Buying citizenship

sidestep

Quote:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2, bgcolor: #EEF0F1]Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple, would like to become an Australian citizen, The Australian Financial Review reported on Tuesday, citing the rollout of Australia's national broadband network as one of the reasons for the move. "It's one of the reasons why I actually like this country and want to become a citizen," the publication reported Wozniak as saying. "I live in a country where we don't have any regulation of telecommunications."[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Full report here

So, who here thinks it's ok for a 62 year old to buy himself Australian citizenship? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak

Personally I think it makes a mockery of the immigration process.

We don't actually know the details and the article doesn't give any. It just says he is underway to become an Australian citizen. We have no idea what this actually means, what steps he is taking, or if he will be granted Australian citizenship. If he is granted Australian citizenship without having to go through the normal procedure then we can become indignant and start complaining.

What about people like Leo Sayer did he meet imigration rules to get in and become a citizen

According to wiki Leo Sayer moved to Australia in 2005 and became a citizen in 2009, timescales seem perfectly in line to me. Of course I have no idea what visa he migrated to Australia on in the first place.

I was at a function in Melbourne last week that Steve W spoke at and someone asked him about this. He said he liked Aus, liked the NBN, but the citizenship story was down to a journalist with too much time on his hands.

Personally, if a guy like that wanted citizenship here, I wouldn't let rules get in the way of stopping him!

Jim