Guest Rob and Clare

Fancy a curry.

Guest Rob and Clare

Most people may know of it and some people may not like indian food, but if you have a pining for a british curry, there is a place on goodward road, called the 'Balti House'.

Been there this evening for a meal, and it is by far and away the best indian in Adelaide, from popadoms we all know, with chutney and mint sauce, and of course a british balti. Bloke who owns it is from walsall and the chefs from the north of england. It's not fancy so no need to dress up.

PM me if you want to know anymore details, may even be able to scan the menu...

Rob

Guest wendyw

We have been in Adelaide for 4 months and are longing for a curry. Will definitely give it a try.:D

Guest Rob and Clare

Sorry, it's Goodwood Road. Hopefully you noticed my deliberate mistake

Guest salisbury massive

We are regulars there now as a takeaway involves an hour and a half round trip. Shame he's not open in the day so I can't even drive over and stock the freezer up, one for now, one for later. Hee Hee

Alam is a great bloke, even the tandoori oven came from England.

Can't rate it highly enough.

jo

Guest wayneandlindsey

Heh,

Well thats a relief, we have been having major curry withdrawal symptoms!

Cheers

Wayne and Lindsey

Guest Rob and Clare

I only wished it was located nearer home, so after a night out we could go back and have a curry. Have to start doing what Jo said, and buy one for the freezer. Ha Ha....

Guest Tina

Hi Rob & Clare

has this curry night been eaten and enjoyed yet, if not let us now the arrangements.

i have pm'd you my mobile

Guest Rov

Tandoori Chicken Kebabs for the curry deprived

I served this to some ex-pat guests and they declared it "the same as takeaway".

Ingredients: serves 2/3

1 Jar Mrs Pataks Tandoori Paste

1 Jar Mrs Pataks Egglplant pickle

Lemon Juice

yoghurt

Black pepper

Tomato

2/3 Chicken Breasts

Pack of Taj Roti Co, Chappati

Cut the chicken breast into about 1" cubes. Place chicken in large bowl, add a tablespoon of Mrs Pataks Tandoori paste (place jar in fridge after opening), 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, a little lemon juice and a sprinkle of black pepper. Mix thoroughly. Leave to marinate in the fridge for a few hours or if desperate,

dont bother to marinate.

On 4 metal skewers evenly space the chicken, then grill, turning once- careful they dont burn.

Place under the grill, 2 chappatis at at time, but watch carefully as they bubble up and burn easily, turn once. Remove.

Place in a line, in the middle of the chappatis, the chicken, a few slices of tomato, a drizzle of yoghurt and a drizzle of Mrs Pataks eggplant pickle (excellent pickle but optional). Wrap.

Imagine you are surrounded by flock wallpaper and a few drunks from the local pub and hey presto you are back in your favourite Tandoori (well, almost).

Guest Blackcat

Hi there

Just wondered do they do take aways there or do you have to eat in?

Guest Rob and Clare

I served this to some ex-pat guests and they declared it "the same as takeaway".

Lemon Juice

Kangaroo Island sheep's yoghurt

Black pepper

Tomato

2/3 Chicken Breasts

Cut the chicken breast into about 1" cubes. Place chicken in large bowl, add a tablespoon of Mrs Pataks Tandoori paste (place jar in fridge after opening), 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, a little lemon juice and a sprinkle of black pepper. Mix thoroughly. Leave to marinate in the fridge for a few hours or if desperate,

dont bother to marinate.

On 4 metal skewers evenly space the chicken, then grill, turning once- careful they dont burn.

Place under the grill, 2 chappatis at at time, but watch carefully as they bubble up and burn easily, turn once. Remove.

Place in a line, in the middle of the chappatis, the chicken, a few slices of tomato, a drizzle of yoghurt and a drizzle of Mrs Pataks eggplant pickle (excellent pickle but optional). Wrap.

Imagine you are surrounded by flock wallpaper and a few drunks from the local pub and hey presto you are back in your favourite Tandoori (well, almost).

Sounds really nice.... Have to try and get some indian music to go with it too....

Guest Rob and Clare
    Hi there

Just wondered do they do take aways there or do you have to eat in?

Yeah, they do takeaways too....

Guest ozzie

hi rob and clare, just found u on the pom site , had goodnight last night, nice meeting u both

maureen & mark

Guest Keel

The Ruby Raj at Tea Tree Gully is BEAUTIFUL and it's right next to an English pub if you feel home sick

Guest kat

wow can you give me full address of the indian please mate? kat x

Thanks for the info, me and my oh were just saying yesterday how much we would love a good curry......so we will be going at the weekend to give it a try.

many thanks

Guest izzy

i agree with you rob

,we are real northern curry die hard fans , we found the balti house on goodwood road six months ago and have neverlooked back you got to give it a try you will not be disappointed

its not fancy you definatly dont need to dress up and they do take away and the owner is from the north of england and really friendly

Guest smit
    i agree with you rob

,we are real northern curry die hard fans , we found the balti house on goodwood road six months ago and have neverlooked back you got to give it a try you will not be disappointed

its not fancy you definatly dont need to dress up and they do take away and the owner is from the north of england and really friendly

What is a northern curry?

curry cooked by english northerners of indian or pakistani background. They developed the one pot curries called baltis cos they were working hard and didn't have the time to cook the traditional way.

Guest anniewo

Nice take away on Marion Rd,Ascot Park, next to the Ginling Chinese. Raj I think it is called. They are a bit chaotic and unorganised but lovely Naans and Pakora.

BTW Ginling is great for Chinese, lots of Chinese dine there and they have good Banquet deals.

Guest Martin and Val
    The Ruby Raj at Tea Tree Gully is BEAUTIFUL and it's right next to an English pub if you feel home sick

Do you know the name of the Pub and where is Tea Tree Gully? 13_4_10.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNxdm824YYGB

The Balti house is an absolute winner in my book - we went for a meal a few weeks ago and do you know what I could have been in Bradford - It was fab, infact my mouth is watering just thinking about it -HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Lindsey

Yes the chicken omelette fromGinling Chinese as mentioned by Anniewo is tasty, good takeaway. There is a new chinese that has opened on the end on Wheaton st, it's not bad either and lots of chinese eat there too.

Anniewo have you tried Chapatti House 2 in that little shopping centre on South Rd just before the overpass. It doesn't look much, orange vinyl chair style, but the food is epic. My daughter's Indian food says that the butter chicken is really good.

Guest anniewo

Hi, I tried the Shanghai and thought it was awful, won't go back, very bland. My OH went to the Chapati House 2 says he thought it was all just bought in and reheated.Didn't taste bad. Best value for money is Wongs on Winston Ave, Daw Park, $31 for a super family pack, 2starters, 3 mains, rice and a fired noodle and a bag of prawn chips. Good mix of Thai, Malaysian and Indian.

Guest fuji70

Lemon Juice

yoghurt

Black pepper

Tomato

2/3 Chicken Breasts

dont bother to marinate.

YOU CAN GET PATAKS IN ADELAIDE??!! HALLELUJAH, I'M SAVED!!:notworthy:

And if there's a decent Balti house too....so much the better. I hope to move to Adelaide from Leicester in the next 6 months......thought I was gonna have to go cold turkey on the curry. :D