Been here 1 week !!!

Guest thebeans

Guest thebeans

Hi All, my wife 6 month old daughter & myself arrived on a permant visa a week ago from near Manchester. We were met at the airport by my new boss and his wife, they took us for a lovely breakfast at Grange jetty, then took us to the workshop where they lent me a Ute till i get a car sorted & even lent me a company phone, then they have kind of left us alone to discover Adelaide. We are just about getting over the jet lag now and i don't start my job for a couple of weeks so was after some advice on things to see and do as a family with a baby & things that need to be done i.e Medicare etc, we have done a small bit of sightseeing mainly falling upon somewhere while we try to find a car, what we have seen is very nice and we can see ourselves settling here & hopefully are daughter won't hate us when she grows up for dragging her to the other side of the world, hopefully you guys on this great website will come up trumps with some great advice, thanks in advance Steve, Emma and baby Ella

Guest moonraker1959

I would'nt overdo it by doing too much for a while.You'll need some time to get your bearings ect.Places for easy drives include Cleland National Park,Victor Harbour,The Barossa,various suburban beaches and so on.Don't expect places to be particularly buzzing either,you're still in winter!I would probably concentrate on doing the little jobs,tfn,medicare,drivers license and so on.Good luck with the new job,hope it works out well for yah!

Aw it was great to read this we arrive in 3 weeks on a permanent visa and we are also from the north west, my husband has a job but doesn't start till 24th sept so. Have got a few weeks to get our bearings" we also have a little girl to we are thinking the flight is gonna be interesting! Good luck, dawn rick and Lola

Good luck to you both, we arriving Tuesday 14th August, not to sure where we are going to live, but getting very excited....x

Hi most prob see you at airport when you land..i work as ground crew maintenance for virgin.

I remember arriving that early 4.5yrs ago suit cases in hand with family in tow and standing outside the terminal and thinking...wow I'm in australia my new home!

Alex

Guest thebeans

Thanks for the advice Moonraker, we have done exactly that; sorted medicare, driving licences, tfn's and bought a car today...we are holding off doing a lot of the sightseeing until the weather warms up a little.

Mrs C - good luck with the flight our's was great for the first half as she slept through it but the 2nd was a bit more "testing" but all forgotten now we are here. Keep in touch and maybe be good to catch up when our hubbies are working (that is if you are not working too?).

Thanks Emma

Guest matelotchick

Good to hear lots of us are arriving here soon! My husband and I arrived today! Left Manchester Monday morning, arrived in Adelaide Wednesday at 8 am. Journey was long but Singapore airlines were great. Jet lag just starting to kick in so we'll leave it til tomorrow to start arranging things like tfns, Medicare etc and then do a bit of sightseeing.

OH starts new job on 27th August. I will be looking for a job at some stage but want to settle in first. We're in Ethelton for the first 3 months but would prefer the coast or city in the long-term. Love to meet up with any other newbies, plus any old-timers to help show us the ropes.

PS. It's proper chilly here at the moment, so bring a jumper/fleece!

Karen and John