New here and need advice

Guest katemckay

Guest katemckay

Hi Everyone I have been reading on here and PIO for a while and thought I would say hi and introduce myself. My name is kate, I'm 38 and work for the Scottish Bowel Cancer Screening Programme as a laboratory supervisor and have been there 6 years. My hubbie is Kev, 42, a binman for 20 years. We have 5 kids age 17, 15, 14, 11 and 8 months. We have been seriously considering moving to SA for some time now and have spent lots of time researching jobs, schools etc. It all seems very appealling but I need a doze of reality so to speak. What's the chances of hubbie finding work? He doesn't have qualifications and would prefer to do something manual but he's not fussed what. Its the kids that concern me the most. Probably because of there ages, there almost at the age where they will be leaving school. How does college work over there? What about school? My 15 year old wants to teach and has her heart set on uni. My 14 year old wants to get into engineering and my 17 year old is away to start college here. Has anyone got any advice they can offer? Kate

Hi Everyone I have been reading on here and PIO for a while and thought I would say hi and introduce myself. My name is kate, I'm 38 and work for the Scottish Bowel Cancer Screening Programme as a laboratory supervisor and have been there 6 years. My hubbie is Kev, 42, a binman for 20 years. We have 5 kids age 17, 15, 14, 11 and 8 months. We have been seriously considering moving to SA for some time now and have spent lots of time researching jobs, schools etc. It all seems very appealling but I need a doze of reality so to speak. What's the chances of hubbie finding work? He doesn't have qualifications and would prefer to do something manual but he's not fussed what. Its the kids that concern me the most. Probably because of there ages, there almost at the age where they will be leaving school. How does college work over there? What about school? My 15 year old wants to teach and has her heart set on uni. My 14 year old wants to get into engineering and my 17 year old is away to start college here. Has anyone got any advice they can offer? Kate

Hi and welcome,

not really any help for jobs, but have you looked at getting a visa?

We've been here for two and a half years and it has definitely been the right thing for us.

Cooler

Hi and welcome also,

Best decision for us was coming here also,

Regarding work there is a few employment web sites.to look at, seek, career one to name a couple, or try and make contact with local gov, hospitals etc.. And see if you here anything back,

Have you been on the immi.gov.com.au, there's a welth of information on there as there is on the SA website, it's worth doing the visa wizard on there,that way then you will know what visa you could apply on, then find out what qualifying body you will require to get your qualifications evaluated on, that's where we started anyway, then heaps of research,lists and the rest of the fun parts

All the best

Hi guys, we have been looking into emigrating since cming back from visiting family in 2008. The idea has been on then off then on off and now we have finally decided to go for it!! We were going to do it alone as I am a fully qualified painter and decorator I started by gathering evidence to apply through the TRA but now we have decided to use a migration agent. I filled in the initial application and a MARA consultant should be contacting us by tuesday. So very exciting stuff!! Even though Im qualified as a painter and decorator and my wife is a Teaching assisstant we are not going to work in them exact trades as we are willing to do anything! Good luck and go for it! We have 3 children all in fantastic schools here but like they say life is about the journey!!

Guest katemckay

Thanks for your responses. We qualify for a 176 visa and i have looked at the various job websites and yes there is work there. Like i said my main concern is the kids. I suppose they'll be fine. I think i started to look for potential problems because it all seemed too good to be true lol.

Kate

It may be good to have a read or post about education in the education section. We have a few people here who can help and offer advice on the system and so on. Also over on PIO has a few, but each state varies and what applies in QLD might be different to SA.

I think if you children are due to sit exams any time soon it might be worth investigating if its a good time to pull them out of the UK system or not. I can't advise either way as my son is not of that age yet. Also often some teenagers can be reluctant to move overseas and part from friends and social stuff. Are all your older kids on board with a move?

And what appeals to you about Adelaide? As a family I mean. Some people find it a little quiet and prefer a more busy lifestyle, but others like it a bit quieter. I think often it can depend on what kind of life you have/had in the UK and if you want to make big changes to that or not.

Thanks for your responses. We qualify for a 176 visa and i have looked at the various job websites and yes there is work there. Like i said my main concern is the kids. I suppose they'll be fine. I think i started to look for potential problems because it all seemed too good to be true lol.

Kate

Hi,

you may qualify now for a visa, but the system has been under a lot of changes and each time they say it will be stable. If you are keen to come, apply now and then you can always change your mind after. The cost of the visa etc is minimal compared to the rest of the move etc.

How long does your 17 year old have left at school? By the time you apply and get your visa, it could be quite a while - I don't know the waiting times, sorry (someone else maybe able to help). You can certainly convert A-levels and other qualifications - worth checking withs schools, SACE Board, Tafe and Universities, here.

Gotta go and walk the dog on the beach,

Cooler