Arrived 8th Jan 2013 - the verdict so far......

Guest Cornish Pasties

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi,

Don't want to be gulity of using this forum to get loads of priceless information before we arrived and then not using it afterwards!

So here's our verdict on Adelaide so far:-

Arrived early Jan in the height of summer and we were instantly made to feel very welcome by people we have met on here, various other forums & Aussies alike! Everyone is happy to say hello in the street & all with a smile..we have instantly fallen in love with Oz and its' inhabitants.

Summer has been a hectic schedule of BBQ's, beach meet up's, camping trips and for us - kayaking down the Onkaparinga river! Our tv just sums it up every time we turn it on ...LG..Life is Good :smile:

We have had the luxury of being able to settle in for a couple of months but now the holiday is over & we must start looking for work.....going to be tough fitting work into our hectic lifestyle lol.

I would just like to assure anyone who is about to make the move that if you love the great outdoors then it's the place to be! Do make the effort to accept as many invites as you can when you arrive..your friends soon become your family and you need the support network.

After 4 years of waiting for this dream to become a reality I was so worried that I had put Oz on so much of a pedestal that it would not live up to my expectations.....so I'm relieved to say that it has more than exceeded them!

Of course it's not Utopia - that would be Oz with my rellies/Uk best mates and us winning the lotto but it's pretty damned close.

Good luck to all those about to make the move

:biggrin:

Zoe

Guest Andynathall

Hi Zoe,

Just read your thread and really found it to be a good description of the place... I arrived here with my Gf in February from Manchester, looking to start a new life here..

I've currently found work and now got a platform for us the Gf will be looking.. Just wondering if you don't mind me asking how you found the visa, were both currently on a 417 with my job looking into becoming my sponsor.

hope your still enjoying yourselves.

andy and Nat

Guest Paula H

G'day

we have been here 6m yesterday and feel exactly the same. Sound like you live near us (kayaking down the onkaparinga river). If you want to meet up, PM me xx

Guest sithewindows

Sounds great, how do you have time to turn the LG TV on? That is the sort of life we are looking forward to with our two boys, its snowing again here, so no camping or kayaking for us this weekend! Do you think the work situation will change your view or are you confident in finding work?

Simon

Hi,

Don't want to be gulity of using this forum to get loads of priceless information before we arrived and then not using it afterwards!

So here's our verdict on Adelaide so far:-

Arrived early Jan in the height of summer and we were instantly made to feel very welcome by people we have met on here, various other forums & Aussies alike! Everyone is happy to say hello in the street & all with a smile..we have instantly fallen in love with Oz and its' inhabitants.

Summer has been a hectic schedule of BBQ's, beach meet up's, camping trips and for us - kayaking down the Onkaparinga river! Our tv just sums it up every time we turn it on ...LG..Life is Good :smile:

We have had the luxury of being able to settle in for a couple of months but now the holiday is over & we must start looking for work.....going to be tough fitting work into our hectic lifestyle lol.

I would just like to assure anyone who is about to make the move that if you love the great outdoors then it's the place to be! Do make the effort to accept as many invites as you can when you arrive..your friends soon become your family and you need the support network.

After 4 years of waiting for this dream to become a reality I was so worried that I had put Oz on so much of a pedestal that it would not live up to my expectations.....so I'm relieved to say that it has more than exceeded them!

Of course it's not Utopia - that would be Oz with my rellies/Uk best mates and us winning the lotto but it's pretty damned close.

Good luck to all those about to make the move

:biggrin:

Zoe

Guest dondon75

We have 6 weeks until we fly. It is all becoming very real now and we have two weeks until our stuff gets collected for shipping, we need to sort out insurance for shipping??

we hope that we have made the right decision. Our son 2 half years old loves the out doors so we hope to give him the best start in life,we believe that every thing happens for a reason and life is what you make it. We realise that things will not be handed to us and we need to put all our effort into making it work.

The positive post is the inspiration that I need right now as it is starting to get very scary but exciting too

• 3 weeks later...

This has been great to read we will be there in 4 weeks!! Although I wouldn't say I am nervous as yet, just looking forward to the new life we will have! There are some concerns of not having people we know around us so hoping we will adjust and make friends quickly!

It is a massive thing to be doing and this really has helped ease any slight doubts I may have had!

