Guest vikkiann

School work experience

Guest vikkiann

Hi all

I have a 14 year old son who i need to find a placement for, for his work experience, if i leave it to him he'll be doing nothing!!!

I think it's in Early May for 1 week.

Ideally, he'd like it to be with a graphic designer but i'm open to suggestions. A bit of hard manual labour would do him the world of good!!!

Thanks in advance

Vikki

xx

Guest vikkiann

He has to sort it. When i was at school, they did it for us!

He's just brought the forms home and said he needs to do it in 4-5 weeks. Admittedly, he has known about it for a while but the xbox is more appealing. Hence, mum is on the computer!!!

The schools prefer the kids to organise it themselves, as the whole point is to get them used to finding opportunities, speaking to employers etc for themselves, rather than relying on their parents to do all the work for them. If he likes graphic design, get him onto the Yellow Pages ringing around.

I would agree with Diane. I used to work at a large organisation in Adelaide and we used to get loads of requests for work experience. If any requests came from parents, my colleague who dealt with it, would immediately disregard them.

Guest leemina

My son's done the same Vikki, left it till last minute. Its 6th May for a week. He did go round the library and ask if they had any work experience and has completed the forms etc. Xbox more interesting to them though. He doesnt want to be a librarian but the police station wont do w.e, and he didnt want to do coles, so library it is.

The schools prefer the kids to organise it themselves, as the whole point is to get them used to finding opportunities, speaking to employers etc for themselves, rather than relying on their parents to do all the work for them. If he likes graphic design, get him onto the Yellow Pages ringing around.

Very true - specially as work experience is generally part of the kids' PLP (Personal Learning Plan) which is an essential part of their SACE for a reason lol.

I am sure there are many parents that end up trying to find somewhere to take their kids but it is good if you can leave it to them.....even if it means surgically removing the X-Box controller from their fingers! If they choose their work experience well they might even find they land themselves a part time job at the end of it, which is awesome.

I know in the past it has been possible for the child to put back their work experience for a few (?) weeks. This means if the perfect placement is found but can't be offered at the 'right' time, the child can still take it.

Good luck...and hope your son gets a lot from the experience.

Guest vikkiann

He's been sat with the yellow pages and spent ages online and now has a list of companies to contact when he gets in from school tomorrow!