Mother & Baby swimming?

JoRed4

Just accepted a lease on a house in Glenelg; we'll be moving in next month, I have an 8 month old baby girl & I'd like for her to be a strong swimmer especially with us living here in sunny Oz. Does anyone know of any mom & baby swimming sessions in or near Glenelg.

Cheers :)

Ask around but I was also interested in that, and a friend who had done it said that it doesn't make any difference to their swimming ability. You have to go every week, you can't take a break, and when you do, it's as if you'd never done any of it. State Swim do mother and baby swimming -looks good to me (this is why I spoke to a friend about it) but basically you have to consider it to be the kind of "in water" equivalent of any mother and baby group you might go to. ie, nice thing to do, but isn't really going to change the world!!!

I sat at state swim watching my children in a lesson and an instructor sat next to me watching her daughter. I mentioned the baby class to her, and what my friend had said. To be honest, she pretty much agreed with me.

So I was a bit disappointed (also wanting the same for my children as you, and feeling like the only mother of a 9YO who isn't a competent swimmer!) but that is what I have been told.

It doesn't mean you can't find some great classes and enjoy them. Just make sure you know why you are doing it and be realistic about the outcome.

I'd agree entirely with Sallyh. I took my oldest to mother and baby / toddler swimming lessons for years but didn't take my youngest to any. I'd say they didn't make the slightest bit of difference to either childs swimming ability. I've actually noticed that kids that start lessons slightly older seem to do better, probably because they have better concentration, listen to the instructor and can understand what they are being asked better. By all means go to lessons for the social aspect but don't do it hoping it's going to make your little girl learn to swim any faster. Alternatively just take your daughter to the pool and have fun together just splashing around.

Nicola

Guest rachinadelaide

We live at West Lakes at take our 7 month old to Goodlife, Royal Park. It's about $11 per class and it's good fun - they get them going under water and splashing around to nursery rhymes. I think there is a GoodLife at Glenelg.

Guest rachinadelaide

PS - is this Jo and bub who are staying in our apartment at the mo.....? If so, congrats on the house finding (if not congrats anyway!!).