Amywinehouse dead

ian mc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest katsmajic

She lived and died by her choices, and had plenty of opportunity and help to escape from the vicious circle she created for herself and glorified, made look glamerous to our kids etc.

AND having had kids that have gone wayward YES HG and i can comment with justifcation - she was a waste of air and energy - ok, sad for her parents, but theyve known for a very long time she was a dead girl walking! Sorry but i'd be locking my child up, getting them certified mentally ill, ANYTHING to save their life! a very long time ago in Amys circumstances!

The BBC ran an interesting article on what addiction is and how to understand it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14273938

I'd think having read it, those that smoke (or used to smoke) may find something to relate to. I know I did. When it said about how terrible that first ciggy can taste, how it makes people feel ill, how they say never again, well, I know I smoked a second, a third and a whole heap more after that. I quit 10 years ago and have not had one since, nor do I wish to. But it was an addiction and I can understand how drug use or alcohol dependancy could result from that first try of something.

Russell Brand wrote a piece for the Guardian. I found it a worthwhile read, more so for the fact it was written by Brand, himself an addict who has been able to come out the other side.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/24/russell-brand-amy-winehouse-woman

I think its a shame she has been judged all over the internet in death before the results of her post mortem and any other police findings or investigations are finished. I am waiting to hear the medical findings. I believe addiction is a real illness and not everyone is able to fight it and come out the other side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14273953

forgive me if i don't have any sympathy for the smack head with the illness that robbed my house stole my car and sold my daughters bike.

Sure I feel sorry for her parents as I have a daughter myself but she was old enough and big enough to know what she was taking was wrong and dangerous.

FWIW in this thread, I read lots, have worked with drug users in the past and find it interesting that addiction is considered an illness, how it might happen and why (peer pressure, even if not intentional or for acceptance reasons or some such can play a big part) and a shame that people in this day of internet and instant news are so judgemental without knowing all the facts. Speculation is rife as it can often be when having a conversation with a person in real life, just when its posted online it makes it so much more permanent.

Am I mistaken to hope for a decent discussion (if anyone wishes to discuss) rather than a lynch mob or snap judgement opinion as so often happens on forums. I know it can happen as I've been part of some insightful, intelligent conversations on forums. Drug addiction could happen to someone you know (its happened to people I know) and having some kind of insight into what might cause them to spiral down into it could possibly help you spot the warning signs early on or understand its not always so cut and dried as it might seem to you if you've not ever been in that situation. Addictions have many forms, not only drugs. Anything you take on board and store away in your memory could one day be a vital thing to help someone you care about be they suffering an eating disorder, a drink problem, an addiction to online gaming or a gambling habit racking up debts. Any of those and many others can cause a person huge problems we can't always comprehend.

Guest katsmajic

My ex husband was an alcoholic! I dont need to read articles by other addicts - ive lived in the nightmare thank you very much.....maybe thats why im so harsh but honest!

Well for those who've not, perhaps reading something about addiction (I linked to other things fwiw, not just what Brand wrote) might be beneficial should they ever find themselves faced with someone they care about becoming addicted to something. It has to start somewhere, somehow. Its not only about an addiction once its formed or suffering because of a persons actions, choices or whatever else name people give these deeds. Its about awareness that its a real thing and could potentially happen to anyone for any number of reasons. Understanding how it can happen might help people spot the warning signs. That bit of time could make a difference to a habit or addiction spiralling out of control or people being hurt. Of course there is no guarantee of anything working, but at least people might be better informed and able to make choices of their own if they need to.

Guest Guest75

Have to agree,addictions are terrinble things.

I'm having terrible withdrawal sysmptoms while the favourite person in my life is away on holiday :arghh::arghh:

At least I get to "catch up" on the other one if the weather is good. :cute:

<is this the right time to duck to avoid a thwack around the back of the head?>:idea:

Guest Nick11

Good grief Tyke..here we are having a grown up discussion with lots of different viewpoints....a very interesting one too for a change and you wade in with this!!!! Hope she's back soon xxx

Guest Guest75
Good grief Tyke..here we are having a grown up discussion with lots of different viewpoints....a very interesting one too for a change and you wade in with this!!!! Hope she's back soon xxx

Best get this in before I get told off.

It's serious to me!!!

