References for rentals

Guest markandcate

Guest markandcate

We will be arriving in Adelaide on 16th September and have a short term let for 6 weeks so will be looking for a long term rental straight away. Just wondered what kind of references we will need as we own our house here so haven't got a landlord 2 get one from.

Can anyone help?

Ta

Cate

Guest willow1234

hi there, hope this helps , what we did was take photos of our property so people can see how you keep the property and also we got letters of neighbours saying what kind of neighbours we have been....

Guest The Dimmocks

We didnt have any references and we got offered two rentals within an hour of each other. I know people have them and use them but just letting you know you dont need them as a rule.

I know like other PIA members on this site that I get called for a reference from real estate agents. If you have a short term rental then there is a lot of info we can say - like you were prompt with your payments, you paid up front, you communicated well and you looked after the place while you were there. It does make a difference. it's really what agents want to hear and sometimes while some agents may not be pushy about the reference they usually like to say to the "owner" of the property that they did get a reference. Have a chat to your short term rental owner, I am sure they have done it all before and won't mind.

We had a little personal statement about ourselves and included a picture of us to get our last rental. Just depends on the agent what they want. When we came to view this one she practically told us to do that and glad we did.

Think photos really help make it a more personal and could swing it if there are 2 or 3 people competing for the same rental.

Good luck..

Guest Richie_T

I signed my lease yesterday- they asked for previous address reference, but I told them I only arrived a few weeks ago and owned my own house so didnt have any. They were OK with employer reference, but ultimately they called the house owner who gave them the go ahead.

Depends on the agent and owner I guess. I did bring previous utility bills just in case but they never asked for those.