Double Glazing in Australia

Guest sithewindows

Guest sithewindows
Right , Ive answered one side Ill do the other. YES there is thermal break here, its new to the last 2/3 years really. Yes you can get aron/ krypton glass. Yes also to getting large panes of comfort plus and variations of coated laminated panes which you might not have in UK.

It is a very different market to UK and in fact , believe it or not.:), its a different country with different values and history.I know you are trying to gain information from the UK , but I would be hesitant to rebuff peoples comments even though you might not agree. You dont know until you are here. Im sure Stuart will tell you that.

I would read the information kindly posted and make your own mind up to what you think . As you can see , people have different views and opinions , Im not right or wrong, neither is the other poster , its just our opinion. I believe the other poster may be an architect or specifier. Ive been a fitter and a purchaser and project manager. Our experiences are differnt on the same prroduct.

Good luck anyway in whatever you do

Ian

Ps Glass is very very expensive here. I looked into buying sealed unit equipment here and setting up a small co. However to get the toughened glass needed in a hurry to provide a service at reasonable cost, you would have to go through Chevron or Viridian, the only makers of sealed units!!!.

If you get around this , there would be an opening

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to reply. In no way was I trying to upset anyone on here, just thought as it was Poms In there may be a view that they missed their quality double glazing. Admitedly its not all good here, even today. We remove more old uPVC than anything else, most is 15 - 20 years old and probably cost more then than the replacements we are fitting now! Anyway looks like I need to bring my Toughening Furnace with me then. Thanks to everyone for all the replies, they are interesting.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sithewindows
Yep I know nothing. But then we only specify top of the range fittings.

uPVC windows look terrible and have made UK housing estates new and old become an eyesore.

They have their place if your on a budget, but until you can thin down the frame profile, and give them an attractive finish - why would anyone with even a tiny sense of design want them?

I'm out. But before I go I do want to say that I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass or troll, I genuinely have a dislike for everything uPVC windows stand for and curse their invention. By no means am I saying the single glazed aluminium crap you get here is any better, but a decent, thermally broken (non continuous construction) frame with a double glazed unit that has been fitted properly (not by any of tradie) will perform as well if not better, and so much more aesthetically pleasing.

The other reason I asked is because aluminium windows in the UK cost about 3 times as much as uPVC where as in Aus they are probably more expensive. I agree a T/Break ally window in colour of your choice, with decent locks and sealed units would make more sence. I think its just we pay well over the top for ally, and uPVC is cheaper now than it was 20 years ago when I first started fabricating.

Guest Team 'W'
That was tongue in cheek by the way but I would like to find out just what a UPVC window would cost as i loved mine in the UK

My son is a glazier we have glass galore just no plastic frames !

easy done, drop me a line and I'll let you know

Stuart