If anything it used to be an Eastern suburbs v Western suburbs thing.

Maybe it's because the northern and southern suburbs are the cheapest places to settle, with more new housing estates where you can build your "dream" home. I think it all depends on a) where you will be working and b) whether you want to live in the countryside, or in a newer housing estate type environment or in an older more metropolitan environment. You have to get here and look around and see for yourself what you like.

Guest Guest75
Are you picking a fight over wine tena tyke??:biglaugh:

Ouch! not that one again............ If I had feelings they would be hurt!!:biglaugh:

Making it "Hard" again??

(Sorry to those not in the know - just some Facebook banter - everyone picks on me!!):cute::chatterbox:

Guest katsmajic

I live in the south and love it - not impressed to be called feral!

My jobs been very mobile and ive seen all the glorious areas of adelaide/SA - and i for 1 really would not live up north as it doesnt meet my expectations of quality of life - mmm bars on my windows??? i think not.

there are alot of nice areas up there i admit but i dont go calling you northerners names - the mass murderers are all from up that way too...nice neighbourhoods...:biglaugh:

and yes it is just the miserable whinging poms with nothing better to do that create these stupid north south issues!

All areas have good n bad - i go to collenades and its interesting - ive seen far more quality sights in northern mall's though.

OOOO I love these threads where everyone comes out and slags off the other just cos 1 lives North and the other lives South:biglaugh::biglaugh:.

I love them both but our jobs and great school is up north so we live North but love to go to the South and look at ferals.

My jobs been very mobile and ive seen all the glorious areas of adelaide/SA - and i for 1 really would not live up north as it doesnt meet my expectations of quality of life - mmm bars on my windows??? i think not.

there are alot of nice areas up there i admit but i dont go calling you northerners names - the mass murderers are all from up that way too...nice neighbourhoods...:biglaugh:

and yes it is just the miserable whinging poms with nothing better to do that create these stupid north south issues!

All areas have good n bad - i go to collenades and its interesting - ive seen far more quality sights in northern mall's though.

LOL Keep it nice please everyone - I'm sure Tina's comments weren't directed at you personally :D

Just like in England there are good and bad areas all over Adelaide - and as I said, it really comes down to your priorities. Some of the shopping malls both north and south are a little feral - and we even found a road the other day called Bogan Road which made us laugh (it even had a bottlo down it!)

Certainly don't have bars on our windows or mass murderers living next door in my bit of the north, and I'm sure there are no ferals in your bit of the south! But not all of Adelaide is utopia and yes, there is dog poo on some of the beaches, graffiti on some of the fences, and people that shoplift in some of the malls! Elizabeth only got its bad rep due to the number of blue collar brits that moved to there in the past - who's to say Aldinga and Hallet Cove won't have the same rep in 10 or 20 years time? Or maybe they'll be the Burnsides of the future? Crystal balls we don't have....

The main thing is for people that haven't been here yet to keep an open mind about all areas, and for people who are already here to keep a sense of perspective and sense of humour about what is, after all, just a bit of banter!!

Diane

HAHAHAHA Lol @ feral I was having some fun and it was meant as a joke but as always someone somewhere has to taken it to heart. As for the bars I dont have any on my windows but maybe some have it to keep nosey people out was going to add a joke about keeping the southys out but the linch mob might start dusting off their hanging ropes:biglaugh:.

Murders are everywhere in every state in every country as are drug dealers, robbers and anyone else who wants to make a quick buck off some poor soul. As for sights in the northern shopping centre couldn't agree more if your not out the centre by midday god help you!!!!!:shocked:

Guest WhatNow?
Dont go there Diane he has Blowhole beach and whale watching (we have whale watching too but mainly in the shopping centres!!) on his side we aint ever gunna beat that!!!:notworthy:

I was watching a Southern Right about 300m off the beach at Grange last week...