uk plugs to ozzy plugs

JimandBarbinAus

That's probably true about the insurance, as far as I am aware it is not legal officially to change plugs or do electric stuff yourself....

We have simply used adaptors on all our appliances, and then as and when we get new appliances (or in the case of the Dyson, when we got it fixed) the plugs are gradually changing. You just have to make sure you use the correct adaptors for earthed appliances - there are 2 kinds of adaptors, so some appliances are ok with a standard one, others (like w/mach, kettle, computer / TV etc) need the better adaptors.

Guest FRIDGEMAN

Adaptors are cheaper than the plugs , good old ebay . Arr good point , you dont have to change your e bay acount , just your delivery adress and bank details . Happy shoping

Guest Barney Rubble
Easy if you can change a UK plug you can change over to a OZ one.About $3 each plug. bring a couple of power boards with you can plug UK items in without changing plugs over and can change them over at your leisure

Ian Mc has got it right (I'm sure we know each other !)

Bring 2, 4-way power boards and change the plug on that in the first few days and all will be cushty.

You can change your plugs for about $3-4 each but as posted earlier, go into a wholesaler and tell them it is a cash sale.

We have 10-amp plugs which are the normal ones but they can be top entry (http://www.clipsal.com/trade/__data/page/81/A124.pdf) or side entry.

90% of the time top entry is the best and the side entry are a little slimmer.

I would disagree with SallyH but not entirely.

All electrical works are to be certified by a licenced electrican but that is for installations, home handyman stuff, like changing plugs is ok, installing power points is not.

Beats the crap out of me why hardware stores are allowed to sell the gear TBH but no different to the UK.

As for using adaptors i would use them as a last resort, Ian Mc has the best idea.

Puting one of these on a washing machine that is plumbed to cold water only will mean the adaptor will need to handle the whole 10-amps during the heating cycle of the program, may be ok but not for me to give it the thumbs up. For $3-4 and 10 minutes of your time, i'd be changing them.

These adaptors are generally made in China and not rated for continuous use.

Insurance wise i think that is going back to installation works they are talking about.

I have worked with the OTR (Office of the Technical Regulator - electrical police sort of) and also write reports / audits for clients on electrical matters.

When you get here drop me a pm and i'll give you a free lesson !

Cheers

BR

That's probably true about the insurance, as far as I am aware it is not legal officially to change plugs or do electric stuff yourself....

We have simply used adaptors on all our appliances, and then as and when we get new appliances (or in the case of the Dyson, when we got it fixed) the plugs are gradually changing. You just have to make sure you use the correct adaptors for earthed appliances - there are 2 kinds of adaptors, so some appliances are ok with a standard one, others (like w/mach, kettle, computer / TV etc) need the better adaptors.

When you say 'the better adapters' what kind of description would these come under????? Thats good news no insurance needed but not sure if I could do the plugs, wonder how much a leccy would cost?

Hi BR,

What about light fittings, we are moving into our new home next week and I want to put in a few new light fittings (ceiling ones) my hubby can does this but he's not an electrican ! Is this classed home DIY ?

Thanks

Tina