Great post Zoe. We feel exactly the same. Been here 8 weeks and LOVE LOVE LOVE it !!!! Kids have settled so well, made plenty of friends and are living school. Lifestyle here is a dream. Outside most of the time, kids allowed to be kids, perfect. Same for us, holiday over now need to find jobs. All the planning worrying, stress, chaos have been worth it. Definately living the dream and feel like the richest people in the world (without the money) .

Thanks for the post Zoe,

Really needed to read this as been telling people at work today as moving in less then 3 weeks and been getting:

Why are you going to Adelaide? Out door life style (All good at this point, happy for you etc :smile:)

So, who do you know in Adelaide? No one? (Strange look and then "ooohhhh" :skeptical:)

Have you got Family in Adelaide? No, No Family (Riiiggghhhhhttt??? :err:)

So what job have you got??? No Job, applied for shed loads with no luck so far (OOOOKKKKKKKK!!!! :embarressed:)

So your wife has a job right??? No, she has no job??? (Blank look!!! :huh:)

O.K Good Luck (And by this point I thinking and are we really doing all this!!! :unsure:)

Same questions about 20 times to day and lots more people to go.

Reading all these positive post I can't wait. Thank you for POMS in Adelaide to pick you up when you down.

Good luck with the job hunting and give up all the good contacts on here if you find any please.

Mark

Thanks for the post Zoe,

Really needed to read this as been telling people at work today as moving in less then 3 weeks and been getting:

Why are you going to Adelaide? Out door life style (All good at this point, happy for you etc :smile:)

So, who do you know in Adelaide? No one? (Strange look and then "ooohhhh" :skeptical:)

Have you got Family in Adelaide? No, No Family (Riiiggghhhhhttt??? :err:)

So what job have you got??? No Job, applied for shed loads with no luck so far (OOOOKKKKKKKK!!!! :embarressed:)

So your wife has a job right??? No, she has no job??? (Blank look!!! :huh:)

O.K Good Luck (And by this point I thinking and are we really doing all this!!! :unsure:)

Same questions about 20 times to day and lots more people to go.

Reading all these positive post I can't wait. Thank you for POMS in Adelaide to pick you up when you down.

Good luck with the job hunting and give up all the good contacts on here if you find any please.

Mark

Haha!

We were exactly the same - no jobs, knew no-one here and never been to Oz before - all we did know is that we didn't want to stay in the UK.

The first few months were hard work but we have made some great friends and thoroughly enjoy our Life!

Brace yourself for the ride of a lifetime!

Guest oztostay

Well done I think I might know you already am so pleased to hear a happy story.... we all love it hear too

well done to you all ....Fab story watch out for the crocodiles and snakes kayaking though stay safe :tongue:

We arrived in 2007 with our suitcases and a couple of holdalls basically just containing our clothes, a couple of towels and toiletries. We sold our flat and all its contents on the Friday as we left for Australia on the Monday, had no where to stay in Adelaide when we left the UK, no jobs to come to and did not know anyone. We had to start again from scratch but we came with the attitude that this was our new life and it would be a success. I had visited as a backpacker 10 years before we arrived, but my partner had never been to Australia until we migrated. I remember the first few nights sleeping with our towels on us to keep warm (long story but the place we were staying at did not provide bedding), until we could get to the shops to buy a few things.

There have been some ups and downs along the way (like most people), but I still believe Adelaide personally offers us a more pleasant way of life than we had in the UK. Adelaide has a lot to offer, but it is not for everyone, but as I always say your attitude and approach to starting a new life here goes a long way.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Hello Zoe, which part of cornwall do you come from? We are from Truro aged 55 and arrived in October and have been travelling up and down the East coast and have now decided to come back to Adelaide. Our 2 sons will be joining us within the year aged 25 and 20. We feel Aus has so much to offer and are looking forward to the next chapter in our lives.

Ann O' Hare

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Darjoe
I was in the hairdressers here in Adelaide this morning and she was asking me the same questions! People are never really sure what to say when you reply "because it's there and we can"

I love this response! I will have to remember it for when our questions start! We're right at the beginning - ielts next week- and very excited about our potential new life :-)

Guest guest8040
Anyone starting to look for work here in Adelaide can contact me to ask about free help (government funded, not Centrelink!) - the help available depends on where you live but email me with your suburb and whether its North, East, West or South and I'll email you the contact details.

We're temporarily in Southern suburbs and would be interested in finding out more