Guest edenfieldpoms

Children's fixed braces

Guest edenfieldpoms

Hi, my daughter is soon to have fitted fixed braces, I just wondered how we go about carrying on with her treatment when we get to OZ.

Do we get treatment via Medicare, school dentist or do we just get private health cover?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we have waited along time for these braces

Ta

April

Guest guest3462

You will have to get private insurance as dentistry is extremely expensive here! you have to claim under orthodontic cover rather than major dental. As far as we can work out (we will need full cover for orthodontics for our daughter) you can only claim up to $4000 total amount so there will still be a substantial gap to pay if treatment is ongoing or you have more kids for braces. Mutual community are offering free general dental care for kids to the age of 25 and are waiving claim waiting period. Have a look at the main ones online so you know how much you'll be paying each month. We will pay around $260 a month for basic hospital cover and top extras with medibank, mutual was more like $290

when we arrived here our teenager had fixed braces which were fitted in UK, we were given orthodontics details from the school dentist,

we had them adjusted and then replaced in the City which cost around $500.

I think as long as you get them fitted in uk it should be cheaper.

Guest Nick11

Be aware though that most health care providers have a years waiting time on orthodontics. They pay out only $700 dollars a year on mutual...on our policy- which is silver cover we have $2000 limit. We have hospital cover which means they have free dental up to the age of 25..but this doesn't include orthodontics. We pay $195 a month for hospital and extras cover.

All Dentistry here is amazingly expensive in my Families experience.Get what you need done before coming here if at all possible.Best Luck.