2 more weeks to go and Mrs T returns. She originally went to see her rellies for 3 weeks,wanted to stay a bit longer but the only flight change I could make means a 7 week visit!!

The dogs are winning the arguments with the hermit of Onkapringa Hills!!!!!:wacko::wacko::goofy::goofy:

Guest Guest75
Hope she put extra in the freezer for ya!!!

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's taking some plundering now..........

You saw the pic of one of my meals on FB?? Baked beans do go with Kievs :wink:

Guest loopylisa

Snifter, it seems you were left hanging in terms of the intelligent debate. So I will avail you. People are seeming to band around this notion of 'choices' like that is all there is too it. I will offer my psychologist in the making perspective. Choices are decisions which are made under all the available information we have to us. Our early experiences can alter the way we view the world and our sense of agency and thus affect the way we make decisions. We might not interpret consequences in the same way as other. Taking a more organic perspective here, its entirely plausible that damage to specific decision making parts of an individuals brain can occur as a consequences of many years of alcohol/drug abuse. And lguess what loopy found using google scholar, articles showing exactly this, an area called the ventromedial prefrontal cortex(which is highly liked to our ability to understand social CONSEQUENCES of our decision) is damaged in those with alcohol and stimulant abuse. She had a 'choice' did she... I dont think so!!!

Guest loopylisa

I was referring to the choices she made once she became an addict. But in reference to the choices she made before she became an addict, she could not have possibly known the way she would react. Some individuals have a propensity to addiction which is not known to them. No individual doesnt experiment with drinking just incase they might get addicted.

Guest Guest5035

I realise that, but sniffing/injecting is different. I see they are waiting toxicology reports to see WHICH drug killed her!! I wonder where her parents/family were, this didn't happen overnight did it, she had the problem for a few years. They should have taken her aside.

Stevo

Guest loopylisa

Im sure they did more than take her aside. As I think was stated earlier sometimes all the love in the world wont make a difference. Choices or no choices its sad, especially if as the media reports she was trying to turn her life around.

Guest mark&rachel

Its hard as an 'addicts parent'. Taking them aside isnt an option when they are an addict cos they dont listen. Thats the part in being an addict. Things make sense but the drug / alcohol speaks.

You cant really blame anyone but wino on this one.

Someone dying is always sad but it's hard to feel sympathy for someone that could of done anything she wanted and instead ended up a junkie. Drugs are a terrible thing and their are all sorts of consequences from the addicts themselves to the crime that these addicts make to feed there habits and through to the broken families. I would feel more sympathy to a junkie that was homeless and come from a broken home and had nothing to start with or nothing to live for, that is tragic as we are all born into circumstances beyond our control. Someone who had the chances and money to make a difference and chose to end up like this is a waste. I guess this is why sympathy is short comming.

The other way of looking at is is that drug addiction is so great, so all consuming that even with all the money in the world, it can't always save a person or help them.

Parents, family, friends, its incredible how much they can do, want to help, try to help, but it might still not be enough. Drug addiction (or other addictions) can be so life consuming that nothing can ultimately reach a person, no matter how much they might wish it to.

Also, sectioning people isn't a cure. A person can only be held for a limited amount of time in this way and then they usually have to be released, even if its known they will probably go back out and repeat the same events over. The mental health act is not a cure for drug addiction. Nor is cold turkey. Fighting to overcome an addiction can be a lifelong thing, with the chances of falling off the wagon so to speak possible every day you live. Be it drinking, smoking, gambling, drugs (legal or illegal), eating disorders, just because someone is clean for a few weeks, a few months, or is eating well after years of not eating hardly at all, doesn't mean they are magically 'cured' and are fine. Its a very fine line and a constant battle for many. And many suffer a relapse and go back to their former habits. Some spend years yo-yoing (think of many dieters for example) and things like a big drink or drug binge after being clean for a while can have drastic consequences.

That's the beauty of the human race, loads of different opinions, views, and ideas and none are right or wrong. That's why we all have different points of views and no single persons view carries more weight then another persons view. For the people who sympathise in a way I wish that I could be the same but life's to short. I see the bottom line and to me it's just a waste of someone that should of been with all of her resources be able to get of it. In my opinion there are more worthwhile causes, disasters, and victims to show my sympathy for. Like I said at the beginning though any death is a sad one.