Long term car rental

Guest misschief3003

Guest misschief3003

Hi there. Does anyone know anyone that does cheap long term car rental. We car afford to buy straight away as all money goin on the relocation, we are going to either buy a cheap second hand car or get a month or two of rental. Anyone know anyone good and cheap?

Defo agree with above post. Money was tight for us when we arrived - we both needed a car , and we managed to buy two decent cars for $5k......a ford KA and a Pyzer (kids refused to get in that one, but petrol consumption was good!)

Renting cars is so expensive - there are alot of private sales and many put their cars on the side of roads to sell - so it shouldnt be a problem getting a cheap run a round.

Sarahx

Guest misschief3003

Hi thanks for that. I'm a sales manager and was expecting a company car in my package but aren't getting one now so thiinkinh of we get cheap runaround then maybe rent till we save for a nicer one. Is it also true you can't get car finance till your a perm resident. Thanks thunder road got your pm x

No worries. To answer your question. You can get car finance on a temp visa, however the duration of the finance can not exceed your visa end date. For example, if your on a 2 year 457 visa, the car finance will be financed over that period. However, within that time, your visa and circumstances may change to a more long term arrangement and your arranged finance may be restructured.

In our experience not all dealerships will give finance as they see new arrivals as a risk due to no credit history. You may also need a deposit of around 5%

Guest misschief3003

Ah thanks for that, that's great info. We are on a 4 yr 457 so that's good to know. This site is bloody brilliant. The amount of things people have told me have been fab, I really can't thank you all enough. No doubt I'll have a million more questions. Now in the process of finding the cheapest shipping company to get my gear over xx

Hi, we hired a car from www.aussiecarrentals.com.au nice bloke, we hired a car for first 3 months and got a super deal. In the longer term though it's false economy, so we went out and got a cheap runner. Be warned though, they really do use their cars till they die here. I've read the average ownership time for a car in SA is nine years. So basicly they buy them new or near new, then loose them just as their dying. If you know a bit about cars it will help you. We recently viewed 10 private sale cars before we found one with no problems for my OH. Still it gets you out and about.

Guest misschief3003

Hiya. Thanks for that, thats great to know. I don't want to rent for too long as your right it's false economy but it's a means to and end I spose. Thanks for the info :) x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest duggy281
Thanks hun

Hi Misschief.

I agree with vikkiann Mick at Md autos is great picked us and all our luggage up from airport, had a car ready at the house with car seats for the kids,looked round some cars we where thinking of buying (for free) and all for a cheap price really really good honest guy.

pm me and i have his mobile number and email address.

good luck with the move

The Dugdales

ps tell mick i put you on to him :smile:

If you get a long term rental the excess insurance can be a real whatsit. I have posted this in another thread but travel insurance for the period you have the rental vehicle is much cheaper. I am in Darwin at the moment and renting a car for two and possibly four weeks (I'm working here) so I got a rental through Vroom Vroom and the insurance through the company linked on their website. I've used Vroom Vroom several times and had absolutely no problems.

http://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au/

• 1 year later...